High-quality photos of Apple TV and software interface

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Why in the world would the capacity only read 32GB. Even after formatting space, you'd expect it to be around 38GB. The Operating System itself shouldn't be included in "capacity" and if they are, thats an inconsistancy with the macs...pretty confusing.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    No one else finds it curious that Apple releases two products.

One product has had a great deal of attention and development. While the other product feels like an incomplete afterthought.

I think its obvious there is more to come with AppleTV. Just as we have not seen anything new with Apple's software. There is a lot more to come.
  • Reply 2 of 31
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    double post
  • Reply 3 of 31
    AppleInsiderAppleInsider Posts: 63,192administrator
    The conventional Macintosh personal computer is almost an afterthought inside Apple's booth at this week's Macworld Expo in San Francisco. After all, that isn't what chief executive Steve Jobs showed up to talk about.

Twenty Sony BRAVIA flat LCD screens line the entranceway to the company's exhibit -- 10 one each side of a sprawling display table -- each of which is hooked up to a pre-production Apple TV unit and staffed by an Apple fellow.

The remainder of Apple's exhibit does include some Macs, but the focus is largely on the emerging digital media revolution comprised of products like iPhone, Apple TV and iTunes.

Despite Tuesday marking the Apple TV premier -- the official coming out party of the device formally known as iTV -- many specifications of the product remain shrouded in secrecy.

Unlike iPhone, Apple has yet to admit that the device runs on Mac OS X code. Inside is an Intel chip, but, similarly, the company isn't ready to to reveal which one.

Some photos of the $299 Apple TV -- due to begin shipping in February -- along with its elegant user interface are published below:

• Reply 4 of 31
    Please ask one of the Apple reps if it MUST be a widescreen TV or could it be a standard aspect ratio with progressive? (4:3 with progressive scan). I really don't want to have to buy a widescreen TV just to run it.
  • Reply 5 of 31
    Why does the Tomb Raider movie info list the actors from the Italian Job?
  • Reply 6 of 31
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,239member
    Anyone that is concerned about Apple losing interest in the Macintosh... that will never happen.

1) Macs will be a platform upon which iPhone widgets are created.

2) Macs will be used to produce podcasts for iTV content.

3) Macs will be used to record music using Garage Band.

4) Macs will be used to organize photos in iPhoto that are served up to iTV.

I think you get the idea... Macs aren't going anywhere, they are a vital component of the full solution... content creation and management. iTV and iPhone are primarily about using and consuming that content.
  • Reply 7 of 31
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

No one else finds it curious that Apple releases two products.

One product has had a great deal of attention and development. While the other product feels like an incomplete afterthought.

I think its obvious there is more to come with AppleTV. Just as we have not seen anything new with Apple's software. There is a lot more to come.

I have to modify your statement.

Apple released three products. The first two, as you say.

But, the third wasn't commented upon at all.
  • Reply 8 of 31
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    "Twenty Sony BRAVIA flat LCD screens line the entranceway to the company's exhibit -- 10 one each side of a sprawling display table -- each of which is hooked up to a pre-production Apple TV unit and staffed by an Apple fellow."

A precursor to those TV's being Apple branded, it's soooooooooo obvious.
  • Reply 9 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

"Twenty Sony BRAVIA flat LCD screens line the entranceway to the company's exhibit -- 10 one each side of a sprawling display table -- each of which is hooked up to a pre-production Apple TV unit and staffed by an Apple fellow."

A precursor to those TV's being Apple branded, it's soooooooooo obvious.

Yes, I don't care what anybody here says, at some point in time Apple will have Tv's.

With them removing Computer from the corporate name, they are showing which direction they are moving in.

I don't doubt that computers will continue to be a large part of the business, but the percentage might shrink.

If Apple sells 10 million phones in 2008, at $500 apiece, that's $5 BILLION dollars!! Add that to the sales of the iPod, and the music, and the Tv programs, and the movies, and the software, and the monitors, and the Apple Tv, and the... well, the point is made.
  • Reply 10 of 31
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Yeah I also think little by little apple is getting into the consumer electronics game. What I don't get is why there tv demos are always sony, use sharp or someone that's not as competitive with you.
  • Reply 11 of 31
    Quote:

Yes, I don't care what anybody here says, at some point in time Apple will have Tv's.

With them removing Computer from the corporate name, they are showing which direction they are moving in.

I don't doubt that computers will continue to be a large part of the business, but the percentage might shrink.

If Apple sells 10 million phones in 2008, at $500 apiece, that's $5 BILLION dollars!! Add that to the sales of the iPod, and the music, and the Tv programs, and the movies, and the software, and the monitors, and the Apple Tv, and the... well, the point is made.

*Nods.

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 12 of 31
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I have to modify your statement.

Apple released three products. The first two, as you say.

But, the third wasn't commented upon at all.

Would you comment on it in front of a bunch of nerds with no gigabit?
  • Reply 13 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

Would you comment on it in front of a bunch of nerds with no gigabit?

They made a big deal of the Express when they first introduced it, so, sure!

But, they only wanted to talk about these two, to the exclusion of everything else.

I think that was a mistake.

Look at what they are doing here. All of their connectivity devices for the home are taking on the Mini shape! There must be a reason for that, other than to just have a common style.

I still think my idea of a modular system from Apple, based on the Mini as control center, is valid. When will we see such a system? I have no idea, but I strongly feel as though we WILL see one, even if it comes to us one piece at a time.
  • Reply 14 of 31
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

If Apple sells 10 million phones in 2008, at $500 a piece, that's $5 BILLION dollars!!.

