Quick-and-dirty snapshots of Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Microsoft Corp.’s Macintosh Business Unit this week revealed at Macworld Expo 2007 a new version of Office for Mac that remains under development.

The Mac BU said it intends to deliver the Universal software suite for PowerPC- and Intel-based Macs -- Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac -- in the second half of 2007.

As part of its exhibit at the Macworld conference, the Redmond, Wash-based software giant has been offering quick previews of Word, one of the suite's components.

Some snapshots of the software's new user interface follow:

Please Note: Microsoft is not previewing Office 2008 or Word on terminals accessible by attendees and is instead offering brief presentations via a projector screen. Therefore image quality is poor.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    looks decent, and seems like allot of the inspiration comes from iwork, meh.
  • Reply 2 of 42
    Jeez, even on a Mac, Word still looks soooo booooooooring.
  • Reply 3 of 42
    In my opinion, the only way to actually improve MS Office/Word is to remove features, not rearrange the ones that are already there. Sometimes (many times), less is more.
  • Reply 4 of 42
    rob05aurob05au Posts: 348member
    Looks quite interesting and looks a bit more mac like in some ways.
  • Reply 5 of 42
    tbotbo Posts: 2member
    Poor guys over there in Redmond,

they seem to have completely worked in vain. This looks even more mac-unlike than the first beta of OpenOffice running with X11. What a horrible interface! Bloated. This looks like everything MS has not understood when writing software: they throw everything in yout face. What good is it to have a constant look at 25 different layout options when you chose one already? Same goes for formatting. This cries for illegibility. Wild formatting without a clue. Office ladies will sigh at the options blocking them from writing, writers will search for options in a mess of icons.

What a piece of crap. Money don't buy brains, Miss Ho.
  • Reply 6 of 42
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tbo View Post

Poor guys over there in Redmond

Wrong.

Silicon Valley.

Try again!
  • Reply 7 of 42
    It seems that Microsoft is the largest user of the "Command C" option, they seem to copy everything.

To me it looks like they have just taken pages and created an inferior merger with word. There are a lot of design elements that are stolen from OSX. Same with Vista but that is old news.

Still I will get it since it fits in with OSX and hopefully it will be scriptable using apple script if it is compiled with X Code for real....

Let s wait and see.

By the way

The day Mircosoft makes a product that doesn't suck will be the day they start making vacuum cleaners.

Steiner
  • Reply 8 of 42
    I think the UI would like a lot better is they used a unified toolbar instead of the old pinstripes...

But I guess that would make it look like Pages. \
  • Reply 9 of 42
    Hmmm, Pages' uglier, fatter sister.

Who are MacBU aiming this at?

It's going to be totally different to the old Mac Word, alienating their old customers and it's also totally different to any version of Word on Windows, alienating people who use both systems.

MacBU, if you're listening, you're one ace-in-the-hole was compatibility with Windows. You're going out of your way to screw it up.

Roll on Pages v3.
  • Reply 10 of 42
    Well, it seems that the formatting palette disapeared. Is it false or did the MBu replace it with an page_like_non_user_friendly inspector ?
  • Reply 11 of 42
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    You know what I would like in a word processor ...

One that is more of a document database and management tool. Something that could make up for the deficiencies in windows and provide more version control and user level permissions. Much better integration of word excel and pp.
  • Reply 12 of 42
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Yeah, I'd like my Office suite to maintain a versioned document database for me, indeed it could even hide the file management from me, much in the same way that iTunes hides file management. Categorise documents (heirarchically), find documents by metadata (c.f., view by artist, view by album in iTunes), and so on. I have a Mac OS X text editor application that does this, albeit for text files only and in a limited manner, so it isn't that difficult. I think that such a system would be useful for many people.

You may wish to restrict document access (no-access, read-only, read-write, ...) to yourself, any user on the system, any user on a network, etc. I know that Microsoft will have server software that does this, but it doesn't scale down to small businesses and individuals.

Maybe Apple could put it into a future iWork ...
  • Reply 13 of 42
    josa92josa92 Posts: 193member
    isn't Karen Walker from Will & Grace?
  • Reply 14 of 42
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steiner View Post

It seems that Microsoft is the largest user of the "Command C" option, they seem to copy everything.

To me it looks like they have just taken pages and created an inferior merger with word. There are a lot of design elements that are stolen from OSX. Same with Vista but that is old news.

Still I will get it since it fits in with OSX and hopefully it will be scriptable using apple script if it is compiled with X Code for real....

Let s wait and see.

By the way

The day Mircosoft makes a product that doesn't suck will be the day they start making vacuum cleaners.

Steiner

I agree 100%. Look at the templates they demo! They are stolen right from Pages - even the Latin placeholding text!!! They even use the same phrase, "Lorem Ipsum Dolor", as Apple does in Pages!

Incredible gall.
  • Reply 15 of 42
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by josa92 View Post

isn't Karen Walker from Will & Grace?

Yes, she is!
  • Reply 16 of 42
    Cluttered, ugly interface. Myriad of tools that the vast majorty of Word users aren't going to use. A word processor shouldn't be a page layout tool. I wish they'd scale back a version that didn't offer to do 2000 things in a moderately crappy manner, and instead offer one that did 500 Word Processor things relatively well.
  • Reply 17 of 42
    yoseyose Posts: 62member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

I agree 100%. Look at the templates they demo! They are stolen right from Pages - even the Latin placeholding text!!! They even use the same phrase, "Lorem Ipsum Dolor", as Apple does in Pages!

Incredible gall.

Well, to be fair, Lorem Ipsum is pretty much a standard for placeholder text.
  • Reply 18 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

Incredible gall.

Umm, you do know that "Lorem ipso dolor" is placeholder text that has been used by almost every desktop publishing program. Pages didn't invent it, and neither did PageMaker, Quark or InDesign.

Still MS has not shown me why I should spend 10 x $$$ on Office, when iWork 07 (please, please, please have a spreadsheet app in it) will work just fine for me.
  • Reply 19 of 42
    zanshinzanshin Posts: 350member
    Ya mean to tell me there are still people out there using WordArt?

I thought the U.N. banned it in 1996 when scientists found irrefutable links to workplace insanity, and ruled companies could flog and fire employees for it's use in documents or presentations.
  • Reply 20 of 42
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zanshin View Post

Ya mean to tell me there are still people out there using WordArt?

I thought the U.N. banned it in 1996 when scientists found irrefutable links to workplace insanity, and ruled companies could flog and fire employees for it's use in documents or presentations.

Yes, it was. Word Art users should be tried for crimes against humanity and turned over to the Iraqi government for execution.