I was bored at work, so I installed OSX on one of our Dells

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
The company I work for has recently been 'acquired' by a larger company, and all of the Dell machines we have are leased - our new company doesn't want to renew the lease, so the Dells all have to go back. Awwwww

So anyway, that's probably gonna happen sometime in April. In the mean time, we've cleared all of our files and apps from the Dells onto our new ThinkPads (truly awful laptops I have to say), and the Dells are just sitting around doing nothing. I thought I'd see how OS X runs on them.

Specs for those who are interested:

Dell Optiplex GX240

Pentium 4 @ 2.4 GHz

1 GB SDRAM

Rage 128 Pro 32MB VRAM

It's pretty much the same as using my old G3 iBook... Which only runs at 600MHz

Anyway, I also thought it would be a laugh to put VMWare and Parallels on there. Unfortunately I couldn't get VMWare to run because it refused to recognise the license I got from them, and it threw up a kernel panic at the end of the installation. Parallels is up and running, though it is incredibly slow.

But here we have it! A Dell running OS X, running Windows in virtualization

If I'm feeling particularly sick, I might also install VMWare on the Windows environment and run Ubuntu on it. But I doubt that 1gig of RAM will be able to cope with all of that...

Pictures, for your enjoyment (?)

You'll have to forgive me for the poor quality - the phone I'm using is a motorola L6, which has a dreadful, sub-megapixel camera on it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    Wow that's pretty cool. it's weird to see "2.4ghz Pentium 4" in the information panel.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    I know you're itching for me to ask, "How?"
  • Reply 3 of 23
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MajorMatt View Post

And if he tells you, he's banned.

Fair warning.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy View Post

And if he tells you, he's banned.

Fair warning.

Just to play devils advocate, you COULD take it OUTSIDE AppleInsider if you REALLY wanted to know.

For me, I am perfectly happy running Mac OS on a Mac.
  • Reply 5 of 23
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MajorMatt View Post

I was more thinking that the question would be "why?" rather than "how?"
  • Reply 6 of 23
    well i mean he was bored, we wasnt trying to substitute it for a macintosh
  • Reply 7 of 23
    Very VERY skeptical about that. Looks like you've got an iMac hiding under that table. See the blue reflection? Had one guy try to convince me that he had done a similar thing once. Dude was so full of bs it stopped being funny and just became annoying. I don't want to get you banned, so I'll just ask: Was it easy, or hard? And how long did it take?
  • Reply 8 of 23
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Celemourn View Post

Very VERY skeptical about that.

The means of getting OS X to run on a third-party x86-based machine have been rather well-documented for years.

There's no reason at all to believe that this is fake.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Celemourn View Post

Very VERY skeptical about that. Looks like you've got an iMac hiding under that table. See the blue reflection? Had one guy try to convince me that he had done a similar thing once. Dude was so full of bs it stopped being funny and just became annoying. I don't want to get you banned, so I'll just ask: Was it easy, or hard? And how long did it take?

Hehe. It is real - I'll make a wee video of it booting up on Monday when I'm back at work.

As for how easy or hard - it was, eh, 'messy'. Things went wrong and there was lots of fiddling to be done. Probably took about 8 hours in total, because of several failed attempts. It certainly is no replacement for a real Mac.

At the moment, it's sort of working most of the time. This is the current list of problems:
    • applications crash quite often

• sometimes it fails to recognise the hard disk on booting

• sound is very choppy

• anything using OpenGL is dog slow

• Energy Saver settings have no effect to the system

• 1024x768 is the only resolution recognised and I can't choose a refresh rate

But you know what, it was still fun to get it up and running, if only for the sheer ridiculousness of it all
  • Reply 10 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yama View Post

Hehe. It is real - I'll make a wee video of it booting up on Monday when I'm back at work.

As for how easy or hard - it was, eh, 'messy'. Things went wrong and there was lots of fiddling to be done. Probably took about 8 hours in total, because of several failed attempts. It certainly is no replacement for a real Mac.

At the moment, it's sort of working most of the time. This is the current list of problems:
    • applications crash quite often

• sometimes it fails to recognise the hard disk on booting

• sound is very choppy

• anything using OpenGL is dog slow

• Energy Saver settings have no effect to the system

• 1024x768 is the only resolution recognised and I can't choose a refresh rate

But you know what, it was still fun to get it up and running, if only for the sheer ridiculousness of it all

Ok, that sounds about like what I'd expect, I guess.

Chucker, this is what I was talking about:

http://www.applegeeks.com/sm/index.p...html#msg144677

Dude claimed to have installed from a RETAIL version of Tiger. You'll get a chuckle from reading the thread, I think.

