Glossy or Matte MBP screens?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hello all,

Sorry for another 'glossy v. matte' thread, but the existing threads haven't really answered my questions. So here's my question: Should I get the glossy or matte screen for my MBP? I'll be using my MBP mainly for editing video. Which screen has a more realistic color saturation? The last thing I want to do is have my final product too bright/dark on a normal TV due to the MBP screen. I talked to an Apple rep. on the phone and he mentioned that the matte would be better for video editing because it has a more accurate color saturation, but what do you guys think? Anybody used their glossy-screened MBP for video editing with great results? Thanks so much!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wing70301 View Post

Hello all,

Sorry for another 'glossy v. matte' thread, but the existing threads haven't really answered my questions. So here's my question: Should I get the glossy or matte screen for my MBP? I'll be using my MBP mainly for editing video. Which screen has a more realistic color saturation? The last thing I want to do is have my final product too bright/dark on a normal TV due to the MBP screen. I talked to an Apple rep. on the phone and he mentioned that the matte would be better for video editing because it has a more accurate color saturation, but what do you guys think? Anybody used their glossy-screened MBP for video editing with great results? Thanks so much!

Go look in a store. Go look in a store. Go look in a store. Go look in a store. Go look in a store. Go look in a store. Go look in a store. Go look in a store. Go look in a store. Go look in a store. Go look in a store. Go look in a store. Go look in a store. Go look in a store. Go look in a store. Go look in a store. Go look in a store.

Make your own mind up, because you have to make the decision for yourself!
  • Reply 2 of 26
    Oh, actually I forgot to mention that. Unfortunately for me, the state of Louisiana doesn't have an Apple store. Also, the Circuit City closest to me doesn't have Macs in store. So I would definately check in the store if there was at least one in the state. Sorry I forgot to mention that
  • Reply 3 of 26
    Quote:

Oh, actually I forgot to mention that. Unfortunately for me, the state of Louisiana doesn't have an Apple store. Also, the Circuit City closest to me doesn't have Macs in store. So I would definately check in the store if there was at least one in the state. Sorry I forgot to mention that

I think you have to decide if you're going to do more video editing or video watching... the matte screen does have a "grainier picture," but the colors are more realistic. the glossy is really for people who don't edit a lot and watch lots of videos...

You would probably like the matte screen for your purposes, but it's your choice totally.
  • Reply 4 of 26
    Aw, man, I'd think that the glossy display would be better for editing/creating. The picture is so much nicer and all, I figured that would be an advantage. (I intend to use mine for Photoshop work and such.)

Huh.

Btw, that stinks you don't have an Apple Store. Maybe you could compare glossy vs. matte screens on another brand of computer. Might be the same thing, but I can't say for sure...
  • Reply 5 of 26
    Get Matte
  • Reply 6 of 26
    Get Glossy
  • Reply 7 of 26
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blackwind212 View Post

Get Matte

Quote:
    Originally Posted by audiopollution View Post

Get Glossy

"Collect all [two]?" On a completely different subject, I liked those ads ("Collect all five!") when the coloured iMacs were released about 10 years ago.

Edit: seems it was only 8 years ago.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    I just went through this dilemma last week, and I've settled on the matte screen for a couple of reasons. First, my current Powerbook G4 has a matte screen and I have never had trouble with glare whatsoever (as it should be for a matte screen). Second, while I understand that glossy screens seem sharper and more vivid, the characterization that matte screens are "grainy" is deceptive. Both screens show the exact same video. For watching videos, I would certainly get a glossy screen, but I plan to use my computer for sooooo much more than watching, that I don't want to sacrifice one iota of usability just for a prettier picture.

Essentially my argument is "don't fix what isn't broken." I love my Powerbook and have never pined for a glossy screen. I'll be glad if the reports of increased screen brightness are true in practice, but other than that, I'm quite satisfied with my dull, boring, non-vivid, grainy screen.
  • Reply 9 of 26
    steste Posts: 119member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wing70301 View Post

Unfortunately for me, the state of Louisiana doesn't have an Apple store. Also, the Circuit City closest to me doesn't have Macs in store. So I would definately check in the store if there was at least one in the state.

Go to CompUSA on Veterans Blvd. in Kenner. They do not stock the glossy MBPs, but they do have the mattes, as well as the glossy MBs. Different machines, sure, but similar enough screens for you to be able to make an informed decision. I went with the matte, but you should definitely see the two side-by-side and decide what's right for you.
  • Reply 10 of 26
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Apple needs to put a Matte/Glossy option under Displays in System Preferences. Maybe even make it a slider so you can get just as much glossiness as you like.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shetline View Post

Apple needs to put a Matte/Glossy option under Displays in System Preferences. Maybe even make it a slider so you can get just as much glossiness as you like.

or a user swappable screen filter!!
  • Reply 12 of 26
    When you create videos you edit them to what looks best. You want your final product to look the SAME as it does on your editing machine. If its not the same, the colors will be off, your blacks wont be black, and you'll be saying, "trust me, it looks better on my computer." But does that matter? No, what matters is that the final product looks great.

