Reality of New Mac Pros??

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
O.k.- I know there have been countless threads here about New Mac Pros and the Octo-Core version. But now that Macworld has passed, what is the reality of new Mac appearing soon (1-2 months)? I just don't want to buy one now and in one or two weeks have a new version come out. I have a G4 Dual 500 that I'm itchin' to replace! Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

-Mike

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    moochmooch Posts: 113member
    If a new model with the Core 2 Quad did come out, it would probably supplement rather than replace the current models, and be more expensive. That would be my guess anyway.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    You should be able to get a used one (last revision only) and drop in the quad core processors. Same socket I believe, But if a new one did come out it would probably be cheaper to buy it from Apple than to buy a used one, and a set of processors. Mac's hold their value very very well.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    thttht Posts: 5,471member
    An octo-core Mac is going to be announced in a press release now. No keynotes or special press briefings.

Yup, expensive. Closer to $4k than $3k. That's if Apple thinks it is worth it.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by THT View Post

An octo-core Mac is going to be announced in a press release now. No keynotes or special press briefings.

What about Form factor? Do you think there is a redesign in the works too? A smaller box would be appealing too. I had figured that when they came out with the Mac Pro it would be smaller because supposedly the original design was to keep the G5 cooler. Maybe now after initally keeping the G5 enclosure to get the Mac Pro to market, what do you think of a re-design?

-Mike
  • Reply 5 of 20
    jaddiejaddie Posts: 110member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by THT View Post

Dear THT

Really? Holy Cow! (I remember the 350MHz 9600. I think that box sold for around US$5600.)

When you say "now," do you mean in the next few days?

I was expecting the introduction of new Mac Pros to coincide with the Creative Suite 3 release. I know they're different companies, but both Apple and Adobe have cited pent-up demand for Mac Pros and Creative Suite 3, respectively, in their SEC filings. I forgot the verbiage, but their statements indicated that we Mac folks are waiting for CS3 before purchasing new hardware.

THT, what would you predict the performance difference will be between a dual 3GHz dual-core Mac Pro and the fastest near-term quad-core dual-processor Mac Pros in Photoshop CS3? (I realize that's a pretty "out-there" question, but I'd still like to know what your opinion is.

THT, do you foresee any display updates and/or pricing changes before early April?

Sincerely,

Jaddie
  • Reply 6 of 20
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    I forsee the Mac Pros being updated / released in the next few weeks. (2-4 weeks). The quads have officially shipped as of 7 days ago. They will be all over the place soon enough. And since they ARE a drop in replacement to current processors, i don't see any reason to post pone the release.

Your question with CS3 is a difficult one without any specifics. I've heard everything from minimal difference with added cores to 1/3 performance gain. I don't know what to believe because of the rumors. It greatly depends on adobe's programming style / design.

I'm waiting no matter what for Rev B... just so I don't screw myself out of some $$$.

The design of the Mac Pro did change from PPC -> Intel. More harddrive bays (big complaint... right onlooker? ), dual optical drives (big complain... right onlooker? ), redesigned cooling systems. I believe a new form factor would be a whole new machine. These are aimed at the professional community (unfortunately) which features over size is more important. As long as it fits in my desk I'm not going to complain.

You may want to check out this article on anandtech's review of clovertown against other xeon / opteron cpu's. I have to admit it didn't do as well as I had hoped. But hopefully that is just because the software isn't optimized for it.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Please bear in mind that:

1. hardly any of todays applications will be able to utilise all eight cores (most struggle with four cores).

2. each of the eight cores is clocked slower than each of the cores found in the current quad-core machines.

3. the task of managing eight cores represents quite an overhead.

As many of the sites who have dropped two Clovertowns in to a Mac Pro have pointed out, the real-world result is that you end up only being able to employ two or maybe four of the eight cores, and each of those cores is slower. Factor in the eight-way overhead, and theres a very real chance that an octo-core machine will be slower than a quad-core. When the site reports that 'no matter what we threw at it, we were unable to saturate all eight cores' you can read that two ways:

4. the machine is SO powerful that it'll devour everything that you throw at it without it touching the sides.

5. the software just can't employ all eight cores and it's a complete waste of time.

For this reason, I don't think you'll see Apple replacing the two dual-core CPUs found in the current quad-core line up with a single quad-core CPU (kind of like they did with the last iteration of the G5 tower family).

The fact is, that the majority of users who fancy the octo-core machine would be better served by investing in a quad-core machine stuffed with memory and a x4 RAID-0 setup.

Regardless, I think we will see an octo-core version of the Mac Pro at some point, because you could argue that if there are customers who are running the super exotic software that is able to employ all eight cores, then they are at the very top end of the Pro user scale and therefore firmly in the Mac Pros target market. Apple wants to be seen to be able to cater for the real double-pro users, and if that means selling just 100 units a year then so be it.

