Buy a Macbook pro on Ebay??

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hello all. I'm going to be purchasing a new macbook pro as mentioned. I had only been to the local Apple store so far, but being an ebay nerd......I looked around there also. There are a few people regularly selling macbk pros new in box, still sealed for very good deals. There was a 17" macbk pro for $2000! They all say "never been out of the box", blah, blah, blah. So where are these guy's getting the macs from? Are they apple employees suplementing their income. Are they refurbs being passed off as new? I want that 17"er for 2000.........but I'm concerned to. Will Apple tell you how it was sold if you give them a serial number?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Anybody?
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dryfly View Post

Anybody?

Those might be "old" models, i.e. last generation models (CoreDuo 2.16 GHz, not Core 2 Duo 2.33 GHz).

I don't think, though, that Apple is willing (although they're able to) trace where a specific computer was sold through. Unfortunately they are not even a big help in identifying stolen computers...

My advice: if you have a bad feeling in your stomach looking at such an offer, forget it and buy your computer directly from a legitimate source (or from the Apple Refurb store). You might save yourself a lot of trouble...

(Btw, here in Switzerland, a few days ago an investigation started because of a person who sold Macs for multiple millions over the internet for a lot less than what he had paid for in the regular stores. You had to pre-pay your machine and it was promised to be delivered six (!) weeks later. Of course at some point this didn't work any more, so over 800 people who lost their money in those kinds of internet sales are now waiting for something to happen. They will lose all their money, I guess).