New iMacs?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Hey guys,

With no Mac-news at MacWorld whatsoever - when do you think new iMacs would be announced? I wonder if there will be a new casing... if you ask me, the current one is getting dated...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    a slide out graphics card tray would be sweet :-D
  • Reply 2 of 31
    its too soon for these. they have a C2D 24" model, what more could you want?

ok, i know what people would want. upgradeable gfx, upgradeable cpu? forget it, wont happen.
  • Reply 3 of 31
    krispiekrispie Posts: 260member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lirand View Post

Hey guys,

With no Mac-news at MacWorld whatsoever - when do you think new iMacs would be announced? I wonder if there will be a new casing... if you ask me, the current one is getting dated...

Are you in the market to buy one? If so, what is it about the current design that stops you buying?

If you're not in the market to buy one, then what, exactly, are you trying to say? That they should change it for the sake of it?

It ain't broke, it doesn't need fixing.
  • Reply 4 of 31
    lirandlirand Posts: 174member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by krispie View Post

Are you in the market to buy one? If so, what is it about the current design that stops you buying?

If you're not in the market to buy one, then what, exactly, are you trying to say? That they should change it for the sake of it?

It ain't broke, it doesn't need fixing.

I wanna buy an iMac but i rather wait several months if they would come out with new designs.

That is because:

1. I am not crazy about the current design (the bottom part of the screen is huge)

2. The refresh rate of the current iMacs' screens is not good enough
  • Reply 5 of 31
    My Uncle (he works for apple) says apple is not working on the G6.

If thats what your asking.
  • Reply 6 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple Imp View Post

My Uncle (he works for apple) says apple is not working on the G6.

If thats what your asking.

That's TOTALLY what EVERYONE's been asking.

Damn.

Now I guess I'll have to wait for my G7
  • Reply 7 of 31
    i think that they will be working on a new iMac. All the other companies are bringing out there new pc's i think it would be smart for apple to have more chip options for the 24" iMac. i also think that apple would be very wise with lettiing you upgrade the graphics card in the iMac like letting you have a X1900 or Geforve or Nforeve whatever like 7900. i dont know how all that would fit but apple really doesnt have a middle machine. i would buy the iMac but crappy graphics cards. i would buy the pro but my parents wont let me spend 4000 + 1000+ for a monitor i have to either sacrafice power or screen so i think apple should beef up the iMac.
  • Reply 8 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregmightdothat View Post

That's TOTALLY what EVERYONE's been asking.

Damn.

Now I guess I'll have to wait for my G7

lol. Im not saying there wont be a G6. Its just not coming out anytime soon. I asked him cuz Apple has a tendencey to release something, and then in less than a year release something better (or at least thats just what it seems to me). So I was gonna buy an Intel iMac G5 but I was afraid to cuz I thought as soon as I did the G6 would come out. My uncle told me that they're concentrating on the Intels as of now and not really worrying about making the G6.
  • Reply 9 of 31
    Quote:

lol. Im not saying there wont be a G6.

I am...

As far as I am aware, Apple have shifted to Intel, completely...

they have migrated thier entire product range over to the new architecture...

Power PC G5's are no longer used so I am pretty sure that there wont be a Power PC G6...

IBM no more, long live Intel!!

G
  • Reply 10 of 31
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    Ow hell yeah, the G6 is coming in March 2007!

It's going to be a RED version of the white iMac (just like the RED iPod), but the reason it's red is because of the processor heat.
  • Reply 11 of 31
    I wonder if the iMac has a change of receiving the new consumer Quad processor from intel?

That and a beefier GPU would make for a very nice iMac.

Especially in a 30 inch iMac model!!!

It may happen one day! Nobody could see past the 15 inch iMac once upon a time...

In the meantime, when is the follow up to Merom due? And Nvidia are releasing 'laptop' and mainstream variants of their latest gpus?

Nice iMac update about March-April?

