Future Switcher, requires advice.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hey everyone,

To get straight to the point. I hate Windows, I hate Microsoft. I love OS X, I love Apple. At the moment i'm stuck running XP (Modded to look like OS X though ). However, I plan to buy a Mac when Leopard is launched. But the thing is i'm not sure what to get .

I'm a student, so I don't have un-limited funds to buy any Mac i choose.

The Macs i'm looking at are the following:

MacBook

* 1.83GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

* 512MB memory

* 60GB hard drive

* Combo drive

* £749

17 Inch iMac

* 1.83 GHz

* 512MB memory

* 160GB hard drive

* 24x Combo drive

* Intel GMA 950 graphics

* £679.00

Then i'm also considering getting a Mini (Either of them).

Here's what i'm running now:

Windows Xp Home Edition SP2

Intel Celeron

2.67 GHz

192Mb of RAM

It runs really slowly, i'm putting that down to the really low amount of RAM (On the subject of RAM, would buying an upgrade- say adding 512 mbs on. Would i see an increase in speed? I'd still want to get a Mac, but other family members would use my PC so it would help them)

I guess telling you all what i'm going to use my Mac for will help you help me decide which one is best for me.

90% of the time I will be using (Running at the same time):

iTunes

Web Browser

IM client

Word Processor

Obviously, i'll use iMovie, iPhoto etc too and I play games a few hours a week. Occasionally, doing some graphical stuff on Photoshop too. That's all I really use my Computer for.

So what would you advise me to get (Please bare in mind I'm only willing to spend more on the iMac/MacBook if the Mini really won't run as fast as I want it to.

What I want to know basically is:

How much faster does an iMac/MacBook run compared to a Mini?

Will the iMac run any faster than the Macbook or vice-versa?

Thank you all in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Personally I'd go with the iMac, but I can see a few telling you to get the Macbook. The iMac will be more hardy, and the MacBook will be more portable. I'd go with the iMac and upgrade the RAM with any money you've left over, after that I'd add the £40 for wireless keyboard and mouse, enjoy. Actually if you're going to spend £749 on a MacBook, why don't you pay £799 for this;

17" iMac 2.0Ghz

1GB memory

160GB hard drive1

8x DL SuperDrive

ATI Radeon X1600 graphics

Ready to ship: 24hrs

Free Shipping

£799.00

(£680.00 ex VAT)

Add £40 for the wireless mouse and keyboard, and you've got a nice machine right there with the all important screen real estate and a dedicated graphics card.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    I think you would be fine with the mini, the Macbook or the entry level iMac IF you don't play games. If you plan on gaming I would get the 17" iMac with the graphics card. It costs a little more but also comes with more RAM. The integrated graphics will allow you to do some gaming but obviously without knowing the games you intend to play I can't tell you if they would play well on a Mac with integrated graphics. Marvin is a user with considerable knowledge on gaming with Macs and integrated graphics. Hopefully he will chime in and give you his thoughts on the matter.

PS. Just saw Irelands post and agree with his recommendation. That's a fine system that will do all you want to do very well.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    Thanks for the replys.

Ireland: Yeah, i did look at that iMac. However, as much as i'd love to get it and i'm sure the graphics card will be better. The fact is it's 120 more than the other iMac, and i don't really need the graphics card or the extra RAM (Unless the Basic iMacs RAM won't allow me to do everything i need it for).

Back tomac: Thanks. When i say i play games; i'm not a dedicated hard-core gamer I just play games every now and again, so anything that will play games at a decent enough speed is okay with me. Kind of games i like to play (Not sure if they're all available for Macs): WoW, Total War, Command & Conquer etc. Mostly strategys/RPG's.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Marvin can tell how those would play with integrated graphics. I don't know. Still if you can afford the upgraded 17" iMac it would ensure that you could do all that you want to do. I'm not trying to up sell you but I'd hate for you to get the 17" iMac and be unable to play the games you want. That may leave a sour taste in your mouth about Macs. Noboby wants that.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    Sure the 512 of RAM will work, it's not Vista we're talking about here. From personall experience though, having 1Gig as opposed to half a Gig is a world apart.

Get the one you said, and upgrade the RAM to 1Gig. It still works out less than the MacBook.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    Thanks again.

Heh, nothing could leave a sour taste in my mouth about Macs. I'm completley Apple obsessed . To be honest, i'm not that bothered about the games. I'm sure the games I mentioned will run on the basic 17", as they all run on the pc i use at the moment (Apart from WoW). Although, they run slowly they still work, so if there are mac versions of the games i'm positive they'll run on the 17".

