Leopard, short cut folders

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
When you open the Finder in Tiger, you can see shortcuts to "Movies", "Music", "Photos" and so forth. Which is silly, because those folders contains an iPhoto/iTunes filestructure. They're not functional anymore; who browses through an iPhoto folder structure anyway?

My guess is that those folders, in Leopard, will actually perform a SpotLight query, such as: "kind=movies" or something. Another folder perhaps would be named "media" and simply does a "kind=movies OR kind=music OR kind=photo ..." query. iLife will not use a folder structure anymore and will totally rely on Spotlight.

I think the new Finder will be a generic iTunes interface: smart folders in the left navigation pane, content on the right.

I also expect time machine will be embedded in the Finder and file dialogs. Imagine a right-click action labeled "show history", or a button on top of the Finder. This would change the view to a "timemachine view". You then can sort the history ASC or DESC by clicking the version/date column. You choose "bring back" to get the old version back. Also with a selection of files.

Just some brainstorming here...your turn!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dacloo View Post

When you open the Finder in Tiger, you can see shortcuts to "Movies", "Music", "Photos" and so forth. Which is silly, because those folders contains an iPhoto/iTunes filestructure. They're not functional anymore; who browses through an iPhoto folder structure anyway?

Not everyone uses iphoto etc. My brother keeps normal photos in the photos folder and his movie clips in the movies folder. The reason is because he uses Front Row and it uses those shortcuts. I never use any of those shortcuts though because I don't use Front Row and I keep nothing of importance in my home folder.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    bevosbevos Posts: 59member
    You can put smart folders on the navigation pane now, just drag them there. If you dont like the default drag them off to delete them.

What would be useful is showing in save/open dialog the path of a file when you search or use smart folders.

Or click on the file and save over it when in smart folders search.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    I think a better solution would be to just offer a media browser button users can place in the Finder's toolbar. iWork offers this as well as a few other Apple applications. Useful for browsing through your iPhoto, iTunes, and movies without having to open any additional applications.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Photos means all photos; the "iPhoto" folder is WITHIN that main Photos folder.

Using a Smart Folder for all photos would not maintain the hierarchy.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    There's a new media button in Open dialogs in leopard, along with three butttons at the top to choose your media:

http://gizmodo.com/photogallery/leop...dsshots/832491

I expect the finder will get this as well. Strangely the music/movies/pictures folders are still there.