ZUNE - Now Officially .........OBSOLETE.

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
maybe even xBox...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    how is that? None of the products ship until at earliest next month.

XBOX 360 stomps iTV all over the map for gaming, HD movie downloads and content.

iPhone will be cool...but June. Anything and many a lot better could be out by then.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    Microsoft is now officially obsolete. The PC is being challenged as the center of your computing needs today and tomorrow your phone will take its place. Microsoft is never going to recover from this...
  • Reply 4 of 22
    octaneoctane Posts: 157member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Zune is to have games by 2008!

Some how I don't think Apple plans to get beat with this one Steve's new goal really is to take back the computer industry from M$, no matter how long or in what directions he has to go to get there. IMHO, this is a giant leap in that direction.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

how is that? None of the products ship until at earliest next month.

XBOX 360 stomps iTV all over the map for gaming, HD movie downloads and content.

iPhone will be cool...but June. Anything and many a lot better could be out by then.

Do you really think that there will be better in June? From who? I think the current telephony hegemony are pretty intimidated with Apple's product. All I've seen are the same companie trotting out new phones with incremental new features and the same crappy UI. I am certainly a cynic on this one.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    arty50arty50 Posts: 201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

I sort of agree with this.

For music, the iTV is the king. The XBox music integration sucks.

Video is a different story right now. The lack of HD content and 1080p is not smart. So the XBox wins here.

I was hoping iTV wouldn't be as limited as it is right now. I'm gonna stay in wait and see mode.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    Did anybody really think Zune ever had a chance?
  • Reply 8 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Arty50 View Post

I sort of agree with this.

For music, the iTV is the king. The XBox music integration sucks.

Video is a different story right now. The lack of HD content and 1080p is not smart. So the XBox wins here.

I was hoping iTV wouldn't be as limited as it is right now. I'm gonna stay in wait and see mode.

ummm, well have you used a 360 with a mac to stream audio, pictures, and video over? I'm guessing you haven't. I have a 360 and I use Connect 360 to stream my audio, pictures, and video over. The pictures and audio works perfectly, not one problem. Browsing for songs, and looking for picture albums is really easy and you can listen to music while your in mid game, change the song, and do anything else with music playing in the bg the whole time.

-- EDIT --

it now supports HD streaming...so I have no problems with this software at all! ...Mac and 360 work perfect together now
  • Reply 9 of 22
    Xbox > iTV by a significant margin

BUT

iPhone > Zune by just as significant a margin
  • Reply 10 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by turnwrite View Post

I agree, BUT you and me aren't what this product is for. It's for people who aren't tech savvy who want to watch and listen to media from their computer on their T.V. That's it. The Xbox cannot do what the Apple TV does plain and simple.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:

BUT

For the last time, you cannot compare xBox and Apple TV. It's like compating Apple's and Oranges, no pun intended. xBox is good at what it does; video games. Apple TV is good at what it does, connecting your computers with your TV for photos, movies, music, etc.

There fact is, most people will buy both because the products do not compete. And those who don't buy both won't buy the one because they don't game, or they don't want to stream stuff to their TV from their computer.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    Can the XBox 360 stream my DVDs that I encoded into H264 from my iTunes library??? I didn't think so. It's comparing two totally different beasts....That being said...I AM buying the XBox 360 once the HDMI/120GB HDD version is released.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    If you exclude games and video rentals, then I don't think that xbox > aTV - certainly the interface of aTV looks a lot nicer than the xbox interface.

And I hate typing in those crap xbox point serial numbers to add money to my 360.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    IMHO MS wa R.I.P. back in 2001 ,when we saw the first ipod "We changed the music industry"...Keynote 2007,Apple makes it easy and fun to have a comuter,although Apple is now just Apple Inc. very telling of the future .....The day you can run MS apps with out there OS on your Mac ,MS is DEAD ,Apple has been marginalising MS for the last 5 year's I saw the light in August of 2005 & my family is seeing this also,not perfect but ten times better than MS <ZUNE> etc....
  • Reply 15 of 22
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Quote:

One would hope so, it costs more than twice as much.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    you CAN stream music, photos and video (HD video too) with the 360...I just said that. The iTV is pointless to me cause the 360 DOES this already. You can sync your iTunes lib. to the 360 very easily, and do what the iTV does...I dont understand what the iTV does that the 360 can't.

here is all you need...

http://www.nullriver.com/index/products/connect360

I have it, works perfect, runs in the BG and you never need to open it. Streams all the music, photos, and HD you want.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    trick falltrick fall Posts: 1,271member
    I don't play games and the iTV is much cheaper no?
  • Reply 18 of 22
    octaneoctane Posts: 157member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Digital Disasta View Post

...The iTV is pointless to me cause the 360 DOES this already. You can sync your iTunes lib. to the 360 very easily, and do what the iTV does...I dont understand what the iTV does that the 360 can't...

From the page you linked:

Quote:

iTunes Music Store purchased content is DRM-protected and is not supported.

If you don't buy songs/TV shows/Movies from Apple, since you have a 360, for YOU it probably is pointless. 8) But not for me.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by octane View Post

From the page you linked:

If you don't buy songs/TV shows/Movies from Apple, since you have a 360, for YOU it probably is pointless. 8) But not for me.

Yeah for me it is pointless, and I do buy music from the iTunes store, and it does stream over. I know the videos I buy I need to convert being that it can only stream WMV, but hey I was just letting people know that you don't have to buy a AppleTV if you have a 360. 8)
  • Reply 20 of 22
    The Zune will outsell the iPod in 2007. You heard it here first

(Edit: in 2007)