Problem with default browser in OS X

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Today I decided to try Chimera out again, and it's better than last time I tried it. But the only way I was able to get it to work right was by deleting all my other browsers. First IE was set as the default, and when I changed it to something else, it kept reverting to IE anyway. So I deleted IE (no big loss). Then it selected only Mozilla, even if I changed it. So I deleted Mozilla. Then it kept selecting Netscape. Again, down the tubes. Finally, there was only Chimera left so it had to choose it. BTW, this only happened AFTER I decided (in my infinite wisdom ) to install IE. Before yesterday, my only browsers were Mozilla and Netscape 7, and I could reliably switch between them.

Any idea why this is happening? Now that IE is gone, will it stop?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    I am having the exacty same problem as you. I too installed IE 5.2.2 when it came out, and now I have neither IE (no loss) nor Mozilla (annoying since I have to use it for my CS class). Anyone have any ideas?

Blueflame
  • Reply 2 of 4
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    It's too bad I lost Mozilla/Netscape as well. I need a browser that allows popup windows in order to take online quizzes for my chemistry class (it sounds like you have a similar thing going). I did notice that although Netscape, Mozilla, IE, and Chimera are in the menu, iCab didn't show up in the menu. It's less than ideal, but it still works fine for what I use it for (which is about twenty minutes to an hour, once a week).

Now that I've deleted IE and everything, I'm gonna try downloading Netscape again and seeing if it works right this time.

EDIT: I just downloaded Netscape again and now it's not a really big problem... it is funny though. To test it out, I selected Netscape as my default browser and I quit the system prefs, then I went back to the system prefs, and it had reverted back to Chimera. I mean, that's how I want it to be, but it's funny that it still doesn't work the way it should. Hopefully Apple will fix this problem in 10.2.2. It shouldn't be too difficult.

EDIT #2: Now it's reverted back to Netscape 7, probably because I just downloaded the latest build of Chimera to replace the current one. Looks like it's trash time for Netscape again.

[ 10-28-2002: Message edited by: Luca Rescigno ]

[ 10-28-2002: Message edited by: Luca Rescigno ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 4
    It appears as if System Preferences wants to impose some sort of hierarchy to my web browsers. If I have IE on my system, it will always open clicked links (like in e-mails) in IE. If I get rid of IE, it uses Mozilla. If I get rid of Mozilla it finally picks Chimera, even though I specifically select Chimera in each case as the default browser. Only in the last case will it do what I want...so frustrating. I don't really NEED Mozilla since I can use it by ssh'ing into the servers here at Berkeley and running the browser remotely. However I would like to keep either Netscape or IE on my system since some websites I go to only work with either of those browsers. Did you notice anything like this with the older version of IE? I don't remember having this problem before I updated to IE 5.2.2. Perhaps that has something to do with our problem? (hints at microsoft somehow sabotaging the pref pane...nah, they'd never do something like that... )

Blueflame
  • Reply 4 of 4
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    See <a href="http://www.eternaltedium.com/cgi-bin/chimeraboard/ikonboard.cgi?s=3dbe94fc1860ffff;act=ST;f=1;t=150"; target="_blank">this thread</a> on the Chimera Board for instructions on how to set Chimera (or another browser) as your default. Basically, you need to remove the two files below and restart. Then your browser of choice should stick.

~/Library/Caches/com.apple.LaunchServices.UserCache.csstore

and

/Library/Caches/com.apple.LaunchServices.LocalCache.csstore

To remove the latter, you will need admin privileges. The easiest way to get rid of it is in the Terminal. Type:

sudo rm /Library/Caches/com.apple.LaunchServices.LocalCache.csstore

(it will ask for your password)

Escher