I'd expect a slew of Mac announcements about then. It could be a long 3 months...

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 12 of 31
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Maybe a 30th Anniversary iMac:

30" multi-touch/pressure sensitive/stylus-enabled LCD screen

3GHz Core 2 Extreme Quad-core CPU

4GB RAM

Two 1TB HDDs

SLI & CrossFire compatible dual graphics slots

Dual FireWire400 ports

Single FireWire800 port

Quad USB2 ports

Dual 1000BaseT Ethernet ports

latest AirPort & BlueTooth

optical digital audio i/o

built-in iSight

Apple Design/THX 5.1 certified surround sound speakers & subwoofer

BlueTooth keyboard & Mighty Mouse

Apple Design Stylus

8GB iPhone

.Mac ten year membership

Say, US$10,000??!?

Too much? Not enough?

;^p
  • Reply 13 of 31
    Quote:

lol. Im not saying there wont be a G6. Its just not coming out anytime soon. I asked him cuz Apple has a tendencey to release something, and then in less than a year release something better (or at least thats just what it seems to me). So I was gonna buy an Intel iMac G5 but I was afraid to cuz I thought as soon as I did the G6 would come out. My uncle told me that they're concentrating on the Intels as of now and not really worrying about making the G6.

I think you're a little confused. G5 refers to the powerpc processor that Apple used before switching to intel processors. There is no such thing as an "intel iMac G5." Apple could release a new iMac design tomorrow and it wouldn't be the iMac G6.
  • Reply 14 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rminkler View Post

I think you're a little confused. G5 refers to the powerpc processor that Apple used before switching to intel processors. There is no such thing as an "intel iMac G5." Apple could release a new iMac design tomorrow and it wouldn't be the iMac G6.

To be fair, wouldnt a new exterior design warrant it becoming the g6???

if it were to be slightly thinner, or remove the chin, then perhaps not a g6, however if they completely changed the design on the outside it would be a g6.

thats the point he is trying to make
  • Reply 15 of 31
    Touch Screen

There ya go I think its going to be on the phone and the iMac.
  • Reply 16 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by looksthatkill View Post

a slide out graphics card tray would be sweet ....

Christ Almighty would that be a Godsend ....

All the easier to engage the GeForce8800 while using "Parallels" to play "Crysis" !

Later!

8) 8) 8)
  • Reply 17 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lirand View Post

I wanna buy an iMac but i rather wait several months if they would come out with new designs.

That is because:

1. I am not crazy about the current design (the bottom part of the screen is huge)

2. The refresh rate of the current iMacs' screens is not good enough

I think the iMac should be blue.

And have a toaster built in.

And come with little magnet artwork thingys so that I can change the look of the casing every day.

Apple sucks, I tell you.

GTSC
  • Reply 18 of 31
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ipete View Post

Touch Screen

There ya go I think its going to be on the phone and the iMac.

As if you are going to point your fingers at your monitor all day. NOT! We're talking about a desktop computer here, not a phone gadget thingie. *IF* Apple releases touch stuff, the monitor will be placed on your table or sumthing, or more realistic, a keyboard with a multitouchpad.
  • Reply 19 of 31
    Apple Imp i hope your news is correct, i am going to buy my first mac after leopard comes out, i am hoping to god not to spend £800 and then see a new design come out within 6-7months.

if it was after about 12 months i could deal with it, but any less i would regret buying it, and if there was a new design within 3-4 months i would hate myself lol

Does anybody know if for instance i bought an imac, and a new one came out 3-4 months later, and my imac developed a "fault", whether they would send you a new one design one, or an old one?

anyway, i want a new design if they are to bring it out in time for leopard, if not i dont want one for at least 12 months.

oh and how high up in apple does your uncle work?, is this as in they are not working on one in production, or in design, or even in the though process?
  • Reply 20 of 31
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Graphics upgradeability is what this machine has always missed.