Anyway, looks like I'm being paranoid regarding getting MacOS on a pc cause of this guy (eh, the one in the link, not you, yama). I'd still love to see the video though.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    It was quite obvious that he didn't have an imac hiding under the table. The system info panel showed a 2.4 ghz Pentium 4 proc, as you know, no imac ever had this cpu.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paprochy View Post

It was quite obvious that he didn't have an imac hiding under the table. The system info panel showed a 2.4 ghz Pentium 4 proc, as you know, no imac ever had this cpu.

things can be faked. At any rate, I was probably just being overly skeptical. I concede the point.

Fun when people catch me committing the Knee-jerk.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Dude claimed to have installed from a RETAIL version of Tiger. You'll get a chuckle from reading the thread, I think.

Yeah - he's full of shit.

He goofed in his little made-up story of purchasing Tiger on the way out of the Apple store. There is no Intel version of Tiger sold in the Apple store.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy View Post

Yeah - he's full of shit.

He goofed in his little made-up story of purchasing Tiger on the way out of the Apple store. There is no Intel version of Tiger sold in the Apple store.

<nod> That was the key point that I latched on to too. If not for that, I could have believed that he was just a social dufus. If you check the last post in the thread, you'll notice the second question that I posed to him, regarding the "Feynman Unification Theory". I exchanged a couple more messages with him after that, and he simply said "I'm not sure, ask your prof." Damning answer since the "Feynman Unification Theory" doesn't exist. I made it up to see if he would call me on bs or not. He pretended that he had heard of it. Total poser. Good for a chuckle in retrospect though.

Paul
  • Reply 15 of 23
    Here we go, a video of the damn thing booting up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwviMAxy8DE

It's actually kinda boring to watch...

Also, I installed the universal binary version of Quake 1 (from fruitz of dojo) and did a quick "timedemo demo1" at 640x480 in software mode. The result was 19.5fps. As a comparison, my PowerBook G4 which runs at 1.5GHz managed to get 52.7fps with the same settings. Ouch! Like I said, performance on the Dell is pretty bad.

I tried running the GL version but that just refused to launch. Oh well.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    Quote:

Here we go, a video of the damn thing booting up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwviMAxy8DE

It's actually kinda boring to watch...

Also, I installed the universal binary version of Quake 1 (from fruitz of dojo) and did a quick "timedemo demo1" at 640x480 in software mode. The result was 19.5fps. As a comparison, my PowerBook G4 which runs at 1.5GHz managed to get 52.7fps with the same settings. Ouch! Like I said, performance on the Dell is pretty bad.

I tried running the GL version but that just refused to launch. Oh well.

ha ha! That's awesome! Good job man!
  • Reply 17 of 23
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:

The company I work for has recently been 'acquired' by a larger company, and all of the Dell machines we have are leased - our new company doesn't want to renew the lease, so the Dells all have to go back. Awwwww

So anyway, that's probably gonna happen sometime in April. In the mean time, we've cleared all of our files and apps from the Dells onto our new ThinkPads (truly awful laptops I have to say), and the Dells are just sitting around doing nothing. I thought I'd see how OS X runs on them.

Specs for those who are interested:

Dell Optiplex GX240

Pentium 4 @ 2.4 GHz

1 GB SDRAM

Rage 128 Pro 32MB VRAM

It's pretty much the same as using my old G3 iBook... Which only runs at 600MHz

Anyway, I also thought it would be a laugh to put VMWare and Parallels on there. Unfortunately I couldn't get VMWare to run because it refused to recognise the license I got from them, and it threw up a kernel panic at the end of the installation. Parallels is up and running, though it is incredibly slow.

But here we have it! A Dell running OS X, running Windows in virtualization

If I'm feeling particularly sick, I might also install VMWare on the Windows environment and run Ubuntu on it. But I doubt that 1gig of RAM will be able to cope with all of that...

Wow, you should help this out then: http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=70812

maybe if you show him the way he'll become a mac user after he falls in love with OSX.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    Ironic. I was reading this article on CNN about "Windows is coming to the Mac - And Mac to PCs

"Until now it hasn't been possible to for most corporate users to switch to the Mac OS because they needed applications that only ran on Windows, notably Microsoft Outlook. But that problem is melting away. Beloussov says Parallels is now talking to a number of big companies about making the switch.

VMware's CEO Diane Greene told me last week that her company's existing x86 desktop product is already being used by some to run Mac OS on computers from Dell (Charts), Hewlett-Packard (Charts) and others, though this is not intentional on VMware's part."

What's all the hue and cry? CNN's reporting it. Imagine the curious readers out there who'll try it themselves now.

I think it would be a disaster for Apple, Inc if this happened. All their innovative hardware would gather dust on the shelves (extreme, but you never know).
  • Reply 19 of 23
    A lot of us buy Macs because of the hardware. I don't think that would happen somehow. I'm still using my 500 mhz iBook. Meanwhile, the 1.8 ghz Thinkpad my work gave me has two years after i bought the iBook has been dead for over a year now. And truth be told, I just kept using the iBook. I used the thinkpad as a loaner when someone in my department needed to work off site.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    Watching that video made me feel dirty ! ... I think I even threw up in my mouth a little