Do Macbooks come with the OS on CD?

om2om2
Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Silly question: Do Macbooks come with the OS on CD?

I bought a Macbook about 2 months ago.

I bought an extra hard drive.

I want to install a new version of the OS so that can use this one for work.

I can't find the OS disc.

I don't actually remember getting the disc in the box.

Or maybe I'm being forgetful.

I spoke to Apple (about something else)... and asked them about installing the OS.

They said I should have got a disc.

Thanks for any replies.

(Apologies if this is the worng forum... I didn't think my question was an OS one strictly speaking.)

OM

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OM2 View Post

Silly question: Do Macbooks come with the OS on CD?

I bought a Macbook about 2 months ago.

I bought an extra hard drive.

I want to install a new version of the OS so that can use this one for work.

I can't find the OS disc.

I don't actually remember getting the disc in the box.

Or maybe I'm being forgetful.

I spoke to Apple (about something else)... and asked them about installing the OS.

They said I should have got a disc.

Thanks for any replies.

(Apologies if this is the worng forum... I didn't think my question was an OS one strictly speaking.)

OM

I just got a new macbook 2.0ghz and it came with 2cd's. One of them was the OS. It was in a small grey box with the instuction booklet.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    leonardleonard Posts: 528member
    Doesn't the MacOS come on DVDs on new computers? I thought Apple stopped shipping MacOS on CD.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Yes, It's on DVD now. I don't think the origional poster cares if it's DVD or CD.

In any case... you should definitely have gotten disc(s) with the new mac. However... it will be a "System Restore" disc. Not an OSX install disc. It will re-install OSX on your macbook (along with all the original software, if you wish)... but it won't install the OS onto a different computer... I'm willing to bet it won't install onto an external HD either, but maybe.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    You can try to use SuperDuper or something similar to "clone" a perfectly bootable exact copy onto a separate hard disk. Then putting that hard disk in another similar Mac should work.

Not legal though, you should buy the Family Pack if installing OSX on more than one machine.

Yeah you should have the "Install DVDs/ System Restore Software" stuff that came in the box with your MacBook.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    om2om2 Posts: 67member
    thanks for the replies.

hmmm... i remember a grey booklet thingy... just don't know where i've put it.

just wanted to confirm if it was my memory loss or if i hadn't got the CD (i mean DVD) int he first place.

going to look for it now.....

not wanting to install on another machine.

1. want to install on another 2.5 sata hard drive so that i can use in the same machine.

2. been told that i can install on an external hard drive and boot from that by mac tech support... defnitely want to give that a go.

all i want to do is play around... delete and edit system files all over the place...

and doing so: having the knowledge that i can go back to my original system ont he original drive.

legality?

erm... i may have been ignorant to that.

i went right ahead and asked tech support.

they said what i specifically wanted to do was ok.

he was even about to take me through it... but told me to get my os disc out... which i didn't know if i had or not (and hence my original post!).
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Yep .. sounds like legal use ... you have a license to use the OS on one Mac. There is nothing that says you can't have multiple bootable discs... so long as you only use them all on one specific machine.

Just be sure your external encloure is FireWire ... can't boot from a USB device.