screen resolution on 24 incher

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
just got 24 inch i mac. works great. screen is really really big. anyway i changed screen res to 1600 x 1000 inorder to make print bigger. otherwise all fonts, internet etc seems too small for the screen. anyone else feel the need for this? am i loosing important screen resolution doing this. does this speed things up at all. i am just playing around with this but my first impression is that the 1600 by 1000 is much more pleasant for all apps.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Isn't the text fuzzy since it's no longer running at its native resolution?
  • Reply 2 of 7
    gdoggdog Posts: 224member
    no it looks fine to me. dvd is good eyetv good. i don't feel like resolution is bad.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    keep at native 1920 x 1200 always, use the zoom feature in universal access in system preferences. Then use the keyboard short cuts cmd-opt plus and minus. To zoom in and out. Still burrs but quick to do.

Most application have a zoom feature use that. OS has bigger font sizes, and 128x128 Icons.

With Leopard having resolution independents at OS level there will be some way cooler options in the near future. Im interested to see what they will do with resolution independent in the finder.

Have fun
  • Reply 4 of 7
    gdoggdog Posts: 224member
    thanks for info. i am not finding any issues with slightly lower screen res. but your suuggestions are good. i don't want to have to zoom or change to bigger text on browser every time i get on line. is there solution that just zooms as an overall preference so i don't have to keep making extra steps.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    I believe OmniWeb will allow you to change your text zoom preferences per site.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

I believe OmniWeb will allow you to change your text zoom preferences per site.

Opera as well.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gdog View Post

thanks for info. i am not finding any issues with slightly lower screen res. but your suuggestions are good. i don't want to have to zoom or change to bigger text on browser every time i get on line. is there solution that just zooms as an overall preference so i don't have to keep making extra steps.

If you are enjoying the 24" at 1680x1050 as it is, so be it, enjoy... Whether you're "losing anything" or "speeding anything" is not really important, your comfort with the screen and your experience is the important thing.

Hopefully when OSX 10.5 Leopard comes out, the "resolution-independent" user interface will allow you to enjoy the original resolution while having text, window borders and icons as large as you need it to be...

I understand the DVD and TV looking alright and smoothed out, unless you have HighDef content DVD and especially analog content can look really "harsh and blocky" on big (24inch-50inch for example) LCD computer/TV screens.

Hurrah. 7,000th post. And a useful one too!!! (I think, anyway). 8)