Briefly: Apple TV tops best seller list at Apple Store

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
With just one week of sales under its belt, Apple Inc.'s new Apple TV set-top streaming media hub has claimed the top slot on the company's list of best selling items.

According to a ranking of best selling products on the Apple online store (right sidebar), Apple TV over the past week outsold all versions of the company's popular iPod digital music players, including the ubiquitous iPod nano.

Based on rough calculations performed by AppleInsider -- which assumes conservatively that only 10 percent of iPod sales are generated through its online store -- Apple TV pre-orders during the first 7 days totaled in excess of 70,000.

A recent report from overseas stated Apple's initial order of 100,000 Apple TV units was due to begin shipping State-side later this month, suggesting that initial sales of the device may be exceeding the company's own internal expectations.

At the same time, it should be noted that sales of 100,000 Apple TVs would only represent an incremental $30 million in revenue for the Cupertino-based company, which would not materially impact its quarterly financials.

Should Apple TV maintain its initial sales pace, total units for Apple's second fiscal quarter of 2007 could top 500,000 and contribute significantly to earnings.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 105
    I think I was one of the first.

Are these numbers likely to stay at this level though? It seems like it could be contributed to the initial hype.
  • Reply 2 of 105
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DeaPeaJay View Post

I think I was one of the first.

Are these numbers likely to stay at this level though? It seems like it could be contributed to the initial hype.

It's very unlikely, First week of sales on a high profile product are considerably higher than what you should expect for the rest of the quarter.. Although sales may surge again once tv actually starts shipping, currently it is only pre-order.
  • Reply 3 of 105
    I'm shocked by these numbers believe it or not... Maybe I'm not seeing the full value of the product, but for it to only stream the content from your Macs to your TV, it is NOT worth the $300 price tag. $149 maybe but NOT $300. That just seems distorted to me (pun intended). For $300 it should at least offer DVR/PVR functionality. And ultimately it should do everything a SlingBox does as well!

Now, I would NEVER have a Windows box in my home, but I think Apple is sorely behind in the Media Center arena. C'mon! We/Apple should have done it first and We/Apple should be doing it better than anyone else in the world!

And before I get too beaten up by others, Yes, I understand there are other products out there and there are marketing models to consider (iTunes/Elgato, etc.) But if Apple REALLY want's to jump into the media center arena, they should be doing more.

But really... I'm not feeling all that compelled to run right out and buy one when you consider the fact that I could just spend a bit more and get a Mac mini, and just plug it directly into my HD TV and use sharing via iTunes to view anything on the TV I could through FrontRow, or Media Central, etc, AND have a backup Mac to use if needed...

Maybe it's just me... What do I know?
  • Reply 4 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTechIdol View Post

I'm shocked by these numbers believe it or not... Maybe I'm not seeing the full value of the product, but for it to only stream the content from your Macs to your TV, it is NOT worth the $300 price tag. $149 maybe but NOT $300. That just seems distorted to me (pun intended). For $300 it should at least offer DVR/PVR functionality. And ultimately it should do everything a SlingBox does as well!

Now, I would NEVER have a Windows box in my home, but I think Apple is sorely behind in the Media Center arena. C'mon! We/Apple should have done it first and We/Apple should be doing it better than anyone else in the world!

And before I get too beaten up by others, Yes, I understand there are other products out there and there are marketing models to consider (iTunes/Elgato, etc.) But if Apple REALLY want's to jump into the media center arena, they should be doing more.

But really... I'm not feeling all that compelled to run right out and buy one when you consider the fact that I could just spend a bit more and get a Mac mini, and just plug it directly into my HD TV and use sharing via iTunes to view anything on the TV I could through FrontRow, or Media Central, etc, AND have a backup Mac to use if needed...

I agree with everything you said. It at LEAST needs to be a DVR
  • Reply 5 of 105
    It is worth noting that the iPod is broken up into 4 seperate categories, weakening the impact of the iPod in the top sellers list.

Also, I don't necessarily trust Apple as an honest reporter of non-Stock-Market sales figures. They could be boosting the numbers to make the adoption rate seem higher.

Hopefully my concerns are incorrect.
  • Reply 6 of 105
    I highly doubt that Apple's "top sellers" list is really an automated list generated by the website. Our sources indicate that the "top seller" list on Apple's site is manually changed by Apple employees. Considering that almost nobody is interested in purchasing an Apple TV, and considering that Apple TV is a product that offers virtually zero value (ESPECIALLY for its high price tag), it is almost impossible for Apple TV to be a #1 seller at the Apple Store. Let's face it -- Apple TV offers NO VALUE! It is a product that is dead from the start.
  • Reply 7 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trevorlsciact View Post

I agree with everything you said. It at LEAST needs to be a DVR

I think we're more likely to see a monthly subscriber plan than DVR functionality. With a subscription plan, Apple TV effectively is a DVR.

If iTunes had all the shows I currently watch, the ability to graze shows from the remote, live programming like sports and award shows, and PPV movies for $4 a pop, for $50-$60 per month plus PPVs, it's bye bye Comcast (well, for cable anyway).
  • Reply 8 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

I highly doubt that Apple's "top sellers" list is really an automated list generated by the website. Our sources indicate that the "top seller" list on Apple's site is manually changed by Apple employees. Considering that almost nobody is interested in purchasing an Apple TV, and considering that Apple TV is a product that offers virtually zero value (ESPECIALLY for its high price tag), it is almost impossible for Apple TV to be a #1 seller at the Apple Store. Let's face it -- Apple TV offers NO VALUE! It is a product that is dead from the start.

