Jaguar + iBook + iPhoto + Composite Video Problem

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
After reading a notice on MacFixit today, I confirmed this new issue. After upgrading to Jaguar 10.2.1, when attempting to run an iPhoto slideshow using the Apple composite video cable (to display on a TV), the music stops, the slideshow changes to a lower resolution, and the slide transitions no longer work.

I?m using a 14? iBook with 384MB RAM, with iPhoto 1.1.1. After starting iPhoto and selecting a group of photos to view, I clicked on the player button. It started immediately and worked normally, cross-fading nicely between photos, playing the selected music in the background. While the slideshow was running, I plugged in Apple?s composite video connector, which worked perfectly in 10.1.5, and the music immediately stopped, the resolution on the slide show dropped below the set 1024x768, and it began very jerkily displaying the photos. This feature is now essentially unusable. When I stopped the slideshow by clicking on the touch pad, removed the composite video cable, and restarted the slideshow, everything was again fine. When I plugged in the cable, and started the slideshow, I got either a blank white screen with no music, or the previously described jerky, low res photos.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    maybe if apple STOPPED TRYING TO CRIPPLE THE IBOOKS VIDEO OUT THINGS LIKE THIS WOULDN'T HAPPEN!!!! (pissed because this was a main reason why i got my TiBook instead of a cheaper and lighter and smaller 12.1 iBook) not that im unhappy with the TiBook, but it would have made the decision much easier...
  • Reply 2 of 4
    This problem seems to be linked to iPhoto, perhaps OpenGL, in some way. DVD's played through the composite video, as well as PowerPoint presentations, seem to work OK.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    [quote]Originally posted by Paul:

<strong>maybe if apple STOPPED TRYING TO CRIPPLE THE IBOOKS VIDEO OUT THINGS LIKE THIS WOULDN'T HAPPEN!!!!</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'll second that.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    A partial workaround was posted on MacFIxit today. If you plug in the composite cable BEFORE starting up iPhoto, the slideshow will play (without the white screen or much reduced resolution), but still NO music background. I also noted that the transitions, although more normal with this workaround, were also slower. This slow transition was why I switched my iBook to thousands of colors, since my Rage Pro video couldn't handle the transition smoothly in millions of colors. Those with the newer Radeon Mobility chip may not notice this difference.