Apple TV and native support for iTunes playback??

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Say I have a 500GB NAS, with all my video/audio etc on it, hooked up to my router. Say I have Apple TV hooked up to my TV.

With this setup I'd still have to be running a computer somewhere for Apple TV to be streaming music/video because iTunes would be on the computer even if the library was on a NAS. Is any NAS operating system capable of having and running iTunes? Or can Apple TV be hooked up to run iTunes native (it has 40 GB, what's that for?!) And would that mean that I could then stream video from the NAS to Apple TV without having any computers switched on on my home network?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zantzinger View Post

Say I have a 500GB NAS, with all my video/audio etc on it, hooked up to my router. Say I have Apple TV hooked up to my TV.

With this setup I'd still have to be running a computer somewhere for Apple TV to be streaming music/video because iTunes would be on the computer even if the library was on a NAS. Is any NAS operating system capable of having and running iTunes? Or can Apple TV be hooked up to run iTunes native (it has 40 GB, what's that for?!) And would that mean that I could then stream video from the NAS to Apple TV without having any computers switched on on my home network?

from what i've read, you need one computer on at least once to do the initial 'sync' of your itunes items, just like you do with an iPod. for streaming video (probably from a rental from the store), you'll need a computer on. I don't think having a computer on all the time is necessary since it does 'sync'. the idea is you set up the items you want on your Apple TV on the computer, press sync and they go over there to the HD.

yes, NAS drive/iTunes would be nice. But I don't see that working, yet.