Microsoft Access for the Mac

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Anyone have any idea about this? I need to do a few assignments for a computers in management class... I'd like to be able to do them from my dorm instead of going down to the library...

what are my options...

thanks

-Paul

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    The worst database in recorded history is not available for the Mac (excuse my editorializing ). The last I heard from Microsoft, it will never be available for the Mac. In fact, the last I heard from Microsoft, they were delicately trying to downplay it on Windows, and mulling the possibility of dropping it from Office altogether.

If your projects actually require programming Access (*shudder*) rather than simply assembling a database (in which case mySQL would do OK) then you'll have to use a PC - real or virtual.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    well what if i ahve a access database... how would i look through it w/o opening up access.. is this possible?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Technically, yes. BBEdit will open anything in a pinch.

However, if you mean opening the database in some form that actually looks like a database, I'm not aware of any way to do it. FileMaker Pro will cheerfully connect to Access through ODBC across a network, but that's the only thing I could find that comes close to what you need.

Sorry.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    <a href="http://www.mysql.com/portal/software/html/software_comments-98.html"; target="_blank">This</a> might help. It's not ideal, I know, but it would work. I swear that there are some freeware command line things that you can install on OS X to supplement your mysql installation for this purpose, but I can't find them right now.