iMac G5 Color Display Issue

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hello, I posted the following on the Apple Forums as well, to no avail. Hopfully someone here can help!

I recently began to notice that certain programs or graphics on screen would would have a sort of "off" color to them. This would affect all of the dashboard widgets. I tried deleting the dashboard preferences and all of the widgets and basically resetting dashboard, but that didn't do anything. It almost looked like the color was much weaker than it should be, less saturated, sort of with a thin veil of white over everything that was affected. When I created a new user on the system, the problem was non-existent. I have previously had the Logic Board and Power Supply replaced. I was also recently having hard drive problems, so figured that when I got the drive replaced, I would have to reformat, and that should solve the problem. But I just got it fixed yesterday, and as I'm setting it up again and installing software, I'm seeing the exact same problem, but now it's affecting more things in the system. I'm now seeing it on some of my desktop backgrounds, some websites, and Adobe Illustrator CS2. A new user account now no longer fixes the problem, I still see the same thing. It's now gone from being an annoying quirk to being a serious problem, since I need the work I do in Illustrator to be color accurate, and it's nowhere near. This is not an issue with my display calibration (When I change it to default, the problem still persists). When I take a screenshot of an app that's affected and view it on another computer, it looks totally normal. Please help, this is extremely irritating!

Thanks in advance,

Justin

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Unless someone else has a more specific answer, what i would do (since it cannot be recreated in another user) is rename your ~/Library/Preferences folder. Try to recreate the issue, then when you cannot, copy the files back over from your old preferences folder, but don't replace the ones that were created. If the issue still occurs after renaming the preferences folder, i would just migrate to a new user.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    taritari Posts: 4member
    does it looks something like this?

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=70608
  • Reply 3 of 3
    westwest Posts: 34member
    Thanks for your responses, guys. I brought it into the Apple Store and they said it's probably aproblem with the graphics card, so they're replacing the logic board. Hopefully that'll fix it. Thanks,

Justin