Final Boot Camp To Be Offered To Tiger Users For $30?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2007/...21124909.shtml

oh no, $30 for boot camp ... another long thread coming ...

can i leave my bootcamp as beta stage?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2007/...21124909.shtml

oh no, $30 for boot camp ... another long thread coming ...

can i leave my bootcamp as beta stage?

I suspected this might happen but I never thought Apple would actually do it. The signs of it being time limited software pointed to it however. Now, this should mean that people who have used Bootcamp to partition the drive should be ok but it implies there would be no means of removing the partition or making a new one. If they have somehow put time limits in the drivers or the firmware, that would be really bad but I very much doubt it. I think it will be limited to the partitioning etc. This means that if anyone is planning to install Windows, do it sooner rather than later.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    I guess it comes with Leopard, may be get Upgrade to Leopard than buy Bootcamp and Leopard separately ...
  • Reply 3 of 5
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

If they have somehow put time limits in the drivers or the firmware, that would be really bad but I very much doubt it.

While I haven't checked directly, this would not surprise me in the *least*. Apple has, traditionally, placed time expirations in beta software given to developers. Past a certain date, it simply won't run.

Also, it would be trivial to have included a check for the OS version as looking for exactly 10.4. If you upgrade to 10.5, again, it won't run.

This is a good thing for support issues, customer experience, etc. It's a bad thing for surprising customers with, however. Of course, one would *hope* that anyone savvy enough to be using BootCamp would also be savvy enough to have known about a time limit.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    smaxsmax Posts: 361member
    Well, past the time limit the program won't run. You'd still be able to boot in to Windows though. Actually, to resize partitions and the such, you don't really need Boot Camp. Honestly, the only thing that I have seen that you really NEED from boot camp is the driver CD, and even then most of the drivers can be found elsewhere.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    waneawanea Posts: 62member
    that rumor sounds like crap to me...

peace