What do YOU do?

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
I've always wondered this time to time, but now I guess I'm finally going to ask.

What is your job and why are you in that particular field? What brought you to where you are today?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    justinjustin Posts: 403member
    Lol.

Guy - you're supposed to start first.
  • Reply 2 of 41
    Forget that. I already know what I do...
  • Reply 3 of 41
    Thanks Guy.

That's an inspirational approach for the rest of us to model ourselves on such autistic aspirations!
  • Reply 4 of 41
    Goddamnit Justin...

I work for the State. I'm there because it's practically the best job one could possibly have for a student. Paid sick and vacation time plus two hour lunches along with 5 hours of subsequent internet browsing is hard to beat. As I said, I'm also a student with one semester left then it's off to law school at McGeorge.

I guess I didn't say anything before because I really don't count myself as "DOING" anything yet. My job currently is not my career. And if I were to take my question literally, keg stands and teabagging would be the only thing I'd be bringing to the table.
  • Reply 5 of 41
    Hey Guy - I feel bad now! I'd better scarper

Thanks for telling us.
  • Reply 6 of 41
    Justin, I don't believe you've told us what you do yet. As for myself, I do nothing. I'm still in high school; therefore almost nothing I do matters outside my own life.
  • Reply 7 of 41
    Er, I know.

I am freelancer and I quite like my privacy
  • Reply 8 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Justin View Post

Er, I know.

I am freelancer and I quite like my privacy

Freelance photographer? Freelance musician? Freelance assassin? Freelance hobo? Freelance father? What are you?
  • Reply 9 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maimezvous View Post

Freelance photographer? Freelance musician? Freelance assassin? Freelance hobo? Freelance father? What are you?

Actually, I like all of those

oops. I left out the indefinite article in my last post. my Apple keyboard is sticking at the first letter of the lphabet!!
  • Reply 10 of 41
    This thread is doomed...

The only chance of revival is if Spline does his usual and takes the thread and puts it back on course...
  • Reply 11 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post

This thread is doomed...

The only chance of revival is if Spline does his usual and takes the thread and puts it back on course...

Do you think kittens would help?
  • Reply 12 of 41
    Ok. Ok! Sorry.

I'll start then.

Quote:

What is your job?

I work with animals. Kittens particularly. *sniigger*

Quote:

What is your job?

I cook them!
    Quote:

Why are you in that particular field?

Because they taste delicious in any field!

Quote:

What brought you to where you are today?

Er, taste buds?
  • Reply 13 of 41
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:

As I said, I'm also a student with one semester left then it's off to law school at McGeorge.

Top tier-- good job.
  • Reply 14 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShawnJ View Post

Top tier-- good job.

Well I wouldn't say top tier but they're in the 100. I had some help. Actually a lot of help. But nevertheless it is a relief. That process was gutwrenching...
  • Reply 15 of 41
    Quote:

Well I wouldn't say top tier but they're in the 100. I had some help. Actually a lot of help. But nevertheless it is a relief. That process was gutwrenching...

Jusssst wait.

• Reply 16 of 41
    Hey - that's great to know you're almost finished your studies.

It might be worthwhile remembering that the British don't think very clearly on a Friday evening!

Sorry for screwing up the thread - by all means everyone please disinhibit yourselves
  • Reply 17 of 41
    @_@ artman@_@ artman Posts: 5,231member
    Quote:

I've always wondered this time to time, but now I guess I'm finally going to ask.

What is your job and why are you in that particular field? What brought you to where you are today?

I'm a graphic designer working for a tobacco and tobacco accessories (tobacco, cigars, pipes, papers, Bic & Zippo lighters). I design their catalogs and weekly mailers. Also some web design for their site. I've been in graphic and web design for about 20 years. Weathered the dot com roller coaster (5 start ups in 10 years).

Now with practically no design jobs in Philly and web design becoming a programmer profession, I am where I need to be to pay the bills. The downside to the job is the pay and commuting. The plus side is that I work with great people in a casual atmosphere. My boss gives me a lot of creative freedom in designing the bi-monthly mailers we send out. Even lets me illustrate the covers. Some examples...

Putting Da Vinci to a new twist to promote the line of Zippo NFL lighters.

A New Years baby (my co-workers son) for the 2006 mailer.
  • Reply 18 of 41
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    I'm 'involved' with a small outsourcing company that services the college textbook industry. I started doing desktop publishing at night, while working full-time doing solid modeling, etc.; it has gradually taken over nearly all my time.
  • Reply 19 of 41
    What is "solid modeling?"
  • Reply 20 of 41
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmz View Post

I'm 'involved' with a small outsourcing company that services the college textbook industry. I started doing desktop publishing at night, while working full-time doing solid modeling, etc.; it has gradually taken over nearly all my time.

i thought you worked in a zoo!

So do you do stuff with Solidworks or suchlike, or in solid modelling like John Holmes?