Me again, starting new thread to cut down on the length

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm back! Sorry, but I have a few more questions.

How is the sound quality? From what I have read from the MB, the sound quality isn't real good, and is less than expected. Is this true with pro as well? My laptop has JBL Pro speakers, I'm sure they aren't the best, but they seem OK to me. I use mostly headphones cause people are usually around me, but once in awhile use the main speakers. Since this laptop is for media, I would think they would be pretty good.

Back to the issues of virus' (can you tell I use a PC?) I am always really careful when it comes to attachments and rarely open any. But I know that so many things can cause problems, i.e. videos online, pictures, etc. If an infected file is downloaded online what happens on a Mac? For example, I have used the Yahoo! Widget-like program before. I see that a lot of widgets are from users, so I've always been concerned to download them that they might be infected. I see that the Apple website has tons of downloads and some of them are also from users, is this something that I need to be worried about on a Mac, or how does that really work?

I'm still trying to decide if I want to purchase here soon, like the next few weeks or wait for leopard. I like the programs like Spaces, TimeKeeper, the e-mail features, etc. but I'm also a little concerned about getting a brand new release that there will be some major issue when it comes out..... Also, on that note, I've noticed there are different versions of Tiger, are these just regular updates, or do you have to pay for them?

Finally, I am trying to figure out where to buy. I would really like to buy somewhere like Sams Club that has a good return policy, but that isn't possible since they don't offer them. I am looking at Amazon, the Apple Store and Comp Usa right now. Amazon offers the $150 rebate, but I have heard they ship older models. The Apple Store I am going to assume ships the most recent models, but doesn't really offer an good specials or discounts (I read on the site they have a $48 a month payment plan, but the offer they have is only 90 days, if it was $48 for 90 days and that paid it, it would be great, but. When I asked sales representative the other night, he really didn't seem to know what he was talking about and couldn't give me any info on it. Finally, CompUSA has the same price as Apple, I'm not sure about the age of the product, but I like that they are offering a deal where you don't have to pay interest for two years and that they are only a little over an hour away from my home, so if I had to I could more than likely get there on a weekend.

I think that is all for now, thanks again

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Amazon is a great place to buy one from. I got my iMac from there a year ago, and the $150 rebate (and no sales tax) was definitely nice!

They do have older models for sale, but the new ones are there within a week of release. It lists the specs, so you just have to make sure you've got the right one.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

Amazon is a great place to buy one from. I got my iMac from there a year ago, and the $150 rebate (and no sales tax) was definitely nice!

They do have older models for sale, but the new ones are there within a week of release. It lists the specs, so you just have to make sure you've got the right one.

That sounds great. That extra rebate would pay for an upgrade in Leopard down the road or Microsoft Office for Mac. I have to see if they charge tax for my state or something, because I was thinking when I have placed order before I was always charged tax. It would be great if they didn't.

I had read in one review that someone bought one of the newer models, where the loud fan and heat had been fixed, but theirs came with those same problems. If they are only a week or some behind, there is a chance anywhere else I might buy from doesn't have anything newer anyways.

Great news, thanks!
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Sorry everyone, I just realized that I titled my new post as "Starting a New Threat" I meant to say starting a new thread!!!
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple_Apple_Where_Are_You View Post

Sorry everyone, I just realized that I titled my new post as "Starting a New Threat" I meant to say starting a new thread!!!

Fixed that.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    hey apple_apple,

before you choose a store, check out information about taxes and shipping. i live in ohio too, and there are some sites, usually the smaller ones, where taxes don't apply. i have been told that it has to do with the company haveing some physical presence in the state where you are purchasing from. one way to check out your options would be to get the model numbers of the mac you want (starts with M.... and should be on the apple site) and type it into a shopping site like shopzilla, mysimon, or something like that. some sites will calculate the best deal based on your location.

if you actually want to play with a mac before you buy it, there are several apple stores around. there is one in beachwood, columbus and cincinnati so there should be one within moderate driving distance. if you are somewhat near beachwood, make a day of hanging out at legacy village to justify the drive; it's a fun place to hang out. if you don't live near one, there is compusa, but the employees aren't always the most helpful (but they try ).

Anyway, hope that helps.

good luck.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    [QUOTE=Apple_Apple_Where_Are_You;1028876

I'm still trying to decide if I want to purchase here soon, like the next few weeks or wait for leopard. I like the programs like Spaces, TimeKeeper, the e-mail features, etc. but I'm also a little concerned about getting a brand new release that there will be some major issue when it comes out..... Also, on that note, I've noticed there are different versions of Tiger, are these just regular updates, or do you have to pay for them?