I'm gonna say they sell 20 million phones this year, even though the phone's out late in the year. And they sell 50 million next year, when word starts to get around about how good this phone is, and they make a smaller, cheaper non-video version too.

10 million is their way of playing it safe, as not to get the analysts too excited. I've know doubt in my mind that they'll absolutely crush those numbers.
  • Reply 15 of 31
    the fact that this AppleTV cannot serve as a wireless router function is a major bummer IMO.

the products announced are very promising but it feels incomplete because keynote didn't say much about macs and ipods (except for iphone). I was really looking forward to Leopard update. Interesting how all the items Apple announced won't be available for couple months.
  • Reply 16 of 31
    What I find amazing is that the Apple TV doesn't have a dvd player. There must obviously be a reason why they won't put it in there. However, as it stands now, the Apple TV will not be a big success till it gets a dvd player in it. Why would I want one more box? Heck, if you want the functionality of the Apple TV, go to www.dlo.com and pick up the home dock for $149.

The Apple TV better have some serious improvements if it wants to get into the home space. Maybe they're waiting to see who will win the Blue-Ray/HD DVD battle before they drop the dvd player in. Or maybe they are stupid enough to think that people don't want to rent movies and are willing to pay $10 for a movie that won't look great on the wide screen.

Mac Mini - $600 Does everything you would want except for DVR functions

Apple TV - $300 Falls short of what you would want from a media player.

Pick something in the middle Apple.
  • Reply 17 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I'm gonna say they sell 20 million phones this year, even though the phone's out late in the year. And they sell 50 million next year, when word starts to get around about how good this phone is, and they make a smaller, cheaper non-video version too.

10 million is their way of playing it safe, as not to get the analysts too excited. I've know doubt in my mind that they'll absolutely crush those numbers.

I can't see how that would be possible.

Cingular has about 60 million customers. They are the only ones to offer the phone. It is expensive.

5 million this year seems to be right. 12 million through 2008 seems to be a good number as well, as long as they don't lower the price somewhere in that timeframe, because it will have gone international by late 2007.

If the price drops significantly, or they add lower priced models, then sales could double, who knows?

But, otherwise, the market isn't that big.
  • Reply 18 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lizard View Post

What I find amazing is that the Apple TV doesn't have a dvd player. There must obviously be a reason why they won't put it in there. However, as it stands now, the Apple TV will not be a big success till it gets a dvd player in it. Why would I want one more box? Heck, if you want the functionality of the Apple TV, go to www.dlo.com and pick up the home dock for $149.

The Apple TV better have some serious improvements if it wants to get into the home space. Maybe they're waiting to see who will win the Blue-Ray/HD DVD battle before they drop the dvd player in. Or maybe they are stupid enough to think that people don't want to rent movies and are willing to pay $10 for a movie that won't look great on the wide screen.

Mac Mini - $600 Does everything you would want except for DVR functions

Apple TV - $300 Falls short of what you would want from a media player.

Pick something in the middle Apple.

It's not a DVD player. That's not its purpose. It's pretty well understood. The media rests in the computers hooked up. That's the point.
  • Reply 19 of 31
    Quote:

I can't see how that would be possible.

Cingular has about 60 million customers. They are the only ones to offer the phone. It is expensive.

5 million this year seems to be right. 12 million through 2008 seems to be a good number as well, as long as they don't lower the price somewhere in that timeframe, because it will have gone international by late 2007.

If the price drops significantly, or they add lower priced models, then sales could double, who knows?

But, otherwise, the market isn't that big.

I don't know if they'll sell 50 million of the current phone but I think they'll sell well beyond the 10 million estimate. And I think those numbers also are worldwide numbers so Cingular having 60 million customers won't matter. They are looking the market in Europe and Asia to come up with those numbers. And we don't know how long the exclusive with Cingular is. When the Razr came out with was exclusive with Cingular (and it cost around 3 or 4 hundred dollars if I remember right) but now you can get them from all carrier and everyone has one.

More than a computer, more than an iPod, more than even a car, a cool cellphone is somewhat of a status symbol for a lot of people. If Apple can get production up to speed quickly, they will sell a ton.

I am one of the last remaining Americans without a cellphone and I want one. The thing does everything I'd want it to do. And my birthday is in June.
  • Reply 20 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by halhiker View Post

I don't know if they'll sell 50 million of the current phone but I think they'll sell well beyond the 10 million estimate. And I think those numbers also are worldwide numbers so Cingular having 60 million customers won't matter. They are looking the market in Europe and Asia to come up with those numbers. And we don't know how long the exclusive with Cingular is. When the Razr came out with was exclusive with Cingular (and it cost around 3 or 4 hundred dollars if I remember right) but now you can get them from all carrier and everyone has one.

More than a computer, more than an iPod, more than even a car, a cool cellphone is somewhat of a status symbol for a lot of people. If Apple can get production up to speed quickly, they will sell a ton.

I am one of the last remaining Americans without a cellphone and I want one. The thing does everything I'd want it to do. And my birthday is in June.

The numbers are through 2008.

Europe won't get the phone until the end of 2007, so no contribution there for the first 6 months, at least.

Asia won't get the phone until sometime in 2008, so a large part of the year they won't contribute either. The average income in the Asian area is much lower than that in the USA and parts of Europe. $500 and $600 phones will be a more difficult sell.

I don't know what part of Europe this will be released in, but Eastern Europe has much lower incomes than the western half does, and even there, Portugal, and even to some extent, Spain, have lower incomes relative to others.

For most of this period the phones will be either not available, or very expensive.