Hey guys is this a good deal,

Apple iMac G4

700 MHz

40 GB HD

640 MB RAM

AirPort

Speakers

OS X Jaguar

This guy that lives near me is selling this setup for $400. Is this a good deal or should I try to get him to drop the price a little.

Also, will this machine be much faster than my iMac G3 600 MHz Graphite with a 40 GB HD and 384 MB RAM.

I will only purchase the G4 if it blows away my G3...

THANKS!!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ViToMiNs View Post

Hey guys is this a good deal,

Apple iMac G4

700 MHz

40 GB HD

640 MB RAM

AirPort

Speakers

OS X Jaguar

This guy that lives near me is selling this setup for $400. Is this a good deal or should I try to get him to drop the price a little.

Also, will this machine be much faster than my iMac G3 600 MHz Graphite with a 40 GB HD and 384 MB RAM.

I will only purchase the G4 if it blows away my G3...

THANKS!!!

If it were me I'd save up another couple of hundred dollars and get a Mini (If you have an iMac already you've got the mouse and keyboard, perhaps you have a monitor kicking around?).

For the extra money you get a machine that absolutely blows the G3 (and G4, for that matter) iMac out of the water, with vastly superior system throughput and processing power, bigger HDD, more RAM stock, better graphics card, that tiny form factor, and Tiger ready to go.

Plus, Intel architecture is where Apple is and will be. The G4 iMac is a perfectly nice machine, but for all intents and purposes it's obsolete (even thought it has the nicest screen set-up that Apple ever did for an iMac).

Going from your G3 to the G4 will be a noticeable improvement in speed. Going from the G3 to the Mini will rock your world.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    ok, i may do that. Thanks for your help!
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ViToMiNs View Post

ok, i may do that. Thanks for your help!

And going to Tiger from Jaguar, even on your current machine or the iMac, will be a noticeable improvement as well.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    well I have Tiger on my current iMac and I'm thinking about the mini, butisn;t the Mini ending its cycle, I don't want to buy one and then see the current oens go on sale or have the new minis be amazing.