switching questions

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I've been having fun reading the many informative threads on this forum on questions of switching from PC to Mac...And I've got a few lingering questions.

've been using a Compaq Presario laptop for the past 5-6 years, I've had various PCs at work for the past 18 years. Perhaps it goes without saying, but I'm of the breed that uses the machine until it's obsolete or broken in some way I can no longer justify tolerating. Mainly, I use the computer for statistical analysis, word processing, and using web-based data bases, journals, and libraries. With my next computer, I will probably (hopefully) get more involved in music, photographs, dvds, although most of that is hypothetical at the moment, since my current machine can't handle it.

So, now that I'm ready for a new laptop, I'm thinking about switching to a Macbook (vs. HP dv6000t). I'm pursuaded by friends who love the Mac OS, and I'm tired of random shut downs and various hardware problems... But, I'm worried about 2 things:

(1) Will it be worth the added expense of having to buy a Mac OS version of my statistical analysis program? (It looks like it'll cost about $1,100, whether I stick with SPSS or switch to SAS)... and

(2) Will it be easy to transfer files (word/powerpoint/data) between home (Mac) and work (PC) via USB flash drive on a daily basis?

Thanks,

Switchy

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Not sure, but I found your username kind of funny.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    1) No. Buy a copy of XP and a download Parallels, instead. Run your PC copy of your software on your Mac desktop.

2) Yes, assuming you install Office for Mac.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by switchy View Post

I've been having fun reading the many informative threads on this forum on questions of switching from PC to Mac...And I've got a few lingering questions.

<Snip>

(1) Will it be worth the added expense of having to buy a Mac OS version of my statistical analysis program? (It looks like it'll cost about $1,100, whether I stick with SPSS or switch to SAS)... and

(2) Will it be easy to transfer files (word/powerpoint/data) between home (Mac) and work (PC) via USB flash drive on a daily basis?

Thanks,

Switchy

1. If you're current version of SPSS works with XP, and it does the job, install and run XP (or whatever version of Windows you have) via Bootcamp & Parallels on your MacBook

2. Word/Powerpoint/Excel data transfers just fine to the Apple version of Office. USB drives or CDs is ok. You might just prefer Keynote however, to Powerpoint.

Whilst Macs are fine for office work, they're also fun for making audio CDs & videos, and I think you'll get a lot of enjoyment out of you're to-be purchase if you go Mac. How many people can claim they actually enjoy using Windows?

Regards

Santa
  • Reply 4 of 9
    As Santa said, I would definitely recommend Keynote. It's far superior to Powerpoint, and if you ever need to (which it sounds like you will), you can always open Powerpoint presentations in Keynote and export Keynote presentations to Powerpoint.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Hi,

thanks for those ideas! i guess i realized from reading other threads that the parallels/bootcamp method allows one to run windows os, but i didn't get that it also enables use of spss and perhaps other windows-compatible software. that'll save a bundle. and i'll look into Keynote, but meanwhile i'm relieved that my daily transfer of files between pc and mac won't be cumbersome.

this raises one more question: will running mac and pc software simultaneously with parallels require more ram (or other configuration specs) than I'd otherwise need?

...feeling even more switchy
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:

Hi,

..., but meanwhile i'm relieved that my daily transfer of files between pc and mac won't be cumbersome.

this raises one more question: will running mac and pc software simultaneously with parallels require more ram (or other configuration specs) than I'd otherwise need?

...feeling even more switchy

Transfers translate flawless.

It requires a lot of ram. The more you get the more you experience

a smooth switch between the two OSes

How did you come up with that nice Nickname?
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Thanks for the reply, Vox Barbara. Folks on this forum have been great. I'm beginning to feel that switching over is all going to be ok.

I think I'll be going to the Apple Store thursday for a face-to-face. This is exciting. but now i'm feeling a bit unfaithful to my old pc...though i should remind myself, that neither it nor its predecessors have shown much conscience about failing me in times of need. and while it still does work, it doesn't want to play. perhaps i'll still keep on a small light in the kitchen, anyway. so i guess that's partly where i got "that nice Nickname": something about the mixture of bravado and nervousness, as if going out again after a long celibacy.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Thanks for the reply, Vox Barbara. Folks on this forum have been great. I'm beginning to feel that switching over is all going to be ok.

I think I'll be going to the Apple Store thursday for a face-to-face. This is exciting. but now i'm feeling a bit unfaithful to my old pc...though i should remind myself, that neither it nor its predecessors have shown much conscience about failing me in times of need. and while it still does work, it doesn't want to play. perhaps i'll still keep on a small light in the kitchen, anyway. so i guess that's partly where i got "that nice Nickname": something about the mixture of bravado and nervousness, as if going out again after a long celibacy.

What a charming post. You clearly have been a Mac user all along, and just got misinformed somewhere along the way.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

What a charming post. You clearly have been a Mac user all along, and just got misinformed somewhere along the way.

That particular thinking is very smart. I think he was just looking

for the right moment to reveal his heart. Switchy don't get edgy,

soon you become a part.

Just off top of my head...