Can I delete .FBCIndex?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi!

I am in the middle of trying to back up my iBook (PowerPC G3) with OS 10.1.5 to a new External Firewire-HD in order to completely clear the disk and resolve a system problem. I have started using the freeware programme CCCloner - what are other forum-users' experiences with this programme?

Every time I try to clone I get following error message:

Volumes/Backup/Users/sarahkoh/.FBCIndex. __XXCOPIERXX_ .891.2:Input/output error

Can I just delete this file (.FBCIndex) or is it important for the computer's functions?

Would be very grateful for any advice.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    smaxsmax Posts: 361member
    I've always had good luck with CCC, very straightforward and does exactly what it's supposed to.

You may be able to add it to the list of things not to copy. Go to preferences then advanced options. It should be fairly straightforward from there.

Honestly, I don't know what exactly the file is, so I'm not sure if it would be safe to delete or not. I'd leave it on your system. I would suggest excluding it from the backup, then go back and manually copy it to the directory on the backup drive.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    I think it is a file for indexing searches? Maybe for spotlight or Sherlock.. I know it is a part of the straight up Unix OS though.. so i'm not sure. Usually hidden files are that way for a reason.. so i wouldnt just delete it. Tough to say though.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smax View Post

I've always had good luck with CCC, very straightforward and does exactly what it's supposed to.

You may be able to add it to the list of things not to copy. Go to preferences then advanced options. It should be fairly straightforward from there.

Honestly, I don't know what exactly the file is, so I'm not sure if it would be safe to delete or not. I'd leave it on your system. I would suggest excluding it from the backup, then go back and manually copy it to the directory on the backup drive.

Thanks for your advice. I tried to exclude this file from the clone but don't have the preferences option on my version - could it be that this option only appears on the version for more advanced OSs?

Is there any other way of excluding this file from the cloning process? Can I save it somewhere else and then replace it after cloning?