Shit. Total, utter, hard CRASH. PLEASE help.

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Well, as anyone can see from my post count, I'm a long time Mac user.

Today I was using my MacBook Core 2 Duo fine for half an hour. I looked back and it was frozen. Cursor wouldn't move. I've hard crashed like this a few times before since getting it. I was already contemplating taking it back and perhaps requesting a new unit. These new Intel machines or perhaps the Intel OS X seem woefully prone to hard crashes, something I'm not used to anymore. But this...is different. It won't boot. I have verbose mode enabled and it hangs loading the kernel. Says kernal <panic> then a bunch of giberrish about traps and yadayada below it. Won't boot from the CD either. Yet when I hold D for Apple Hardware Test (that's a new one...the install disc is now the Apple Hardware test, I was frantically looking for it for half an hour until I realized that!) the extended hardware test says the machine is fine!

I don't have another machine until the weekend at my disposal to test to see if the drive mounts in Target disk mode. I will probably just stop at the Apple store tomorrow but I was wondering what people's thoughts are. The Install CD hangs at a blank blue screen. There is one thing--I left it in my car today while at work. It was perhaps almost freezing or freezing out. However I've done this before without harm. I try to avoid doing it. I forgot to take it in today but as I said, it's been fine before--plus, it had time to warm up, AND it worked today for an hour! And then this, out of nowhere.

I'll see what the Genius at Rockingham NH thinks...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    If you have another Mac around, fire it up in FireWire Target mode, and run Disk Utility on it from the other machine.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Well this beats it all. By the way it had displayed the standard Kernel Panic shut down screen when I zapped PRAM and thus deactivated verbose mode.

So I brought it to the Apple store and it did the same thing a few times. Then, after 10 mins of helping other people, we restarted it. It just worked. I'm typing on this machine now. So weird! Err..guess I'll just wait and see. The advantage is that they wrote this even down in the database. That's how it works though, when you bring things in they sometimes just start working.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

Well this beats it all. By the way it had displayed the standard Kernel Panic shut down screen when I zapped PRAM and thus deactivated verbose mode.

So I brought it to the Apple store and it did the same thing a few times. Then, after 10 mins of helping other people, we restarted it. It just worked. I'm typing on this machine now. So weird! Err..guess I'll just wait and see. The advantage is that they wrote this even down in the database. That's how it works though, when you bring things in they sometimes just start working.

have you added RAM to it?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    A possibility...

You said it was sitting in a cold car prior to these problems. Perhaps when you brought it into the warm "house" it started developing some interior condensation that caused these problems ... After it finally sat long enough to completely dry out that condensation, it now works fine ??

Just guessing.