network question

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
i currently have i mac hardwired to airport extreme base station. base is 10/100 Lan. imac is 10/100/1000 Lan. my connection is at 14.50 Mbps (verizon fios). so my question is does the base station slow down my hard wire connection? ie: if max rate on base is 100Mbps and my internet is at 14.5 Mbps, the base station would not be a bottle neck - correct?

i was wondering if i should get a 5 port gig ethernet switcher (netgear) and plug my imac to it and then the base station to another port on switcher for my wireless network. that way the imac is connected from ethernet to a 10/100/1000 Lan switcher. would this speed up imac connection? would it slow down my wireless connection (wireless would be ethernet to switcher to extreme base).

i have 2 or three laptops wireless and 2 macs wired sometimes 3 macs on line at once in different parts of house. i am trying to optimize wired and wireless speeds.

any takers?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    As far as your internet speed is concerned wireless will not be a problem. If you want to network multiple Macs wires will be a faster solution.