AirPort: AirPort Utility 1.0, 802.11n manuals, Core Duo Extreme fix

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple has released a pair of manuals for its forthcoming 802.11n AirPort Extreme Base Station revealing the new AirPort Utility software interface. Meanwhile, the company has also issued an AirPort Extreme update for Core Duo Macs.

AirPort Extreme 802.11n manuals

Ahead of availability of its new 802.11n wireless base station, Apple has posted to its website an "AirPort Extreme (802.11n) Setup Guide" (515KB PDF) and a manual on "Designing AirPort Extreme 802.11n Networks" (1.8MB PDF).

When the AirPort Extreme 802.11n wireless base station begins shipping next month, it will include a new application dubbed AirPort Utility that will replace existing versions of both AirPort Setup Assistant and AirPort Admin Utility.

AirPort Utility will be backwards compatible with Apple's previous generation AirPort Extreme and Express base stations. It will also add new features, such as the ability to monitor all connected clients on the AirPort wireless network -- an essential tool for businesses, schools, and other large wireless environments.

When configuring the new Extreme base station, users can select between "802.11n (802.11b/g compatible)" or "802.11n only (2.4 GHz)" from the software's Radio Mode pop-up menu. Each

client computer will connect to the network and transmit network traffic at its highest speed. (Some screenshots of the new application interface are included below.)

According Apple's official specification list, the new Extreme base station produces radio output power of 20 dBm, up from 15 dBm on previous models. This indicates that users will see a noticeable increase in the range of their wireless networks as the device is indeed putting out a stronger signal.

AirPort Extreme Update 2007-001

Meanwhile, Apple yesterday evening released "AirPort Extreme Update 2007-001" (6.5MB), which is recommended for all Intel-based Macintosh computers and provides compatibility with AirPort Extreme base stations and networks.

Specifically, Apple said the update patches a vulnerability where attackers on the wireless network could cause system crashes on Core Duo version of the Mac mini, MacBook, and MacBook Pro. Other systems, including the Core 2 Duo versions are not affected.

"An out-of-bounds memory read may occur while handling wireless frames," the company said. "An attacker in local proximity may be able to trigger a system crash by sending a maliciously-crafted frame to an affected system.

AirPort Extreme Update 2007-001 addresses the issue by performing additional validation of wireless frames, Apple added.

AirPort Utility 1.0 screenshots

Comments

• Reply 1 of 80
    mmm pretty pictures...
  • Reply 2 of 80
    josa92josa92 Posts: 193member
    looks like fun
  • Reply 3 of 80
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    love the configuration.

hate the 10/100 ports. bah humbuggery. gimme gigabit.
  • Reply 4 of 80
    tomkarltomkarl Posts: 239member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

love the configuration.

hate the 10/100 ports. bah humbuggery. gimme gigabit.

I'm by no means a network engineer, but other than moving files around within your home network, why would one need gigibit?

In my case, I have DSL. The speed of the dsl is no where near gigabit, so what would 1000/base T ports gain me? If nothing can enter or leave the network any faster than the speed of my dsl I don't see this as an issue.

I'm hoping that since the documents are going up on their website and that earlier rumor of the new base's shipping this month, that mine will be here soon.
  • Reply 5 of 80
    ringoringo Posts: 329member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tomkarl View Post

I'm by no means a network engineer, but other than moving files around within your home network, why would one need gigibit?

That's precisely it.
  • Reply 6 of 80
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ringo View Post

That's precisely it.

absolutely it. i'm pushing 20gb files around, 10/100 is pathetic. 1000 is the key.
  • Reply 7 of 80
    True, gigabit would be nice. But seriously, if you're setting up a network where you're pushing around 20GB of files over ethernet, this isn't the router you're going to buy anyway.

If you want to use time machine to backup your laptop wirelessly to the USB hard drive attatched to the router, this one's for you.

I do wish it had 2 USB ports though. I'd like to have my printer and an external drive on it... and I doubt a hub is going to work well, but it might. I wonder if Apple will make a matching USB hard drive so it can "stack?"
  • Reply 8 of 80
    Quote:

I'm sure it would make streaming content from your computer to your Apple TV a lot more reliable. That was my first thought when both were introduced at MacWorld.
  • Reply 9 of 80
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

absolutely it. i'm pushing 20gb files around, 10/100 is pathetic. 1000 is the key.