Lol... I love all the doomsayers... (some may call them trolls, but often they genuinely hold the views they do) ... Often they do look silly later on...

It has been especially fun re-reading all the doomsayers about the original iPod (I kept web archives of some of the best); I'm pretty sure I will be able to come back and enjoy this sort of non-sense in a year or so's time

Just because *some* people don't perceive value in a product, doesn't mean everyone else doesn't... And I think scotty is rather mistaken, not to mention prone to hyperbole ("NO VALUE!")...

Cheers

Fast Red
  • Reply 9 of 105
    How do we know that the list isn't randomly assorted, like its not the #1 top seller but it is in the top sellers list. I don't see how the 5g iPod outsells the nano's and shuffle's.

I also agree that the top sellers list is hand picked to get people to see the product. Even witht the initial launch, thats not enough to get that thing #1, i can't imagine that many people wanting something that does so little for that price.
  • Reply 10 of 105
    Quote:

Who is the "Our" you refer to. And sorry scotty, I don't believe in conspiracy theories. Just cause you think the product sucks doesn't mean that Apple's out to deceive everybody else to make them think it's better than it is. Sheesh
  • Reply 11 of 105
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    Quote:

I'm shocked by these numbers believe it or not... Maybe I'm not seeing the full value of the product, ...

Me too and I agree. I don't buy movies at all, DVD or iTunes or any thing else. What am I going to do with AppleTV? Whatch Red vs Blue on my TV?
  • Reply 12 of 105
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Cute post!

But, while that will be true for some, there will be others who disagree.

That's why everybody doesn't buy the same product.
  • Reply 13 of 105
    How don't you see value in it? Let's compare costs.

Cable TV: $40/month.

DVR: $10/month.

After 3 years, that's $1,800.

Apple TV: $300.

Season pass from iTunes: $35 each.

(1800 - 300) / $35 = 42.8 TV seasons.

That's FOURTEEN shows a year. Do you watch that much? I didn't think so.

Apple TV + iTunes is an incredible value, once you throw out cable (not that I ever had it anyway). If next year they can pull of 720p (which would make movies about 3 GB and TV shows between 500 MB and 1 GB), they're golden.
  • Reply 14 of 105
    Quote:

Nope. You are not the only one who is shocked. I'm bloody amazed. If this prediction is true (in terms of estimated number of units pre-sold), then this is tip-top marketing.

I got the feeling that Apple TV is not fully realized as a product. It is over-priced in my opinion. I would not buy it in its current version. Maybe down the line (I've come to realize by inner Apple-whore).

I too, wanted at the very least recording capability. Well, that and it doesn't output 1080i.
  • Reply 15 of 105
    Quote:

Ok, let us play 'devil's advocate' with your opinion. I, personally feel that Apple TV won't do well; nee it might be a disappointment and 'tank'.

If that is the case, is Apple TV a "placeholder" for something much wider in scope and ability down the line? Again, I get this feeling as Apple TV seems rather 'half-baked' compared to their recent products.
  • Reply 16 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregmightdothat View Post

Apple TV + iTunes is an incredible value, once you throw out cable (not that I ever had it anyway). If next year they can pull of 720p (which would make movies about 3 GB and TV shows between 500 MB and 1 GB), they're golden.

You forgot to include the cost of high-speed Internet... cha-CHING!
  • Reply 17 of 105
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:

Wow when you run the numbers like that, that is actually pretty good. Where it breaks down however is you loose the ability to watch something random or start liking a new show. How do I know I want a season pass if I've never watched it before.

itunes should allow streaming of the first 4 episodes of a season or something too hook people before they hit them with downloads and season passes.

But it'll still probably never work for me because I do watch crap I'd never pay for like flip this house and stuff randomly.

*Unless* there's a discounted rate (like half price) to stream something random, that could be interesting.
  • Reply 18 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking

Wow when you run the numbers like that, that is actually pretty good. Where it breaks down however is you loose the ability to watch something random or start liking a new show. How do I know I want a season pass if I've never watched it before.

Well, you can just buy an episode or two at $2 each. You're right though: what they need to do is let you buy a few episodes, and then if you later buy the entire series, they refund you for the episodes. I hope as the service matures networks will push for that.
  • Reply 19 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

You forgot to include the cost of high-speed Internet... cha-CHING!

Just about everyone has that anyway.
  • Reply 20 of 105
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Just about everyone has that anyway.

Only about half the people have high speed, and many of them have speeds of less than 1 Mb/s.

And almost everyone has either cable or satellite as well. Phone service also. Which will most give up?

I get several hundred channels on my cable network. I don't want to give that up. The whole point to modern communications is to be able to see anything available at any time. So, I might pay half what I pay if I give 90% of that up.

That's hardly a bargain.

I agree with ecking. I watch programs in waves. There are times when I spend a lot of time on the DIY channel. Other times it's science. Others history, etc. My daughter is studying Spanish, so she spends time on the Spanish channels.