Briefly: Apple web ranking; Dell CEO out; Zune exec gone too

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple has jumped two spots in one firm's Web property rankings. Meanwhile, Michael Dell is back at the helm of the company he founded 27 years ago. And over in Redmond, a Zune honcho has tossed in the towel.

Apple secures 11th spot in Web rankings

The number of unique visitors to Apple Inc's web sites continued to swell during the month of December, edging the iPod maker up two more spots in a worldwide ranking of top web properties.

According to data released Wednesday by comScore, the Cupertino-based company saw more than 111 million visitors to its websites during the December holiday month, good enough to make it the web's 11th most trafficked property. That's up from 13th place the previous year.

Rollins gone, Dell back in

Dell said Wednesday that founder Michael Dell will assume the duties of Chief Executive Officer, effective immediately, replacing Kevin Rollins, who also stepped down from the company's board.

The No. 2 PC manufacturer in the same statement said it expects fourth-quarter fiscal 2007 results to miss estimates for both revenue and earnings per share.

"Dell has tremendous opportunities ahead of it," said Mr. Dell. "I am enthusiastic about Dell 2.0, which includes our plan to provide the best customer experience, build a strong global services business and ensure our products deliver the best long-term customer value."

Top Zune exec to pursue other interests

Meanwhile, a senior Microsoft executive who oversaw the launch of Zune plans to leave the company, the Associated Press is reporting.

Bryan Lee, corporate vice president at Microsoft's entertainment and devices division, will reportedly severe ties with the Redmond-based software giant sometime in the next several weeks in order to "pursue personal interests."

Lee is a key deputy of Robbie Bach, head of Microsoft's entertainment and device division. He'll be replaced by J Allard, one of the early Xbox leaders.

Microsoft still hopes to sell its millionth Zune by the end of June.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 59
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Woot! 1st post. ...I'll make some sensible comments sooon.... I swear! First Post !!!111!!!! w0000t!
  • Reply 2 of 59
    dm3dm3 Posts: 168member
    I wonder if Bryan Lee is leaving because of the resounding success of Zune.
  • Reply 3 of 59
    wallywally Posts: 211member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Microsoft still hopes to sell its millionth Zune by the end of June.

Yeah, good luck with that.
  • Reply 4 of 59
    Microsoft hasn't sold a million of those plastic turds yet?

The inertia of iPod users' growing libraries of Apple DRM'd content is going to make it more and more difficult with each passing day for anyone to challenge Apple's dominance. I mean, if Microsoft can't do it...
  • Reply 5 of 59
    All the best, Bryan. I don't player hate, I hate the *game* not the player. At best, to use a favourite quote of mine, thou were rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic. At worst, thou were receiveth up the arse from Steve "Squirter" Ballmer.

In quite repose, shall we reflect on some favourite moments and quotes:

The Zune's 1 million figure "is spot on with where we thought we'd be," said Bryan Lee, corporate vice president of Microsoft's entertainment group. "Apple is the market leader. We didn't expect to beat them this holiday, but we wanted to be relevant and we wanted a chance to grow. I think we are on plan...Over time, the market share will sort itself out".

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...UGETMQNHR1.DTL

Zune owners can share songs with each other but the music only lasts for three days or three plays and that restriction is present regardless of whether the song is copyrighted. But there is a meeting scheduled soon between the music industry and Microsoft to review these restrictions according to the Houston Chronicle. "We're looking for the sweet spot" between content restrictions and consumer convenience, Microsoft VP Bryan Lee said. He also said that other Zune Wi-Fi applications are in development.

http://hypebot.typepad.com/hypebot/2...oft_to_me.html

In an article in today's New York Times, Microsoft's VP of Entertainment and Devices Bryan Lee is asked about the missing Internet download feature: "Would the Zune ever be able to connect to the Internet? Could someone walk into a Starbucks and use the connection there to download a song? Mr. Lee answered without hesitation: 'Probably, one day.'"

http://db.tidbits.com/article/8750

Microsoft revealed they intend to sell 1 million Zunes and 15 million XBOX 360's by June 30 and they are currently on track to reach that number. Bryan Lee, vice-president of entertainment business indicated "It's totally in line with our expectations".

From a truly tragic Zune propaganda site.
    http://www.zunescene.com/
  • Reply 6 of 59
    All into perspective. That is, WHAT THE F**K IS/WAS THIS ZUNE THING ABOUT ANYWAY????
  • Reply 7 of 59
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Porchland View Post

Microsoft hasn't sold a million of those plastic turds yet?

The inertia of iPod users' growing libraries of Apple DRM'd content is going to make it more and more difficult with each passing day for anyone to challenge Apple's dominance. I mean, if Microsoft can't do it...

I'm sure all senior Microsoft management will be asked to buy a hundred thousand each over the next few months
  • Reply 8 of 59
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    What no schadenfreude over the karmic decline of Mr. Kevin 'Liquidate-Apple-and-give-back-the-money-to-the-shareholdrs' Rollins?
  • Reply 9 of 59
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    What is this 'Zune' of which you speak?
  • Reply 10 of 59
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Whenever I see 'Ballmer' and 'Squirt' in the same sentence I just double-up and fall on the floor. You couldn't make this shit up.
  • Reply 11 of 59
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Oh God, Michael Dell is talking about "Dell 2.0". They are completely doomed.
  • Reply 12 of 59
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Or at least "beleaguered" 8)
  • Reply 13 of 59
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

What no schadenfreude over the karmic decline of Mr. Kevin 'Liquidate-Apple-and-give-back-the-money-to-the-shareholdrs' Rollins?

Wasn't it Dell himself who gave that advice to Jobs?
  • Reply 14 of 59
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Wasn't it Dell himself who gave that advice to Jobs?

Yes.

http://news.com.com/Dell+Apple+shoul..._3-203937.html
  • Reply 15 of 59
    Quote:

Bryan Lee, corporate vice president at Microsoft's entertainment and devices division, will reportedly severe ties with the Redmond-based software giant sometime in the next several weeks in order to "pursue personal interests."

I guess one of his interests will be trying to find another employer.
  • Reply 16 of 59
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:

LOL. I wonder if Michael Dell put any ketchup on the crow he's had to eat over that one.

• Reply 17 of 59
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

LOL. I wonder if Michael Dell put any ketchup on the crow he's had to eat over that one.

I dunno - it sounds like the sort of thing you'd say when you're trying to be helpful

(helping yourself, I mean.)
  • Reply 18 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

Heh.
  • Reply 19 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Dell 2.0 = Even thinner profit margins due to extra R&D, product design and marketing to bring teh sexyback to Dell.
  • Reply 20 of 59
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman View Post

Dell 2.0 = Even thinner profit margins due to extra R&D, product design and marketing to bring teh sexyback to Dell.

Sexyback, sexybak - I'll give you sexyback, punk.

http://www.dell.com/content/products...=19&l=en&s=dhs

No cracks about the stabilisers either !

dirty mike.