While i'm personally disappointed that Apple decided NOT to go with gigabit ethernet (after all, all my macs have it built in), i use firewire to push big files around the network. It's not a dealbreaker for me, but i'm hoping for a revision 2 box that will address this. It always strikes me as odd when Apple does these seemingly half-measured things. I'm certainly happy to have more than one ethernet ports on the new airport. i'm also curious if we are gonna see a 'power over ethernet' version of it.
  • Reply 10 of 80
    ringoringo Posts: 329member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MoonShadow View Post

I do wish it had 2 USB ports though. I'd like to have my printer and an external drive on it... and I doubt a hub is going to work well, but it might. I wonder if Apple will make a matching USB hard drive so it can "stack?"

A hub should work fine. In my experience USB 2 has been much more reliable that USB 1.1, especially when hubs are involved. Even if it did have two ports, there's no way Apple would put two separate USB busses in a low-margin product. It would be nice if only to save the cost of the hub.
  • Reply 11 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iBrad View Post

I'm sure it would make streaming content from your computer to your Apple TV a lot more reliable. That was my first thought when both were introduced at MacWorld.

eh? Gigabit/Megabit doesn't have anything to do with a wireless connection to AppleTV.
  • Reply 12 of 80
    jce10jce10 Posts: 36member
    Quote:

In my case, I have DSL. The speed of the dsl is no where near gigabit, so what would 1000/base T ports gain me? If nothing can enter or leave the network any faster than the speed of my dsl I don't see this as an issue.

In that case, we wouldn't need 802.11n speed either, would we? 802.11g can handle current broadband speed just fine. The "but my DSL can't keep up" argument applies to the wireless side too.

If I upgrade my current 11g access point to 11n, I want faster Ethernet speed too. If wired speed is slower than wireless speed, then it might as well forgo the Ethernet ports.
  • Reply 13 of 80
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

True, gigabit would be nice. But seriously, if you're setting up a network where you're pushing around 20GB of files over ethernet, this isn't the router you're going to buy anyway.

If you want to use time machine to backup your laptop wirelessly to the USB hard drive attatched to the router, this one's for you.

Your right. This isn't the router I am going to buy. It will be a linksys because they have gigabit ports.

At home I push 5 - 25 GB across my network everynight at 2 and 5 am. System backups to a ethernet HDD SATA will be the next big thing with Apple's big backup program coming out with Leopard.

Let's all get a grip on reality and admit Apple screwed up on this one. It should have been gigabit. Especially for the price they want.
  • Reply 14 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

Your right. This isn't the router I am going to buy. It will be a linksys because they have gigabit ports.

At home I push 5 - 25 GB across my network everynight at 2 and 5 am. System backups to a ethernet HDD SATA will be the next big thing with Apple's big backup program coming out with Leopard.

Let's all get a grip on reality and admit Apple screwed up on this one. It should have been gigabit. Especially for the price they want.

Oh, haven't you guessed it by now? It has gigabit Ethernet hardware inside... You'll just have to buy a firmware update to enable the unannounced feature!
  • Reply 15 of 80
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lfmorrison View Post

Oh, haven't you guessed it by now? It has gigabit Ethernet hardware inside... You'll just have to buy a firmware update to enable the unannounced feature!

That was pretty funny. I somehow think you may be right.
  • Reply 16 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

I think you missed my point. You probably wouldn't buy a wireless router for transfering data over a wire.

In fact, the only gigabit Wireless-N router that Linkys makes that I'm aware of is their gaming unit, which is still $179.99 on amazon, and doesn't offer a USB port.
  • Reply 17 of 80
    am i missing somethin or is this not available for ppc??!! is this the start of apple cutting off the g4/g5 hardware?
  • Reply 18 of 80
    make sure to give feedback here as soon as it is available.... make sure apple knows you want gigabit ethernet

http://www.apple.com/feedback/

it's a dealbreaker for me too

(don't forget to request FLAC support in iTunes and on the iPod while you're at it too)
  • Reply 19 of 80
    How long do you think it will be before someone develops a firmware hack to enable the 802.11n functionality for free?
  • Reply 20 of 80
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Who said the Internet is the reason to get gigE? Keep all files on one computer, use them from any other computer on the local network. Why standardize with gigE on all your computers when your own networking products don't take advantage of it?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

While i'm personally disappointed that Apple decided NOT to go with gigabit ethernet (after all, all my macs have it built in), i use firewire to push big files around the network. It's not a dealbreaker for me, but i'm hoping for a revision 2 box that will address this. It always strikes me as odd when Apple does these seemingly half-measured things. I'm certainly happy to have more than one ethernet ports on the new airport. i'm also curious if we are gonna see a 'power over ethernet' version of it.

How long are your Firewire cables?

With PoE, then there's a decent reason to not have gigE, I think they are incompatible with each other. I don't think it's there though.

Quote:

There are consumer devices that have gigE, it's not so special that it requires a managed switch. Just pushing around EyeTV recordings around can involve 20GB files.