Backing up - syncing

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Ok, I've asked about this before. I have an iMac and MacBook and am often writing or altering documents on the go or in different locations. Therefore it is vital for me that my documents folder should always include any new documents and/or updated documents for use. It was suggested here before that I save everything to iDisk, which has worked well up until now, because I simply choose to use or load the latest version of any given file. However, recently I was somewhere with no internet connection so my MacBook could not access any of the documents. Ideally what I want is a means of syncing or backing-up any work I've done to the iDisk each day on both systems and both systems also checking for any updated/new files on iDisk/Backup and downloading them. I was told at an AppleCentre today that Backup should let me do this. Yet, whilst I can see that backup plans will automatically upload file contents to my .Mac account I cannot see anyway for it automatically download new or edited files. Is there a way, and if not what do you suggest? I've never used Automator but is this an area where it could help?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mpw_amherst View Post

I was told at an AppleCentre today that Backup should let me do this. Yet, whilst I can see that backup plans will automatically upload file contents to my .Mac account I cannot see anyway for it automatically download new or edited files. Is there a way, and if not what do you suggest? I've never used Automator but is this an area where it could help?

I?d strongly recommend against using Backup for anything. Even backing up. I?ve read numerous horror stories about people trying to restore from their Backup.app stores, and the whole thing breaking down.

You could have a look at Chronosync from Econ Technologies. It handles folder-to-folder syncing in a number of different ways. The extent of the options available for you there should allow you to come up with a syncing system to satisfy your requirements.

You could get it to sync with your iDisk (in which case it would need to be installed on both machines); however, if you?re going to be in a similar situation as you recently were, without Internet access for your iBook, I?d recommend that you do syncs over a LAN at home before you go on the road (I?m assuming it?s only you who?re updating these documents?if someone is updating a document on the iMac after you set out ?on the road? then obviously you?d both need to be syncing over the Web). In order to sync over a LAN, you simply have to be able to mount folder you want to sync from the second computer on the first computer (using sharing). After the first time, Chronosync will automatically mount the other computer when it needs to (provided that it?s on and connected to the network, that is!).

It handles duplicate files well, either prompting for a user response, or storing a copy of the conflicting file in a special folder on the original computer. The only problem I?ve had is when I delete a load of documents from my MBP, come back and sync with the Mac Pro, and it syncs all the documents back over. The second time I delete, however, the deletion tends to 'stick'.

Hope this is helpful.