Google edges Apple in worldwide brand survey

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
For a second straight year, Internet search giant Google has muscled past Apple to secure the top spot in a worldwide ranking of most influential brands.

Apple placed second in the survey of 3,625 branding professionals and students commissioned by online branding magazine brandchannel, which asked participants: "Which brand had the most impact on our lives in 2006?".

The iPod maker barely edged YouTube for the runner-up slot, which came in third, followed by Wikipedia and Starbucks.

While Google kept its top global ranking, Apple held on to its number-one spot in North America, according to the survey. YouTube, Google, Starbucks and Wikipedia again rounded out the top five, respectively.

"Though Apple hasn't yet taken credit (or blame) for it, the company is also responsible for the proliferation of products whose names begin with a lowercase i, even if they're not iPod compatible," said brandchannel.

"In kicking off 2007 with the iPhone and Apple TV (and despite those increasingly annoying 'I'm a Mac…I'm a PC' ads), the company, which altered its brand by dropping 'Computer' from its name, will likely be a top contender in next year's poll."

Apple was not amongst the top five brands in survey rankings for Europe & Africa, Latin America, or Asia Pacific.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    Interesting. Hopefully the two top influential brands will join together...and then what they would also have youtube...so it would be the top 3 really. Wow I doubt a merger between 2 (or 3 if you want to look at it that way) of the most influential companies in our world today has happened anytime lately.

Starbucks? How is starbucks influential in anyway? I suppose now I call a large a Venti but thats about it
  • Reply 2 of 40
    josa92josa92 Posts: 193member
    yay Daily show is 8 in us & canada
  • Reply 3 of 40
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    How is Google or Wikipedia able to be labeled as a "brand"? What type of tangible goods do they sell? Google shoes? Wikipedia cereal?
  • Reply 4 of 40
    phizzphizz Posts: 142member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crees! View Post

How is Google or Wikipedia able to be labeled as a "brand"? What type of tangible goods do they sell? Google shoes? Wikipedia cereal?

Oh come on. Google and Wikipedia offer services and information as their goods. Google Search? Google AdWords? Google Analytics? Wikipedia Articles? The list goes on...
  • Reply 5 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crees! View Post

Uhhh... Seeing your use of tangible, let me develop what you said. You are saying that the music you buy off the internet isn't tangible, the games you buy aren't tangible (well, the CDs are, but not the code), the eBooks you buy, the movies you buy. Well, fine, we are getting into many intangibles these days... But, we still call Paramount pictures a brand, if Apple spun off the music store and made a seperate brand for it, we would call that a brand. We call Aspyr a brand, we call LexisNexis a brand. I mean, come on. Just because you can't see or touch what you buy doesn't mean that you aren't buying it.
  • Reply 6 of 40
    Good for Google, good for Apple. Interesting that the only car company that made it among the top 10 was Toyota.
  • Reply 7 of 40
    josa92josa92 Posts: 193member
    because they're taking over and they make good cars...

=D
  • Reply 8 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by josa92 View Post

because they're taking over and they make good cars...

=D

Now if only we can get that revised corolla in the U.S. before the end of this decade. And leather seats isn't just limited to the high end camry that would be good too. Heck you can get leather seats on a ford focus for crying out loud.
  • Reply 9 of 40
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Not sure how that's a brand though?? Obviously they let people put down their own answers instead of having multiple choice...
  • Reply 10 of 40
  • Reply 11 of 40
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shadow Slayer 26 View Post

Starbucks? How is starbucks influential in anyway?

Without Starbucks programmers and engineers for Google and Apple would only be able to work 8 hour shifts. Innovation and progress would go to shit.
  • Reply 12 of 40
    Starbucks = nectar of the Gods ;P
  • Reply 13 of 40
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shadow Slayer 26 View Post

Starbucks? How is starbucks influential in anyway?

When there are so many of them that some of them are across the street from each other, then I'd call it influential.
  • Reply 14 of 40
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    "Apple was not amongst the top five brands in survey rankings for Europe.................."

That's becuase 1. they dont do any TV ads here, besides the very rare iPod ad, and 2. they only have 7 stores here, and they all reside in England. What the heck does one expect with those cold hard facts. England is still the only country in the whole of the European continent with Apple stores. I know they have plans for Paris and Scotland etc., but they are just plans, until they really and truly get off their lazy-when-it-comes-to-Europe asses it'll remain that way.
  • Reply 15 of 40
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Starbucks isn't that hot in canada, I refuse to accept them into the top five!
  • Reply 16 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

"Apple was not amongst the top five brands in survey rankings for Europe.................."

That's becuase 1. they dont do any TV ads here, besides the very rare iPod ad,

sorry to pull you up on that but they DID do an TV ad campaign for the new intel procs in iMacs... (early to mid 2006 i think)

it was last year i agree but this is still only jan 07

plus i could not begin to describe how little commercial TV i watch... and *I* saw the ad at least twice, plus the various iPod ads as you say.

gotta say though we NEED a store! if only to be able to test saliva production with Apple gear IN PERSON

ps was "ENDLAND" a typo
  • Reply 17 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trendannoyer View Post

sorry to pull you up on that but they DID do an TV ad campaign for the new intel procs in iMacs... (early to mid 2006 i think)

Never seen it once on TV here. By the way I got your pm, I just came back from a weeks hols, cheers.
  • Reply 18 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trendannoyer View Post

ps was "ENDLAND" a typo

No it wasn't, that's just how we spell in here.
  • Reply 19 of 40
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

So how are regions weighted in these rankings?

I find it surprising that the "global" listings are the same as the US listings, with a slightly shuffled order, whereas none of the companies from what appears to be pretty much the rest of world make the global top five.
  • Reply 20 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

So how are regions weighted in these rankings?

I find it surprising that the "global" listings are the same as the US listings, with a slightly shuffled order, whereas none of the companies from what appears to be pretty much the rest of world make the global top five.

Well its been said that the U.S. #1 export is it's culture.