Apple moves swiftly to knock kinks from Mac OS X 10.4.9

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple has picked up the pace in which it is distributing to developers test builds of a forthcoming update to its Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger operating system, sometimes a telltale sign an official release is near.

But at the same time, it's reported that Mac maker continues to stomp out clumps of known glitches in Mac OS X 10.4.9 with each pre-release seeding -- suggesting it may have more fish to fry.

According to people familiar with the ongoing beta test, the latest build of the software -- 8P2120 -- packs over 40 new fixes since build 8P2117 was released to developers just days ago. Similarly, those same people say that a build for PowerPC-based Macs -- 8P120 -- includes over 25 code corrections since the previous seeding.

Thus far, the Intel and PowerPC versions of Mac OS X 10.4.9 bundle an approximate total of 60 and 80 individual corrections, respectively.

Specifically, the latest build for Intel Macs is said to address issues related to the Rosetta cache, Color Sync and V4 profiles, CoreAudio and MIDI files, and waking Bluetooth mouse from sleep.

Over in the PowerPC department, fixes reportedly target DVD Player, Bluetooth headset pairing, Bluetooth enabling/disabling, and incorrect time zones in certain areas.

Those familiar with Mac OS X 10.4.9 believe it is shaping up to be one of the more significant updates to the Tiger operating system, and also one of the last.

A bit later this year, Apple will introduce Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard, its next-generation OS featuring workspaces, built-in backup software and Windows support.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,245member
    Interesting how they say that 10.4.9 will be "one of the last". I don't really expect any updates after that. Never been one, even if technically it's possible to increment the numbers.

I'm looking forward to a brief stint with 10.4.9, and then a swift transition to Leopard... oh, the excitement! I think I'll toss in a MacBook Pro with my Leopard order.... or, wait a sec....

So what's this about Windows Support in Leopard? AppleInsider said that with a great deal of confidence.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    Quote:

So what's this about Windows Support in Leopard? AppleInsider said that with a great deal of confidence.

I think they're talking about Boot Camp.

Quote:

Interesting how they say that 10.4.9 will be "one of the last". I don't really expect any updates after that. Never been one, even if technically it's possible to increment the numbers.

If there was another update (and I hope this is the last before Leopard myself) then it could be 10.4.10.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Sometimes I wonder just how many of those bugs they are stomping on are from the older version of the OS they are updating, and how many are from the new update as well.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JohnnyKrz View Post

If there was another update (and I hope this is the last before Leopard myself) then it could be 10.4.10.

Nothing wrong with that, but it notable that every previous version of OS X was incremented up to 10.x.9 just as the 10.y version was being released.

In fact, there seems to be a somewhat rigid structure to Apple's versions:

10.x - Initial release

10.x.1 - Released soon after to fix bugs that weren't quashed before release

10.x.2 - Fix new bugs that were discovered after release

10.x.3 - Introduce major new features that didn't make it into the release

10.x.4 - Fix known issues with new features in 3

10.x.5 - Fix newly discovered issues introduced in 3

10.x.6 - Try to quash all remaining bugs and stabilize all code

10.x.7 - Fix things they overlooked in 6

10.x.8 - Start introducing code that will be in 10.y

10.x.9 - Fix bugs introduced in 8; make fully compatible with 10.y

Anyway, that has been the case with all the OS X's so far.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    trevctrevc Posts: 77member
    I don't see why it'd have to be the last as 10.4.10 wouldn't be the end of the world ... especially if they plug security holes in the future, etc.

Apple hasn't even shown developers the full blown 10.5 (Super secret features not yet shown) ... does that mean that the current distributions are Alpha? or are the secret features more of Front Row v2.0 and not any core changes?

Wouldn't it be neat if they turned around and rewrote the finder to include these types of enhancements to the desktop !! (worth looking at)
  • Reply 6 of 22
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheToe View Post

Nothing wrong with that, but it notable that every previous version of OS X was incremented up to 10.x.9 just as the 10.y version was being released.

