Mac On-screen keyboard software

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Is there any on-screen keyboard software out besides KeyStrokes? I need it for a simply purpose: I need to input iTunes song info in a different language.

KeyStrokes is great but it costs almost $300!!! Windows has this built-in for free! Any suggestions? (and no, I can't input it on windows)

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    If you go to system preferences > input menu and select keyboard viewer. Then go to the menu with the flag and choose the keyboard viewer. Choose the preferred keyboard layout and the keys will change accordingly. I don't know if you can make it bigger though.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    tonton, you are right, but may I just add something about the keyboard shortcuts:

It is not control-e, it is option-e, or as Windows users call it "alt." :P

-tj
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Tonton said it but i am pasting instrictions for all accents below (as far as i know).

It is very easy to type accented characters with OS X

For Grave, type <option> + ` then the vowel. ex: Ã? Ã? Ã? Ã? Ã? Ã* è ì ò ù

Note: The ` key is above tab.

For Acute, type <option> + e (normal keyboard "e") then the vowel. ex: à Ã? à Ã? Ã? á é Ã* ó ú

For Circumflex, type <option> + i (normal keyboard "i") then the vowel. ex: � � � � � â ê î ô û

For Tilde, type <option> + n (normal keyboard "n") then the character. ex: � � � ã ñ õ

For Umlaut, type <option> +u (normal keyboard "u") then the vowel. ex: Ã? Ã? à Ã? Ã? Ÿ ä ë ï ö ü ÿ
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Thanks for everyone's replies.

Marvin, I can't find that menu that you mentioned. I don't have the option of a "Keyboard viewer".

I don't need to type accents, however. I need an actual on-screen keyboard. I need to input Russian characters into iTunes since I'm importing some Russian songs.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alexluft View Post

Marvin, I can't find that menu that you mentioned. I don't have the option of a "Keyboard viewer".

That's odd. The International panel should look like this:

If you have the show input menu in menu bar option checked as well as the input menu, you should see a flag in the menu bar and the option should be there like htis:

So you would go system prefs > international > input menu and select keyboard viewer and show input menu in menu bar. then go to the menu bar and the keyboard viewer choice should be there.

What OS version are you using?
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Wow!!! That's weird. I'm running Tiger 10.4.8. My icon in the menu bar looks like this, it doesn't show the "keyboard pallete" like your screenshot.

Edit: just did a Mac help search; it turns out that I needed to check the box in International preferences to "display keyboard viewer".

So I though in your first post that I needed to go to System preferences --> keyboard/mouse, not "International" --> input menu.

Now I see

Amazing - just what I wanted!!!

Thank you all so much for your help, especially Marvin!
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alexluft View Post

Edit: just did a Mac help search; it turns out that I needed to check the box in International preferences to "display keyboard viewer".

So I though in your first post that I needed to go to System preferences --> keyboard/mouse, not "International" --> input menu.

Now I see

Sorry, that was my fault, I forgot to mention the international panel in my first post. You're right though, most people expect it to be in the keyboard prefs. Someone at work did the same thing but was looking for a character palette. Maybe they ought to move it - it's just one of those prefs that fit in both categories. Glad you got it sorted.