How to solve this problem???

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
my iMac G5 start up very slowly and stop after startup bar is filled. It can't go to main window (desktop). I tried to reinstal Mac os X but without results. When I hold Option key during start up I can choose just Macintosh HD not DVD (CD). I tried with holding C key and Command+Option+Shift+Delete but same. Simply iMac dont recognize there is DVD rom into it. What is a problem and have a someone who can help me? I can move mouse on the screen and start up bar looks like is not finish with start up actions but it stay in that position in hours. How I can activate DVD like a different boot volume? I tried with holding Shift, holding X, holding Options+Command+P+R but nothing hapend....

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Hold the "C" key down to start up from a CD or DVD at boot up.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

Hold the "C" key down to start up from a CD or DVD at boot up.

Quote:

I tried with holding C key and Command+Option+Shift+Delete but same

• Reply 3 of 12
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy View Post

Oops, didn't notice that. Anyway you should have it looked at by an Apple tech. Sounds like a hardware issue.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    I should add a bit of info that vladimirro sent in a PM. Apparently, the CoreServices folder was deleted. This is why the login will fail because the Finder was in that folder along with a whole bunch of other stuff necessary for a proper boot.

If the disc isn't working, it may be that you are using an older disc and the firmware has been updated since then. There is a way to force a boot through open firmware but I can't remember what the exact commands are. First you type devalias to get a list of devices and then boot using a certain formatted string that includes the address of that device.

I tried getting to open firmware (or EFI firmware) on my Intel Mac and option-command-o-f doesn't work. I read somewhere that the EFI firmware isn't setup properly and if you choose particular settings, you can actually brick your computer so Apple disabled it on the Intel machines.

Since you are on PPC, you should be able to get to open firmware but I'd say it's better if you can get another installation CD. I'm guessing you perhaps didn't keep a clone of your hard drive somewhere? If you had, it would be as simple as booting the external drive and cloning back the deleted folder.

If you have access to another computer, what you can do is use it to copy the installer disc onto an external drive and try and boot from that to reinstall or you can even install OS X onto an external drive and boot your iMac from it. Then copy all your data off the internal drive and when it's done, clone the external system back onto the internal drive.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I should add a bit of info that vladimirro sent in a PM. Apparently, the CoreServices folder was deleted. This is why the login will fail because the Finder was in that folder along with a whole bunch of other stuff necessary for a proper boot.

If the disc isn't working, it may be that you are using an older disc and the firmware has been updated since then. There is a way to force a boot through open firmware but I can't remember what the exact commands are. First you type devalias to get a list of devices and then boot using a certain formatted string that includes the address of that device.

I tried getting to open firmware (or EFI firmware) on my Intel Mac and option-command-o-f doesn't work. I read somewhere that the EFI firmware isn't setup properly and if you choose particular settings, you can actually brick your computer so Apple disabled it on the Intel machines.

Since you are on PPC, you should be able to get to open firmware but I'd say it's better if you can get another installation CD. I'm guessing you perhaps didn't keep a clone of your hard drive somewhere? If you had, it would be as simple as booting the external drive and cloning back the deleted folder.

If you have access to another computer, what you can do is use it to copy the installer disc onto an external drive and try and boot from that to reinstall or you can even install OS X onto an external drive and boot your iMac from it. Then copy all your data off the internal drive and when it's done, clone the external system back onto the internal drive.

Thanks mate, but problem persist. I allready copy CoreServices from powerbook into imac but the problem is not solved because the power book had a mac os 9. The bigest problem is that i couldn't activate dvd for start install mac os x. I have 3 original mac os x dvd (1&2) but with each of them is the same situation. I press C during startup imac but it keep going like C isn't pressed.

When I press option on the screen appear just HDD icon. Same is and when I try to boot up from power book which is in target mode and both of them are connected via firewire cabel

Simply my iMac couldn't see dvd or cd inside them or inside other computers.

I have and external USB HDD but when I start up iMac with option key pressed on the screen is just iMac HDD icon and one circle below them with up arrow inside. So I haven't choice to choose anything else than HDD in iMac.

When iMac is in target mode than I can see all files inside them and DVD too. What do u mine is it possible to start mac os x on power book and then choose where to install mac os x?

Thanks

vladimirro
  • Reply 6 of 12
    rob05aurob05au Posts: 348member
    One question is your iMac a PowerPC or Intel mac?

I am in Sydney and will help further if needed.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rob05au View Post

One question is your iMac a PowerPC or Intel mac?

I am in Sydney and will help further if needed.

i'm not sure but I think it is iMac intel

IMAC 17"/2.0G/1GB/160G/SD/AP/BT

the iMac is buyed in august 2006
  • Reply 8 of 12
    rob05aurob05au Posts: 348member
    Can you please do this as it will make sure for definate.

Goto the Apple topleft then to About this Mac and lets know which processor it says it has.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Quote:

Goto the Apple topleft then to About this Mac and lets know which processor it says it has.

I'm looking on the box...

PowerPC G5 processor
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:

do u have msn or skype? can I add u in my contacts to communicate online?
  • Reply 11 of 12
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vladimirro View Post

Thanks mate, but problem persist. I allready copy CoreServices from powerbook into imac but the problem is not solved because the power book had a mac os 9. The bigest problem is that i couldn't activate dvd for start install mac os x. I have 3 original mac os x dvd (1&2) but with each of them is the same situation. I press C during startup imac but it keep going like C isn't pressed.

When I press option on the screen appear just HDD icon. Same is and when I try to boot up from power book which is in target mode and both of them are connected via firewire cabel

It looks like the systems are too old. 10.1 and 10.2 are pretty old systems. I remember after installing 10.4 on my old G4 Mini and possibly after firmware updates that my original 10.3 CD wouldn't boot. The one that came with the machine did though.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by vladimirro View Post

When iMac is in target mode than I can see all files inside them and DVD too. What do u mine is it possible to start mac os x on power book and then choose where to install mac os x?

It should be possible to install onto the G5 drive from the powerbook the iMac is in target mode. However, it probably still won't boot if the system is too old. What OS version was on the iMac before it stopped booting?
  • Reply 12 of 12
    pevepeve Posts: 518member
    hi

are you using the system dvd's that came with the imac?

does the system dvd work in other dvd-drives?