10.x - Initial release

10.x.1 - Released soon after to fix bugs that weren't quashed before release

10.x.2 - Fix new bugs that were discovered after release

10.x.3 - Introduce major new features that didn't make it into the release

10.x.4 - Fix known issues with new features in 3

10.x.5 - Fix newly discovered issues introduced in 3

10.x.6 - Try to quash all remaining bugs and stabilize all code

10.x.7 - Fix things they overlooked in 6

10.x.8 - Start introducing code that will be in 10.y

10.x.9 - Fix bugs introduced in 8; make fully compatible with 10.y

You mean, all releases except for 10.0.x, 10.1.x and 10.2.x, considering 10.3.x is the only one that even had a 10.x.9.

10.0 only went to 10.0.4, 10.1 to 10.1.5 and 10.2 to 10.2.8.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheToe View Post

[...]

History tells us there is going to be a 10.4.10:

- Apple generally releases a final update around or after the introduction of a new OS version

- Only once did Apple use .9 as a last version

- Apple never uses the same number as a last version twice (.9 is already taken)

- Every OS release has an increased amount of updates. Panther was 9, Tiger must be at least 10

- A possible 5 months until Leopard is a very long time without updates for Apple
  • Reply 8 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trevc View Post

Wouldn't it be neat if they turned around and rewrote the finder to include these types of enhancements to the desktop !! (worth looking at)

………………………………..__…………………………………………

………………………..,-~*’`¯lllllll`*~,……………………………………

…………………..,-~*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll¯`*-,………………………………

………………,-~*llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll*-,…………………………….

……………,-*lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll lllll.\\……………………………

………….;*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll,-~*~-,llllllllllllllllllll\\…………………………..

…………..\\lllllllllllllllllllllllllll/………\\;;;;llllllllllll,-`~-,………………………

…………...\\lllllllllllllllllllll,-*………..`~-~-,…(.(¯`*,`,……………………..

…………….\\llllllllllll,-~*…………………)_-\\..*`*;..)…………………….

……………..\\,-*`¯,*`)…………,-~*`~.………….../……………………..

……………...|/.../…/~,…...-~*,-~*`;……………./.\\……………………..

……………../.../…/…/..,-,..*~,.`*~*…………….*...\\……………………

…………….|.../…/…/.*`...\\...……………………)….)¯`~,……………...

…………….|./…/…./…….)……,.)`*~-,……….../….|..)…`~-,………….

……………/./.../…,*`-,…..`-,…*`….,---…...\\…./…../..|……...¯```*~-,,,,

…………...(……….)`*~-,….`*`.,-~*.,-*……|…/.…/…/…………\\……..

…………….*-,…….`*-,...`~,..``.,,,-*……….|.,*...,*…|…………..\\……..

……………….*,………`-,…)-,…………..,-*`...,-*….(`-,…………\\…….

……................f`-,………`-,/…*-,___,,-~*….,-*……|…`-,……….\\…….

I fell for it.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

????????????..__??????????? ?????

?????????..,-~*?`¯lllllll`*~,??????????????

???????..,-~*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll¯`*-,????????????

??????,-~*llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll*-,???????????.

?????,-*lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll lllll.\\???????????

????.;*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll,-~*~-,llllllllllllllllllll\\??????????..

????..\\lllllllllllllllllllllllllll/???\\;;;;llllllllllll,-`~-,?????????

????...\\lllllllllllllllllllll,-*???..`~-~-,?(.(¯`*,`,????????..

?????.\\llllllllllll,-~*???????)_-\\..*`*;..)????????.

?????..\\,-*`¯,*`)????,-~*`~.????.../????????..

?????...|/.../?/~,?...-~*,-~*`;?????./.\\????????..

?????../.../?/?/..,-,..*~,.`*~*?????.*...\\????????

?????.|.../?/?/.*`...\\...????????)?.)¯`~,?????...

?????.|./?/?./??.)??,.)`*~-,???.../?.|..)?`~-,????.

