iChat troubleshooting

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
When I log into iChat to use AIM one of two things will happen. It will either connect and nothing will happen i.e. no names will appear on my list. It just says connected.

or

It will log in and immediately disconnect.

I believe that I have downloaded all updates. Can anyone help me with this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Where are you? I notice that sometimes AIM goes down in different places around the country. Or, I've heard mention of ISPs being the issue. Who do you use?

If you haven't been welcomed yet-- welcome to the forums.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ScottieBaio View Post

When I log into iChat to use AIM one of two things will happen. It will either connect and nothing will happen i.e. no names will appear on my list. It just says connected.

or

It will log in and immediately disconnect.

I believe that I have downloaded all updates. Can anyone help me with this?

I have the exact same problem!! Have you gotten any advice??
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Hello again-- have you installed any "unusual" stuff? Tried repairing permissions (yes, sometimes it does help for those doubters out there)? Installed crappy RAM?

We're looking for anything that makes your experience unique because as this thread suggests, it's just not a big deal for most.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Have you tried logging in to the same account from other software, to see if its iChat or something weird with your AIM account?

I'd try it in adium or AIM itself and see what happens.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Uh... Hi? Yeah, every time I try to IM anyone, it shows the thinking bubble, but when I click enter, it doesn't show up. What can I do to fix it? =)