Extremes enroute to Apple stores; Apple TV to follow

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple today began shipping the first batches of its new 802.11n wireless router to customers and will soon have them in stores. Meanwhile, the company's equally boxy Apple TV is due just a few weeks later, AppleInsider has learned.

People acquainted with Apple's supply chain said that the Cupertino-based firm began shipments of the $179 Airport Extreme ahead of its self-imposed February schedule and that the network device should start turning up in select Apple retail stores soon as tomorrow.

Display models and advertising are expected to make their way into virtually every store by the end of the week.

Those who ordered from the company, however, may face a more interminable wait. While some Extremes will be shipping at the same time as Apple's retail deliveries, checks with the online store have revealed that others are not scheduled to leave the company's manufacturing facilities until mid-month.

The Apple TV won't be far behind, those same people report. In-store window displays promoting the networked media hub are currently due around February 19th, with actual hardware following later in the same week.

The updated Airport Extreme has garnered both positive word-of-mouth and controversy since its under-the-radar announcement at this month's Macworld San Francisco expo. It earned kudos for both its improved 802.11n Wi-Fi speed (which delivers nearly 5X the maximum speed of its UFO-shaped forefather) and the new AirDisk feature, which shares one or more USB hard disks with everyone on the network regardless of platform.

However, it also received a healthy share of flak thanks to its creator's policy: after confirming that every Core 2 Duo system shipped since late 2006 would support the faster Wi-Fi speeds of the new router, Apple startled more than a few by promising free updates for those select Macs only if they bought Apple's network base station, charging $2 for users content to use third-party routers. The fee was set in place by Apple under the pretext that the Sarbannes-Oxley Act forced the company to charge existing owners for unlocking a hidden feature.

Response to the Apple TV has been less ambiguous, as the Mac mini-shaped device has seen strong pre-sales through Apple's online store. The streaming media center will offer iTunes Store customers the means to play their music and videos directly on newer TV models and will even auto-sync with a specific Mac or PC, caching local content on a 40GB hard drive for offline use.

Much like the Airport Extreme, the Apple TV includes the option of 802.11n wireless for connecting to a local network.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 71
    If sales have actually been strong for AppleTV, color me surprised.
  • Reply 2 of 71
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Don't forget about the flak from not have gigabit ports.
  • Reply 3 of 71
    I just received a notice from Apple that my order for 2 AE have shipped! I ordered them about a week after they were released.
  • Reply 4 of 71
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Apple TV might be a lemon, but I'm still intrigued. I'm still trying to talk my wife into letting me add one to our new HD setup, even though it doesn't (currently) support 1080pXX.

I like the idea of being able to watch diggnation and other podcasts and hear my music in the living room through the entertainment system easily. Sure, I can download and pump them through my 5g iPod, but its just not 'convenient'. The big Apple TV is really just an iPod (with disabled features like play games, why can't I play my $4.99 texas hold'em game on it, dammit)...but it does have N wireless, which I like....
  • Reply 5 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"...the Cupertino-based firm..."

... the Cupertino-based iPod maker... ...the Cupertino-based Mac maker... ...the Cupertino-based company... will someone please change the tune!

And have you noticed, at AppleInsider, Microsoft is always "the Redmond-based software giant..." ? Well, thanks for the constant reminder, I might have forgotten just who Microsoft are...

Whatever happened to creative writing?
  • Reply 6 of 71
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TinyIslander View Post

... the Cupertino-based iPod maker... ...the Cupertino-based Mac maker... ...the Cupertino-based company... will someone please change the tune!

And have you noticed, at AppleInsider, Microsoft is always "the Redmond-based software giant..." ? Well, thanks for the constant reminder, I might have forgotten just who Microsoft are...

In other news, the iPod company, Apple Inc, has ....
  • Reply 7 of 71
    k.c.k.c. Posts: 60member
    Quote:

Too much coffee today ?

