help. 24 incher on the way

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
i am getting 2.33 gig 24 inch imac tomorrow. i have a 17 inch imac first gen intel. i want to keep keychain stuff (passwords etc and reg codes but i don't want to use target mode to transfer. so how do i do this? can i use migration manager to only transfer some info. for exmple my screen resolution is different for 17 inch, if i use target mode does new imac get old imac screen resolution?

so to reiturate what is best way to do new set up. clean start or migration manager? i have a couple of third party softwares that i paid reg for and i don't have all the codes anymore.

thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    cyloncylon Posts: 126member
    I moved from a old 17" g4 iMac to a MacPro with a 23" Cinema display a few months ago. Target mode worked wonderfully. I just started the new computer. It asked if I wanted to transfer settings from an old one. Tell it yes and it will tell you to hook the other computer up by Firewire in Target mode. It will ask you what you want to transfer. i.e. Programs, files, settings. I transferred everything. Took a few hours, came back and restarted the new computer and shazaam, everything was there. I only had to reselect a desktop pattern. My keychains and everything transferred. Even the other users I had set up for the kids. The only program that I had to reinput my authentication code for was Missing Sync. Everything else worked. Also had to authorize that computer then to play my downloaded iTunes music.

It was very easy and painless.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Tons of ways, easiest is use .mac. Set up a trial and away you go.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    gdoggdog Posts: 224member
    switch to new i mac was great. took less than 10 minutes and up and running great.