I don't know how much video editing you'll be doing or if you'll just be watching your videos on your macbook. If you are a serious video editor and make movies for clients go with the matte screen. If you just make home movies for your family either will do as its not as important as it would be for a client.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neyoung View Post

When you create videos you edit them to what looks best. You want your final product to look the SAME as it does on your editing machine. If its not the same, the colors will be off, your blacks wont be black, and you'll be saying, "trust me, it looks better on my computer." But does that matter? No, what matters is that the final product looks great.

I don't know how much video editing you'll be doing or if you'll just be watching your videos on your macbook. If you are a serious video editor and make movies for clients go with the matte screen. If you just make home movies for your family either will do as its not as important as it would be for a client.

Well, whichever screen he got, I'm assuming he'd color calibrate it.

You... DO color calibrate your monitor, right?
  • Reply 14 of 26
    I'm currently a film major and have been working with my glossy screen on my MBP, and I absolutely love it. I haven't found a significant color difference, and when you're working on a computer for an extended period of time during editing, its nice to have a quality picture to stare at. Most of the time, the glare isn't going to be a problem (sure, it can sometimes be annoying, but its not bad enough to really complain), since you'll very likely be inside, and overall, it just looks better for all the tasks you might do. Like other people suggested, try and look for yourself, but I'm in the same situation as you, and I like the glossy screen. Hope that helped a bit!
  • Reply 15 of 26
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    I am going to buy an MBP next week and am asking myself the same question. In fact, I just got back from the Apple store to make that determination. And the survey says...

Undecided.

I and my wife looked at them side by side with the same images on the screen. After a lot of head scratching and back and forth, we both decided that there was a slight edge in depth and liveliness to the photo on the glossy screen. We also decided that if it took that much analysis to come up with a difference between the two, the difference probably does not matter. Therefore, my decision will be based on practical considerations. I do not see any way to massage a stuck pixel on a glossy screen. The glossy screen will sometimes pick up reflections from the environmental lights; matt screens never will. Finally, I think it will be easier to sell with the matt finish as opposed to the glossy. I actually went in there wanting to like the glossy more. Who knows what I will actually buy when the time comes. Anyway, that's my $.02
  • Reply 16 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

I do not see any way to massage a stuck pixel on a glossy screen. The glossy screen will sometimes pick up reflections from the environmental lights; matt screens never will.

Aye?! What a load of rubbish!! They only difference is the omission of a film on the screen of a glossy they are no different, so 'massage' your screen however much you like because you can still do it!!

And reflections ,matt screens still get reflections from overhead lights, so your claim is also balls, the only difference is they disperse the light more so it isn't as noticeable.

I have screens of both types around my house and to be honest I glossy screens look SOOOOOOO much better colour production is AWESOME, pictures and graphics are clear plus bright!! Honestly I don't like matt screens anymore as colours look drowned out and very bland!

Conclusion glossy screens all the way. Love em Love em Love em!!!!
  • Reply 17 of 26
    Is the difference that terribly obvious, given that matte is better for graphic design while glossy isn't, or is it a very minor, technical unlikeness?
  • Reply 18 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

I am going to buy an MBP next week and am asking myself the same question. In fact, I just got back from the Apple store to make that determination. And the survey says...

Undecided.

I and my wife looked at them side by side with the same images on the screen. After a lot of head scratching and back and forth, we both decided that there was a slight edge in depth and liveliness to the photo on the glossy screen. We also decided that if it took that much analysis to come up with a difference between the two, the difference probably does not matter. Therefore, my decision will be based on practical considerations. I do not see any way to massage a stuck pixel on a glossy screen. The glossy screen will sometimes pick up reflections from the environmental lights; matt screens never will. Finally, I think it will be easier to sell with the matt finish as opposed to the glossy. I actually went in there wanting to like the glossy more. Who knows what I will actually buy when the time comes. Anyway, that's my $.02

Probably the best nutshell assessment I've heard thus far. You've adequately summed up why I intend to get the matte -
  • Reply 19 of 26
    You shouldn't be judging the color of your video off your laptop screen depending on the level of video editing you're doing. You should be judging the color of your video by hooking your laptop up to an external broadcast monitor or even a TV and having Final Cut (assuming that's what you're using) stream the video to that. If you're looking to go pro, you need to start using scopes, but a TV usually does it.

That being said, I edit HD and SD video 8 hours a day, and when I'm in the field I use my GLOSSY 17" MBP. I'd go glossy for the visual experience. If I'm watching movies on the road, or other videos, I'd prefer to have them look better and more saturated than have a matte screen which I shouldn't be judging the color of my projects off of anyway.
  • Reply 20 of 26
    just wanted to get the forums opinion on what screen does everyone prefer... glossy or matte?