Tips And Tricks

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I am new to the board. I was in comp-usa and was trying out the new macs. one thing that i found was that a mac mini 1.83 gig, 512 ram, 80 gig hdd, seemed to be alot more responsive when opening the ilife apps. This is compared to a 2.16 gig imac standard config. i have a mac mini cd 1.66, 512 ram, 80 gig hdd, and it runs alot slower than the one in the store. Can anyone share some tips or tricks to speed up performance of everyday (light) activities, other than replacing hdd or more ram? Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    More Ram is the best thing you can do. You will notice a big difference with 1GB. I use a Mini Solo with 512MB and it sucks even doing basic things. My HD is crunching away. My own Core Duo 1.66 with 1GB is much better.

Even so, you can optimize things a bit. Updating your prebinding is supposed to help launching app speed. Clean out your caches if you notice a lot of slow down (either use cocktail or I think booting safe mode does this too). Try not to have too many fonts on your system enabled at once. Check/repair permissions once in a while. Let the cron scripts run (they don't really do that much more than manual cleaning).
  • Reply 2 of 4
    The flip side of more RAM, is to use less RAM. Keep only the widgets you actually use.

Also, I'd rate an iMac 2.16 being slower than a Mini 1.83 as an anomaly. Perhaps the iMac had a crashed App hogging CPU power needlessly?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by customav73 View Post

I am new to the board. I was in comp-usa and was trying out the new macs. one thing that i found was that a mac mini 1.83 gig, 512 ram, 80 gig hdd, seemed to be alot more responsive when opening the ilife apps.

It may be that the iLife apps were recently opened on the mac mini. If I'm not mistaken, once you open an app in a session and then close it, it'll open up much faster the second time around.

Can anybody confirm this...
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sc_markt View Post

It may be that the iLife apps were recently opened on the mac mini. If I'm not mistaken, once you open an app in a session and then close it, it'll open up much faster the second time around.

Can anybody confirm this...

That is in fact correct. I just did it with Keynote on my MacBook. The icon bounced several times the first time, and once the second. I figure this is because the app still exists in caches and in the RAM.