can't install iCal

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I deleted iCal soon after I first got my Macbook, but now I can't reinstall iCal. It says that I can't install it on this computer. Please help me.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by collegeflash10 View Post

I deleted iCal soon after I first got my Macbook, but now I can't reinstall iCal. It says that I can't install it on this computer. Please help me.

How are you trying to install it? Are you sure it was completely deleted? I'd check the Applications folder or search for it using Spotlight -- it may just be misplaced!
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Yes i deleted everything in the application folder as well in the library folder.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    regreg Posts: 832member
    The easiest way to get it back it to use your install disk. Just do a Archive and Install. That way you don't lose anything and get back the app you deleted.

Here's what the Apple site says.

I can't install software

If your computer won't let you install software, first note that you need to be an administrator of the computer in order to install software. If someone else set up your computer for you and didn't make you an administrator, check with him or her about getting access so you can install software.

If you are an administrator but can't install software, try the following things to resolve the issue:

Make sure that the software you're trying to install can be installed on your computer. Check the system requirements, and make sure you're not trying to install an "update" instead of the actual software (if that's your intention).

If you're trying to install a file that you downloaded from the Internet, make sure that the file doesn't end with a .exe extension. These types of files don't work on a Mac.

Try repairing Disk Permissions: Open Disk Utility (/Applications/Utilities), select your hard disk volume in the left pane, click the First Aid tab, then click Repair Disk Permissions.

Check with the manufacturer of the software you're trying to install. There could be something wrong with the file or the media that contains the file.

If you downloaded software from the web, try downloading the file again.

Try creating a new admin user account:

From the Apple menu, choose System Preferences.

Click Accounts.

Click the plus sign (+) button to create a new account.

Enter information for the new account in the designated fields.

Click the Security tab, then select the "Allow user to administer this computer" checkbox.

Try to install the software.

If the software installs in your new account, there's something in your other account that's preventing you from installing software. If the software doesn't install, there could be a problem with the software itself, or you may need to reinstall Mac OS X (see "Everything on my Mac is behaving oddly" for instructions on doing an Archive and Install).

Good luck.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:

Yes i deleted everything in the application folder as well in the library folder.

Uh ... why? Cause that means you deleted the Utilities folder (including X11 and the Terminal) and Safari, meaning you can't get updates...

You best off just pulling out the install disk, achiving everything and starting over....
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AgNuke1707 View Post

Uh ... why? Cause that means you deleted the Utilities folder (including X11 and the Terminal) and Safari, meaning you can't get updates...

You best off just pulling out the install disk, achiving everything and starting over....

I didn't delete everything in those folders just things were iCal related. Sorry for not being more specific.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

I didn't delete everything in those folders just things were iCal related. Sorry for not being more specific.

No problem! Anyway, iCal should be listed as an optional install. When you insert the disk, open it and you'll find a package that says "Optional Installs" ... open it and you'll find a screen with a bunch of Apps listed ... make sure iCal is checked off and then install. Always remember to backup your data though. In fact, just uncheck everything besides iCal that you can ... that way there's less of a possibility of your prefs or data being overwritten
  • Reply 7 of 7
    thanks for your help I reinstalled it from the disk and it worked.