?????/./.../?,*`-,?..`-,?*`?.,---?...\\?./?../..|??...¯```*~-,,,,

????...(???.)`*~-,?.`*`.,-~*.,-*??|?/.?/?/????\\??..

?????.*-,??.`*-,...`~,..``.,,,-*???.|.,*...,*?|????..\\??..

??????.*,???`-,?)-,????..,-*`...,-*?.(`-,????\\??.

??................f`-,???`-,/?*-,___,,-~*?.,-*??|?`-,???.\\??.

I fell for it.

That's pretty good Kim, but it looks much better in the email.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

That's pretty good Kim, but it looks much better in the email.

I know...I'm disappointed by how it turned out.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    Quote:

I know...I'm disappointed by how it turned out.

I've had problems with this site making its own decisions about spacing.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    trevctrevc Posts: 77member
    Quote:

I fell for it.

?? wasn't trying to trick anyone, just pointing out that there's an evolution of the desktop to 3D that will happen sooner or later and that the video on that page makes you think of what it could be.

Here's the link directly in YouTube :
  • Reply 13 of 22
    wtfkwtfk Posts: 47member
    Quote:

?? wasn't trying to trick anyone, just pointing out that there's an evolution of the desktop to 3D that will happen sooner or later and that the video on that page makes you think of what it could be.

Seems complicated and unnecessary. It was hard enough to teach my family how to use the Mac OS.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    I always stay 1 year or 1 rev behind. I will stick with Tiger till Leopard reaches 10.5.7

I mean as long as Aperture works great and Protools works no need to mess with the system.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    What major features were released in 10.4.3?
  • Reply 16 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael_Moriarty View Post

Major enhancements to Dashboard. It used to be pretty much just the address and calculator widgets. Also there was no "Widgets" widget. No organization or a way to delete a widget without going into the finder file stucture. Plus it was horribly unstable. Locked up the OS more often than not prior to 10.4.3.

Plus a lot of "under the hood" fixes.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker View Post

You mean, all releases except for 10.0.x, 10.1.x and 10.2.x, considering 10.3.x is the only one that even had a 10.x.9.

10.0 only went to 10.0.4, 10.1 to 10.1.5 and 10.2 to 10.2.8.

Wow... that's the wrongest I've been in a while. I just wonder where I came up with that. Huh.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael_Moriarty View Post

Though it is not useful to the home user, Portable Home Directories functionality was added in 10.4.3. This is a major, major step forward in terms of abstracting the user from the computer. Now in many corporate and educational settings, a user can walk up to any Mac and be at "their" computer.

--

Doctors recommend one get a wide range of variety in one's beer diet.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    Quote:

The world is moving away from spatial environments...not only is this a video of spatial organization...it adds a fuckin' z-axis to confuse people that still haven't figured out the x and y axes.

"Real-world manipulations" are not going to boost user productivity until 3D displays are available to the world. The whole 'desktop' metaphor was cool when spatial organization was a good way of organizing a couple hundred files. But is it a good way to organize several thousand files? Maybe...but probably not.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Quote:

The whole 'desktop' metaphor was cool when spatial organization was a good way of organizing a couple hundred files. But is it a good way to organize several thousand files? Maybe...but probably not.

I'll wager that the traditional desktop/file/folder metaphor still pervasive in many of today's computing interfaces will become increasingly de-emphasized and eventually replaced and/or virtualized in more of its current roles. Though most of us take file/folder management for granted it can be a foreign concept to people who primarily use web-based services. Just because data is typically stored in hierarchical filesystems doesn't mean it's necessary to make it a primary (and limited) interface metaphor when there may be alternatives with superior usability and scalability. How many people manually manage files/folders on an iPod (and iPhone, soon)?

Back to the thread's topic?

Anyone else wonder if 10.4.9 was originally intended to be ready by Macworld and the delay is why iLife and iWork updates that'll require it weren't announced? When was the last Macworld without any software announcement?
  • Reply 20 of 22
    gdoggdog Posts: 224member
    i am waiting for 10.4.9999999999999