Impact of resolution independence

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
This is a key technology advantage has seem to be going under most people's radar. Having a system wide logic for scaling is important advantage. As Window Vista doesn't have it. Of course they are copying it for Windows Vienna but that likly not to come out for another 5 years.

I have a 24" iMac and sit in front of it like most, but I also get up and lounge about 4 metres away and use it to.

I want to surf the internet, but 10pt fonts are to small at that distance, I use Universal Access Zoom, but It burrs. With Leopard I hope it scales smooth. So you set the document width to 1024 (common web size) and zoom to 1920. a 1.875 scale factor. At the moment Universal Access 50%steps.

Come on people think our places it will be handy.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    gdoggdog Posts: 224member
    i have a 24 inch i mac also. i turned down resolution a couple of notches and the print is bigger on all apps and i prefer it over native resolution. not sure if you like that idea but it works for me.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Once resolution independence is cemented, we'll start seeing ultra-high resolution displays in the same manageable desktop sizes we're used to. It'll be interesting. All the readability hacks like anti-aliasing, ClearType?, etc will become moot, since pixels will be tiny and 'large' font sizes can be used to render all visible text. 2D capabilities of GPUs will start to become important again. I imagine the transition period is going to be a little awkward.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    sthiedesthiede Posts: 307member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kdraper View Post

Once resolution independence is cemented, we'll start seeing ultra-high resolution displays in the same manageable desktop sizes we're used to. It'll be interesting. All the readability hacks like anti-aliasing, ClearType?, etc will become moot, since pixels will be tiny and 'large' font sizes can be used to render all visible text. 2D capabilities of GPUs will start to become important again. I imagine the transition period is going to be a little awkward.

so resolution independance isnt going to be a big deal for computers with current displays? (i.e my macbook)
  • Reply 4 of 8
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sthiede View Post

so resolution independance isnt going to be a big deal for computers with current displays? (i.e my macbook)

Not really.

You won't fit more real estate on the screen without losing detail. It could however be useful if you find the current screens hard to see, to enlarge everything.

Amorya
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Hopefuly a font control panel will be finally introduced in OS X.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    bevosbevos Posts: 59member
    I hope zooming as simple as that with a mighty mouse
  • Reply 7 of 8
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    You can try it out in Tiger right now if you get the Quartz Extreme utility off the Developer Tools.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    If you already have the Developer Tools installed, it is under /Developer/Applications/Performance Tools/Quartz Debug.app