I think if i were to go with the iMac i'd get the basic 17" one, then possibly upgrade to 1 gig RAM. I've pretty much gone off the idea of a Mini. So now i'm left with the choice between the iMac or the MacBook. Apart from the price and obvious points, are there any perfromance differences between the two?
  • Reply 7 of 17
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    My opinion? You're a student: you should have a notebook. £799 gets you this:

1GB 667 DDR2 - 2x512MB SO-DIMMs

60GB Serial ATA drive (5400rpm)

Keyboard (English) & Mac OS (English)

Country kit

1.83GHz Intel Core Duo

Combo Drive

AirPort Extreme Card & Bluetooth

Power Adapter

Battery

You'll get far more mileage out of a computer that you can take with you (at least at this point in your life). The iMac is a good one if you decide that you have no use for a computer that you can take to uni. You'll be happy with either purchase.

And, the two computers that you're considering are essentially the same computer. I believe that the graphics card on the iMac is a bit better.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Thank you.

Yes, I agree a laptop will be more valuable to me at this time.

So just to clarify; the specs you posted, are they just the £749 MacBook with an extra 512 RAM added?

Edit: Just checked Apple store, i'm pretty sure thats what it is.

Thank you everyone for your advice. I've decided to purchase the MacBook, i'll probably buy an extra 512 RAM but i'll give it a spin first. Now all I have to decide is whether to buy iWork 07 and QT Pro or not.....
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Top_Slacker View Post

Thank you everyone for your advice. I've decided to purchase the MacBook, i'll probably buy an extra 512 RAM but i'll give it a spin first. Now all I have to decide is whether to buy iWork 07 and QT Pro or not.....

What's iWork '07?
  • Reply 10 of 17
    Haha, you know what I mean.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Quote:

Yes, I agree a laptop will be more valuable to me at this time. So just to clarify; the specs you posted, are they just the £749 MacBook with an extra 512 RAM added?

Edit: Just checked Apple store, i'm pretty sure thats what it is.

Got it in one. Enjoy!
  • Reply 12 of 17
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    If you're a student, why are we discussing Apple's standard prices?

What kind of student are you?

Edit: Just noticed that could be read the wrong way. It's meant as a genuine question rather than a put-down
  • Reply 13 of 17
    The kind which isn't old enough to receive student discounts, sadly.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Hey everyone,

To get straight to the point. I hate Windows, I hate Microsoft. I love OS X, I love Apple. At the moment i'm stuck running XP (Modded to look like OS X though ). However, I plan to buy a Mac when Leopard is launched. But the thing is i'm not sure what to get .

....I guess telling you all what i'm going to use my Mac for will help you help me decide which one is best for me.

90% of the time I will be using (Running at the same time):

iTunes

Web Browser

IM client

Word Processor

Obviously, i'll use iMovie, iPhoto etc too and I play games a few hours a week. Occasionally, doing some graphical stuff on Photoshop too. That's all I really use my Computer for.

So what would you advise me to get (Please bare in mind I'm only willing to spend more on the iMac/MacBook if the Mini really won't run as fast as I want it to.

What I want to know basically is:

How much faster does an iMac/MacBook run compared to a Mini?

Will the iMac run any faster than the Macbook or vice-versa?

Thank you all in advance.

Firstly, OMFG a new Mac will blow your mind over your Celeron...!!

You MUST answer this question:

Which of the past, current and future RTS do you want to play?

Command&Conquer3?

LOTR:BattleForMiddleEarth1?

LOTR:BattleForMiddleEarth2?

Dune2?

• Reply 15 of 17
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    For your basic tasks, the Macbook is best for you. Believe me, the mobility comes in handy.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    Thanks.

sunilraman: I'm not that bothered about the games. I'm happy to just try out new games. The games I play at the moment (Or should i say attempt to ) are: All the Command & Conquers, Sim City 4, Battlefields and a few online games (Runescape, GunZ etc).
  • Reply 17 of 17
    Quote:

Thanks.

sunilraman: I'm not that bothered about the games. I'm happy to just try out new games. The games I play at the moment (Or should i say attempt to ) are: All the Command & Conquers, Sim City 4, Battlefields and a few online games (Runescape, GunZ etc).

If your into RTS games get WarCraft 3 Frozen Throne, its incredible. Definitely my favorite RTS of all time