Rogers Wireless lands exclusive iPhone deal in Canada

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Rogers Wireless has sealed a deal with Apple Inc. to become the exclusive carrier for iPhone in Canada, according to a customer advisory notice sent to subscribers this week.

The largest Canadian wireless communications provider told its customers that availability and pricing were still being sorted out, but added that it would be the only wireless carrier to offer the Apple handset in Canada.

"Other Canadian wireless carriers will not launch the iPhone," the carrier wrote.

Rogers in the email communication said it is actively working with Apple to launch the iPhone in Canada "as soon as possible." The carrier also revealed that Apple is planning to introduce the iPhone in Europe during the fourth quarter of 2007 and in Asia during 2008.

In an interview with the Globe and Mail earlier this month, Rogers chief operating officer Nadir Mohamed implied that his firm would make a good fit for the Apple phone, as its the only Canadian provider offering GSM service.

"I?m not saying whether we have agreements or anything [with Apple], but given the iPhone was launched on GSM, we?re in good position to reinforce that we?re the first and have the best-feature devices," he said at the time.

Rogers Wireless, previously known as Rogers AT&T Wireless, is a wholly owned subsidiary of Rogers Communications with 6.2 million subscribers and 5,000 employees.

In addition to acting as the the largest Canadian BlackBerry service provider, the carrier also claims to be the only Canadian wireless provider to offer a complete, independent coast-to-coast network spanning all Canadian regions excluding the Territories.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 45
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    . - ) * !
  • Reply 2 of 45
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Can't say I'm surprised by this.

But like I said in a another thread I heard you have to purchase a data plan with iphone I really don't wan this. These are incredibly expensive and EDIT: bad in canada, I just want the plan I have now but my phone to be an iphone, if I want to use wifi I'll use where ever it's free, like my house or school or somewhere else.

If I'm forking over 499-599usd on a phone I should be able to use it with any damn plan I want.

That's the best way to get the most iphone users aways, they essentially kill off their phone buying base if the phone cost over half a grand and the monthly cost is like 200bucks.

If that's what happens I'll just get a widescreen ipod and a nice ericsson.

Self edit: Sorry didn't mean to offend anyone, I'm honetly the most tolerant and accepting person out there, we use it like that in canada all the time (which is also the most tolerant and accepting country for that lol) and I wasn't thinking, I should have used a better word to describe myself. Sorry once again.
  • Reply 3 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking View Post

These are incredibly expensive and Edit: bad in canada

BAD ?

Edit - A mod was here.

Thank you for editing the previously offensive post that got me reacting in the first place.
  • Reply 4 of 45
    YAY!!!!

800 loonies for an iPhone and 120 a month for the damn data plan.

Rogers doesn't believe in deals.

guess I'll duct-tape my T720 to my wife's mini....
  • Reply 5 of 45
    websnapwebsnap Posts: 224member
    Yeah, saw this coming.

There is a rumor going 'round that Cingular in the States are going to offer the first 18 months of a 3 year plan at no cost on an iPhone because Apple won't let them subsidies the phone's cost with a plan. I hope that happens here too, that will at least take some of the sting out of the purchase.
  • Reply 6 of 45
    hujibhujib Posts: 117member
  • Reply 7 of 45
    The only way I am going to switch to rogers is if the deal is the same as cingular. for me. The data plans for telus are also awful, way to expensive. The Canadaian mobile market needs a lot more competiton.
  • Reply 8 of 45
    Apple needs to add 3.5G, or at the very least 3G, in Europe if they wish to sell it (since the article mentions they plan to launch it in Europe in the 4th quarter).
  • Reply 9 of 45
    I just switched from rogers. I should have known that they were going to get the iPhone, afterall, they did get the iTunes phone. I guess I'll have to switch back. Besides, Telus ? good. And I agree, the need to do the Cingular 1.5 years free deal or do something!
  • Reply 10 of 45
    The wireless data plans in Canada are obnoxiously expensive and are priced only for corporate executives. They could give the iPhone away for free and most people still couldn't afford it to use it. Unfortunately I think the iPhone is a lost cause in Canada.
  • Reply 11 of 45
    I'm sorry but the title is a bit sensationalist. Rogers has yet to "land" anything, they're just the most likely since they're the only GSM carrier in Canada. We only know that at some point they MAY carry the iPhone. If, when and how much are up to Apple to decide.
  • Reply 12 of 45
    ajmasajmas Posts: 601member
    There are only two GSM 'brands' in Canada: Rogers and Fido, but they are both owned by the company known as Rogers. The question I have is when they say Rogers has an exclusive contract, are they talking about the brand or the company?

