Macbook vs. Macbook Pro: External Display and Photoshop

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
So, I'm in the market for a new notebook and I'm trying to decide between a Macbook and Macbook Pro. For reference, I'm a UI designer/developer.

I typically work with an external 20" display. The only intensive graphics work I do is Photoshop. No gaming, no video.

Basically I'm wondering if I will see any difference between MB and MBP in Photoshop, specifically when driving a largish external display. I may be upgrading to a 23-24" display soon, so that should be considered as well.

Anyone with this experience?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Photoshop needs a lot of ram and the ram that the macbook video card eats up system ram.

also a real video card is better for big displays.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon View Post

Photoshop needs a lot of ram and the ram that the macbook video card eats up system ram.

also a real video card is better for big displays.

The MacBook is good for up to a 20" external screen (1600*1200). With the larger 23/24" displays, a little lag in screen responsiveness is noticeable. You probably better get the MacBook Pro if you want to use a large screen in the future.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Get the Pro. Cuz it's just cooler.

In addition to what's been said, I've come to the conclusion that it's a better choice for the long-run. If you're disigning, anyway.

Good luck with everything. (:
  • Reply 4 of 5
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    From my testing, the MacBook simply can't push a large external display for more than 24 hours at a time. If you rebooted daily it may be OK. YMMV.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    MacBookPro Core2Duo is the way to go. Go for the 2.33ghz with 256mb of VRAM. As a UI designer, you must be aware that the MacBookPro matte screens are somewhat not quite right - they can appear to be grainy and unevenly lit. But given that you will be using an external screen, then this will be fine. The MacBookPro Core2Duo will generally be quieter than the MacBook Core2Duo especially for the time you are running Rosetta Photoshop CS/CS2 (remember to get 2gb RAM in the MacBookPro) ... due to larger size, aluminium casing and having 2 fans instead of a [louder] 1 fan in the MacBook.

All the best with the pixel pushing. I used to be able to do it, now my eyes can't handle the strain...