As for updates to the mainstream Mac Pro itself, until Intel release faster Woodcrest CPUs all you're likely to see is a refresh that delivers some sub-system tweaks. There's nothing to stop Apple offering different graphics cards options, and bumping the stock config. from a 7300 to a 7600 seems like an obvious move to many. Likewise, there's nothing to stop Apple shipping a RAID-0 config. Both of these tweaks would be dead simple to implements and realise impressive real-world performance boosts. Because such a refresh is CPU independent, it's almost impossible to predict when it might happen.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

When the site reports that 'no matter what we threw at it, we were unable to saturate all eight cores' you can read that two ways:

4. the machine is SO powerful that it'll devour everything that you throw at it without it touching the sides.

5. the software just can't employ all eight cores and it's a complete waste of time.

The way I take it is the software just can't employ all eight cores and is a complete waste of time for a few reasons (unless the site that said that didn't konw what they were doing).

Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but aren't some compilers and benchmark utilities (dnetc?) capable of using as many cores as available?

I've never compiled on a machine with more than 4 cores and I've never cluster compiled. Anyone know about this?
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Thanks for all the replies! All this is making me think I should just go for a variation of the current Mac Pro's now.

Thanks!

-Mike
  • Reply 10 of 20
    IMO the main reason not to buy now is a chance of a price drop. My biggest fear is buying a machine and 4 days later it dropping 400 dollars for the exact same config. Actually another reason to wait may be for a chance of more graphics card options. A 7300gt is quite pathetic to be shipping with these machines. A 7300gt is ~$100 card. While they offer 7600gt for the iMac 24". It makes sense there will be graphic card updates for the next rev. Whenever that happens.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    The only advice I can offer is wait until I've bought my Mac Pro - you can be damn sure a new machine will be released a week after...
  • Reply 12 of 20
    Quote:

The only advice I can offer is wait until I've bought my Mac Pro - you can be damn sure a new machine will be released a week after...

When Mac Pro will be come out...???
  • Reply 13 of 20
    If you mean the machine itself, then...um...its already out

If you mean when will they be updated, then I can safely say probably before March.

Mid-February most likely.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    ... and by that time I will have slit both my wrists and learn another trade besides programming. It's ok Apple. Don't feel bad you're going to lose a customer to death. I'll do it!
  • Reply 15 of 20
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    Well, I've been awaiting and I have to buy. I'm running out of time and can't delay any further.

Tomorrow is crunch day. If there's no announcement made tomorrow then I'm ordering - have to.

So I reckon a Wednesday update is a given.

<shakes head>
  • Reply 16 of 20
    Sorry to hear that :-/. You made it so far.... so close... another one bites the dust.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    lol - yeah, it blows chunks !

oh well, at the end of the day it'll only be a few dollars I could have saved.

I think they'll likely offer the octo at the top end with the others moving down the rank.

A 2.66 for me and 5 gig of Ram, tomorrow. wheee ... it'll be great.

I skipped the whole G5 thing so I'm looking forward to it.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:

1. hardly any of todays applications will be able to utilise all eight cores (most struggle with four cores)...

...Regardless, I think we will see an octo-core version of the Mac Pro at some point, because you could argue that if there are customers who are running the super exotic software that is able to employ all eight cores, then they are at the very top end of the Pro user scale and therefore firmly in the Mac Pros target market...

Can anyone give me an idea of what kind of software can make good use of Octo-Core processing?

I'm guessing that Shake's 2008 successor will, and maybe a super high-end version of FIlemaker could.

My line of thought here is that surely Intel realized that there wasn't going to be a lot of software for these chips but they sank a lot of development money into them anyway.

Is it possible they've partnered with Apple to produce a new category of software to raise the demand for these chips?

Could this be why iLife '07 hasn't been unveiled yet? Could there be a new animation program (or something else) that raises the demand for Octo-macs?
  • Reply 19 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RobM View Post

lol - yeah, it blows chunks !

oh well, at the end of the day it'll only be a few dollars I could have saved.

I think they'll likely offer the octo at the top end with the others moving down the rank.

A 2.66 for me and 5 gig of Ram, tomorrow. wheee ... it'll be great.

I skipped the whole G5 thing so I'm looking forward to it.

I don't think you missed much with the g5. I didn't really like my rev b 2.0. Glad I got rid of it now.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Could this be why iLife '07 hasn't been unveiled yet? Could there be a new animation program (or something else) that raises the demand for Octo-macs?

iLife is primarily for consumer Macs not for 8-core beasts.

I suspect the delay might be to do with Leopard integration. After all Vista includes iLife type applications and Panther used to...