Personally I don't come here for creative writing.
  • Reply 8 of 71
    Quote:

What ever happened to grammatically correct typing? 'I might have forgotten just who Microsoft are..." try, please, 'I might have forgotten just who Microsoft is...'
  • Reply 9 of 71
    Ah yes the collective noun.
  • Reply 10 of 71
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I just hope the Superbowl ad(s?) won't just focus on the AppleTv, and the iPhone, assuming they mention the phone at all.

I'd like to see some new product. This is the first Macworld where we had almost nothing from Apple.
  • Reply 11 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by damiansipko View Post

What ever happened to gramatically correct typing? 'I might have forgotten just who Microsoft are..." try, please, 'I might have forgotten just who Microsoft is...'

That's the way they write in England. "Apple are", rather than "Apple is".

"I'm going to hospital", rather than "I'm going to the hospital, etc".
  • Reply 12 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

What do you expect from people who drive on the wrong side of the road ?
  • Reply 13 of 71
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

Don't forget about the flak from not have gigabit ports.

Instead of "flak", it's more like "squirts" from obsessive geeks.
  • Reply 14 of 71
    Quote:

I swear British English (The Queen's Colonial Best) calls for "Apple is an extraordinary company" and "I am going to the hospital"... It's all those riff-raff in Britain that have fracked things up, if what you are saying is true. The Queen's Colonial Best also calls for "I will be writing to Apple to complain" rather than the US version of "I will be writing Apple to complain".
  • Reply 15 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by K.C. View Post

What do you expect from people who drive on the wrong side of the road ?

and came up with the language in the first place
  • Reply 16 of 71
    Just in: AirportExtremes and AppleTVs will start showing up in Australia sometime in July 2007.... Nah, just mucking around. We'll probably see stock in 2 weeks. AppleStore Online Australia is saying "Estimated Ship: 3-4 weeks".

I don't know how well AppleTV will do here, AFAIK the only iTunes Store content would be music and music videos. Other than that, podcasts, I guess. For the more adventurous there'll be other iPod-converted content, and maybe Elgato/Miglia TV-recorded stuff. Or maybe home movies from iMovieHD synced into iTunes/AppleTV.
  • Reply 17 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman View Post

I swear British English (The Queen's Colonial Best) calls for "Apple is an extraordinary company" and "I am going to the hospital"... It's all those riff-raff in Britain that have fracked things up, if what you are saying is true. The Queen's Colonial Best also calls for "I will be writing to Apple to complain" rather than the US version of "I will be writing Apple to complain".

Well, what I said is right. If you watch the BBC you will see for yourself. They refer to companies, and institutions in the plural. Peerhaps that's not technically correct over there, but it's how it's spoken, and usually written.
  • Reply 18 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trendannoyer View Post

and came up with the language in the first place

Or not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origin_of_language
  • Reply 19 of 71
    Quote:

Well, what I said is right. If you watch the BBC you will see for yourself. They refer to companies, and institutions in the plural. Peerhaps that's not technically correct over there, but it's how it's spoken, and usually written.

Well, if it's the BBC, then it's high-quality British standard. Seriously. The BBC don't mess around. Or is that "doesn't mess around"....??! I guess the British English I learnt growing up truly *was* "colonial", looks like the Brits moved on with the evolution of their language. Bugger.

Meh. Maybe I'll get my act together and learn Spanish, Hindi and Mandarin, not necessarily in that order. I swear it's more important to be multi-lingual in these languages: English, Spanish (mainland or Central/SouthAmerica/Mexico/USA), Hindi, and Mandarin(Simplified China Standard) - than to be super-good in just English or a *single* language.
  • Reply 20 of 71
    I have an older first gen Intel Core Duo iMac 17". I know it won't have the wireless n built in but what about any new Airport Cards to upgrade my old system. Why have we not heard about this. I mean I have a great machine and it is all enclosed and everything that is not enclosed is either wireless or connected through the network wireless. So please Apple start talking about the new Airport Express Card to upgrade older iMac's, Macbooks, iBooks, MacBook Pro's and PowerBooks. Please Please Please don't leave us with third party external devices to get the 802.11n standard. This would be very un-Apple.