/QUOTE]

You most likely will have the latest version of Tiger if you get a Mac now. Every now and again I run Software Update and it checks for updates. The process, while similar, is much less painful on the Mac side than on windows. And no you do not pay for decimal upgrades to Mac OSX or the iLife and iWork apps. Only pay when they undergo major changes.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Thanks audiopollution for changing that, I couldn't believe I had done that \

Thanks for all the info store_bot. I try to buy from more known sources online, i.e like Amazon or the actual manufacture just to be on the safe side. I don't really like to give out my CC info online if I don't have to. I'd love to go to an actual Apple Store, but unfortunately that is about a 4 hour drive for me. Although Beachwood does sound interesting and I've never been there, so maybe I will make the trip sometime. I was able to go to CompUsa today, only abour an hour and a half. I know someone that bought a computer there (older, very new to computers) and he really liked them, he said they were very helpful, good at answering questions, etc. Overall they were all quite knowledgeable, I got a lot of information that really helped. But, now I am just drooling. I was able to see both the iMac and cinema displays They were so awesome. I'm trying to come up with a way to actually make the 30" display a reasonable purchase Although, I think it may even be a little too big. Personally, I thought the 24 inch iMac was pretty sweet. Considering it is the same price as the MacBook entry level, it is very tempting. I don't know if I am going to get that now, but it is definitely at the top of my list for my next desktop.

Thanks backtomac for clearing that up. I thought that is how it would work, but wanted to make sure.

Thanks for all your help everyone, I do appreciate it!
  • Reply 8 of 12
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    You're welcome.

For any new people reading this thread, take note: making your questions clear and being pleasant = lots of answers from lots of helpful people, on account of we're like that.

Sometimes posters ask questions in such a way it is hard to make out what they are asking, and sometimes posters ask questions with a weird hostile vibe ("I know this will piss off all the Apple fan boys, but...."). These people do not get lost of helpful answers from lots of helpful people, because we are also like that.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by audiopollution View Post

Fixed that.

LOL "Starting a New Threat". Good job with the fix AudioP. And AppleAppleApple, good luck with your purchase. I am going through some MacBook issues, Core1Duo revA model, issues are mostly psychological though. It's too beautiful especially with Unsanity skins that kill off the brush metal for some beautiful, beautiful stuff. I don't deserve such a beautiful OS and computing experience.... *Snifff*... How can anyone go back to WindowsXP or Vista after Tiger, Macintels, Unsanity skins, and iLife and iWork........
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

You're welcome.

For any new people reading this thread, take note: making your questions clear and being pleasant = lots of answers from lots of helpful people, on account of we're like that.

Sometimes posters ask questions in such a way it is hard to make out what they are asking, and sometimes posters ask questions with a weird hostile vibe ("I know this will piss off all the Apple fan boys, but...."). These people do not get lost of helpful answers from lots of helpful people, because we are also like that.

Sorry it took so long to reply, I've been out of town and things have been a little crazy. I really do appreciate everyones answers, I didn't think I would get any as crazy as I was and as many as I had, but you guys have been great. So hopefully this threaD will help lots of people wanting to buy a new MacBook, or any Mac for that matter.

After getting to use the MacBook pro in person it was a good and a bad thing. I liked seeing it and getting a feel for it, obviously I wasn't able to get a real feel for it, but it worked. I loved the size, since my laptop is a few years old it really isn't a notebook, I've got regular notebooks much bigger than the Macs. Mine is like carry a cement block around, so the smaller size would be great. I looked at the difference in size between the 15" and 17", I didn't think it was enough to really want that one, but it may be in option. I still really liked the Macs and the Cinema displays and would love to be able to get it in white. But anyways...

The only thing I didn't like, aside from having to get used to getting around on Mac OS again, was that the speed didn't seem really great. I don't know if it was because it was a display or what, but in my experience the displays have always been a lot faster than when I get the computer home so it was a little upsetting that the speed seemed so slow.

I'm still thinking about my options, I tend to be a little slow at making these decisions.

So thanks again for all the help!
  • Reply 11 of 12
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    I feel your pain. A woman at work paid me to work on two of her 15.4" PC laptops. I nearly ruptured my spleen trying to lift them!
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

I feel your pain. A woman at work paid me to work on two of her 15.4" PC laptops. I nearly ruptured my spleen trying to lift them!

Yeah, I thought I would try to outsmart my computer. I travel a moderate amount, so I went out and bought a nice, somewhat large, rolling laptop bag. I had plenty of room for the computer (it actually fit in the case, at the time I was having a hard time finding one that would fit it) plus any accessories, paperwork, etc. It was perfect, until the first time I traveled with it. Getting in and out of the car, taking it through security, up stairs, putting it in the overhead etc. By the time I got to my destination I felt like I had a full exercise