much needed itunes feature

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
this is something which i really hope comes in the near future - say i search a track using spotlight or itunes search, but then decide i want to listen to another tune by the same artist or on the same album, there's no easy way to search those out. i should be able to click on the album name or artist name and have those become the search criteria so i can select the next track i want.

as far as i can see there's no easy way to do this without typing manually (or is there?) and i often want to. would be great if this came in the future!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Select the song. Click one of the arrows that appear next to the information in the song's entry.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

Select the song. Click one of the arrows that appear next to the information in the song's entry.

I turned that feature off a long time ago, but last I knew that only went to the iTunes store, not the user's own music.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Option-click on it to go within your own library.

Also, I have it set to that by default, and I *thought* it was in the std iTunes prefs, but maybe it was through a defaults setting.

Ah, there we go.

1) Quit iTunes

2) Open a Terminal window, and enter:

defaults write com.apple.itunes invertStoreLinks 1

3) Launch iTunes

Now clicking on those arrows will search within your own library. Option-click to search on iTunes Store.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

Option-click on it to go within your own library.

Also, I have it set to that by default, and I *thought* it was in the std iTunes prefs, but maybe it was through a defaults setting.

Ah, there we go.

1) Quit iTunes

2) Open a Terminal window, and enter:

defaults write com.apple.itunes invertStoreLinks 1

3) Launch iTunes

Now clicking on those arrows will search within your own library. Option-click to search on iTunes Store.

well stone me!

of course i was aware of the itunes store links feature, but i had no idea it could be used with your own library. the set to default tip is first rate! many thanks for that, i'll be using it often from now on!