EDIT: Turns out there is also a company known as 'Ice Wireless', but they are too small to matter.
  • Reply 13 of 45
    ouraganouragan Posts: 437member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by astrosmash View Post

The wireless data plans in Canada are obnoxiously expensive and are priced only for corporate executives. They could give the iPhone away for free and most people still couldn't afford it to use it. Unfortunately I think the iPhone is a lost cause in Canada.

My 3 brothers and 2 sisters in law are all with Rogers Wireless because they offer (or used to offer ?) the best deal in Canada, including free phone talk after 7 PM or 8 PM and all day on weekends.

Rogers is the biggest cable TV company in Canada. The only question I have is if the newcomer in Wireless and Cable phone, Videotron, has better deals in the Province of Quebec when you combine offers with them, e.g. Cable TV + Cable internet + Cable phone + Wireless phone.

Videotron is pretty much limited to the territory of the Province of Quebec. Besides Bell Canada which spans over the Provinces of Ontario and Quebec, Videotron is Rogers' biggest competitor.

The exclusive deal with a single Wireless phone provider will last only as long as Apple cannot meet demand for its shiny new wireless phones. But given that competitors are busy improving their own offering, Apple will meet consumer demand within a year, if not sooner.
  • Reply 14 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In an interview with the Globe and Mail earlier this month, Rogers chief operating officer Nadir Mohamed implied that his firm would make a good fit for the Apple phone, as its the only Canadian provider offering GSM service.

Kinda makes it easy to be the "exclusive carrier" then doesn't it?

This is anything but a surprize. As it happens, I'm already with Rogers for the crackberry... transitioning would be easy on the off chance I'll get an iPhone. Mah.
  • Reply 15 of 45
    Videotron's service is piggybacking on Rogers. they don't have any wireless infrastucture. It's just a way to get more subscribers onto their cable business. Right now Videotron is one of the only divisions of Quebecor that _makes_ money.
  • Reply 16 of 45
    Rogers is not the only GSM carrier in Canada. Fido (now owned by Rogers as well, but previously indepedent) also uses GSM.
  • Reply 17 of 45
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    Yeah, Rogers and Fido are the same now, so it doesn't really matter. Fido always had the best phones IMO (still happily using the Ericsson Z600 I bought a few years back), so I'd imagine that trend will continue even though they were bought out by Rogers.

Glad I didn't get caught up in the Crackberry hype and will soon be going straight to the iPhone. I was holding out for true convergence (phone, contact manager, wireless syncing, decent MP3 player, decent camera, decent email client which uses IMAP) and the iPhone looks to be it. The only other thing I could possibly want are video games as good as the PSP, but you can't have it all.

Sorry Research In Motion, if you would have moved faster on convergence rather than riding out one innovation, I would have happily supported a Canadian company.
  • Reply 18 of 45
    ajmasajmas Posts: 601member
    While the phone does not have full 3G support, it doesn't really matter since it will first be released to N. America, where there are no 3G networks. This is why Wi-Fi access is so handy. By the time the phone hits Europe you may find an updated feature set.

If the cellular companies are smart they will start branching out to support public Wi-Fi hot spots, which would be 'free' to the subscribers of that cell phone company. After all there is more bandwidth with Wi-Fi.
  • Reply 19 of 45
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Rogers has always been more expensive than other carriers in Canada. Fido had far better prices that Rogers and when Rogers bought them, they jacked up the prices for Fido customers (to pay for the purchase on their customers backs). Fido used to have $.10/min lond distance and $.10/min local over your plan. For $25 CDN, I used to get 200 daytime and unlimited evening/weekend minutes. As I said, any minutes above were only $.10. Within two months of the Rogers purchase of Fido, long distance went to $.25/min and over plan minutes are $.20. My weekend and evening minutes are now limited to 1000. I detest Rogers.

I stay only because with only three major carriers, there is no competition in the market here and I have had this phone number for too long to change it to save a few dollars with another carrier. I have not heard great things about Telus and Bell either.
  • Reply 20 of 45
    In a few more months, apparently you will be able to move to another carrier and still keep your phone number. Maybe this will spark a bit more competition since the cell companies will need to offer better packages to keep their current customers.

I'm locked into a contract with Rogers until Aug 2008, and if something else comes up then, I will switch for sure. My price plan is a rip off with only 200 daytime minutes, but free on weeknights/weekends.

The data package probably the biggest rip off. If I add $10 more to the feature bundle, then I will get 2MB per month for email/web browsing. Once I go over, they charge by the KB. I will not sign into these services until Rogers improves on their internet/data plans with more reasonable fee structures. Maybe they will announce a deal to good to pass up on when the iPhone comes out. If they do that, they will have both my business and good word of advice to others.