turning itunes to mp3???

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
ok so ive been downloading music off limewire, and my parents warned me to stop and i can see whhat their saying, i dont want to get in trouble and i rarely do it anymore anyways but $0.99 a song is not bad, and my rents will pay for it so its all good haha.

Anyways, my question is how can i turn the downloaded itunes songs into .mp3, i need this because my Audi has an 2 SD memory stick slots behind the navigation screen that i can place them in, but the player only plays .mp3 formatted songs, ive tried just putting the itunes song on the stick but it never even showed up on the navi's display....if someone can help me on how to convert this id appreciate it, also i cant do the whole burn it to a CD thing, i dont have many cd's and im not going to waiste my money on that...so if someone can help please do so, i own a powerbook G4 so if theres any programs you know of let me know for my mac. Thanks -Daniel

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Burn them to a CD, then reimport them into .MP3 (you'll need to change the preferences in Importing in iTunes, it defaults to AAC 128kbps)

Sebastian

PS: Welcome to the world where people don't pirate and give Universal's CEO a reason to Complain, but you're not using an iPod...
  • Reply 2 of 13
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

Burn them to a CD

Clearly you didn't read the dude's whole post:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ebaydan777 View Post

i cant do the whole burn it to a CD thing, i dont have many cd's and im not going to waiste my money on that

To which I say: use a CD-RW disc. You can burn to one disk over and over again.

If you don't want to do that, there are ways. I think you can import iTunes songs into iMovie, save them as AIFFs (uncompressed), and then use iTunes or other software to convert that to mp3.

P.S. well done on giving up LimeWire.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    haha ya thanks sorry i just dont want the trouble with anyone...last thing i need is a huge fine or jail time for stupid songs haha....so im converting to itunes....hmm imovies sooo much work usually i convert music with a simple program, just pop it in and it changes to what i want, cept it doesnt work with this protected AAC crap.....itunes shouldnt have done that, should have allowed a way to convert to mp3 not like it hurts them much
  • Reply 4 of 13
    guess ill just have to buy a CD-RW.....sounds like the easiest way to go, how much is a cd or two anyways at best buy or wherever
  • Reply 5 of 13
    This is how

change the settings to:

Import using MP3 Encoder

• Reply 6 of 13
    and that changes the purchased music? i think that only changes the settings after i put it on a CD right?? then i change it to import into itunes my mp3? man this is a lot of work to not cheat the system haha
  • Reply 7 of 13
    yes it encodes everything to MP3, but you have to do it before importing the songs
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Wow... the lack of actual support on this forum is astounding...

Okay first of all, all you need to do is what was said above: open the iTunes prefs ( Apple key + , ) Go to advanced, then click the "Importing" tab. Then change the "Import Using" field to MP3. Then exit the preferences, highlight the songs you want, then on the tool bar at the top of the screen click "advanced" and then "Convert Selection to MP3". This text will be whatever you set the encoder to in the preferences.

Try not to choose a bitrate higher than the song already is because you can't make the song higher quality than it already is and it just wastes space. In this case, no higher than 128k stereo bitrate.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    ya i know how to do all this, problem is it wont let me convert the purchased music....which sucks because thats all that works in my car =\\.....so if thats the case then i need to burn on a cd and them import it back via mp3...
  • Reply 10 of 13
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    [quote=Mr. H;1028767]Clearly you didn't read the dude's whole post/quote]

I didn't see that sentence.. -_-

Sebastian
  • Reply 11 of 13
    he's talking about music bought from the itunes store, not imported from cd. there's no "easy" way to convert itunes store music to mp3. the easiest is the cd-r trick.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smashbrosfan View Post

Try not to choose a bitrate higher than the song already is because you can't make the song higher quality than it already is and it just wastes space. In this case, no higher than 128k stereo bitrate.

That is total rubbish. He should choose the highest bitrate he's willing to use, because re-compressing already lossily compressed content (like iTunes Store downloads) introduces additional quality loss.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smashbrosfan View Post

Wow... the lack of actual support on this forum is astounding...

And the lack of reading the original post on your part is even more astounding.

Quote:

my question is how can i turn the downloaded itunes songs into .mp3

Get that? Downloaded iTunes songs?