Gates: Nowadays, security guys break the Mac every single day.

almalm
Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
"Nowadays, security guys break the Mac every single day. Every single day, they come out with a total exploit, your machine can be taken over totally. I dare anybody to do that once a month on the Windows machine."

So Jobs is not the only one who live in his imaginary world.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16934083/site/newsweek/

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    almalm Posts: 111member
    Damn it: Gates said it! )) Please, edit topic title!
  • Reply 2 of 23
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Is this interview a joke? Is it April first? What's with all the [brackets]?

I love how he mentions that Apple doesn't distribute security updates....

Quote:

The number [of violations] will be way less because we’ve done some dramatic things [to improve security] in the code base. Apple hasn’t done any of those things.

Hey Gates, obviously you do not use Mac OS X because we get these updates every month! Oh, and they're free

Quote:

We'll make it so that a lot of the high-level graphics will be just built into the operating system.

Hey Gates, did you know Mac OS X has had these features for years now with CoreImage, and next with Leopard, CoreAnimation.

Is it just me or is Gates a complete tool? I mean his social skills are terrible. I love how the interview is conducted by Steven Levy, a huge Mac guy and how the "Major Surgey" ad is on every page
  • Reply 3 of 23
    proxyproxy Posts: 232member
    Wow... we should all give up our defenceless Macs and move to vista. Haven't you heard... Vista is "dramatically more secure" than any other operating system according to Mr Gates.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ALM View Post

Damn it: Gates said it! )) Please, edit topic title!

Done.
  • Reply 5 of 23
    smaxsmax Posts: 361member
    Quote:

A lot of what we put into this version was layering work that will let us take the upper parts of the system, like the browser, and let us do more regular releases. So there [will be further releases] at least every couple of years, and in some parts maybe even yearly.

So they're going to try to do exactly what Apple has done...

But it seems like they're going to charge $400 every singe time (if you want ultimate).
  • Reply 6 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smax View Post

So they're going to try to do exactly what Apple has done...

But it seems like they're going to charge $400 every singe time (if you want ultimate).

So that brings me to an interesting question...if some upgrades from Ultimate to Home Edition, will they lose all their "ultimate features"? lol
  • Reply 7 of 23
    rob05aurob05au Posts: 348member
    Bill Gates is Jealous and Jealousy is a curse.
  • Reply 8 of 23
    rob05aurob05au Posts: 348member
    But if that wasn't enough here is another

Bill Gates: We were first, we were best, we are more secure

Code:

http://weblog.infoworld.com/openresource/archives/2007/02/bill_gates_we_w.htm

• Reply 9 of 23
    Is there a video of this interview somewhere? Oh, and BTW, the Newsweek.com video player crashes my Safari every time.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    UGH! It's this kind of FUD that makes microsoft as "sucessful" as it is... I've heard a good number of poeple complain about the "get a mac Ads" as stretching the truth, but as far I'm concerned it's about damn time Apple started fighting fire with fire.

I hope Apple comes out with Ads implying all your windows software will be broken so don't upgrade or buy a new computer, oh and that Vista is insecure and untested. The key word here being "implying" to reduce lawsuits and be marketing fire at it's best (worst).
  • Reply 11 of 23
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    The bit I liked was when he said:

"If you just want to say, "Steve Jobs invented the world, and then the rest of us came along," that's fine. If you?re interested, [Vista development chief] Jim Allchin will be glad to educate you feature by feature what the truth is."

Wasn't Jim Allchin (cool name) the one who said in 2004 that if he didn't work for Microsoft, he'd get a Mac?

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/...in_when_i.html

It sounds to me like Jim Allchin knows exactly where the ideas came from and for Gates to criticize Steve Jobs is nothing more than puerile. Steve jobs is the CEO, not a developer so nobody would say he invented everything. I'd love to smack that weedy little lying prick hard. A pie in the face should suffice:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...45765531799467

Oh, oh what's that? You have cream in your face and you're going to cry?
  • Reply 12 of 23
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jApple View Post

I hope Apple comes out with Ads implying all your windows software will be broken so don't upgrade or buy a new computer, oh and that Vista is insecure and untested.

Not quite there, but they are making steps in that direction. Example 1 and Example 2.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    smaxsmax Posts: 361member
    They should make a commercial where the PC's guy's wearing a shiny coat but his arms won't work... like they're completely limp. The reason? He upgraded and he doesn't have drivers for his arms.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    i realy cant believe that he hasnt seen the 'get a mac' ads... he probably has, but if he starts talking about them, he starts to cry...
  • Reply 15 of 23
    Windows should just stick a fork in themselves, they're done. I played around in Vista at Fryes this weekend and I cant believe how much copying they took literally from the Tiger banners 2+ yrs ago.. The drop shadow around the entire window is regoddamndiculously ugly. Its basically XP on eye candy steroids.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    Gates is a perfect example of the Peter principle. No thinking person will be fooled by this bloated, sickly version of Windows. I've had a PC since the mid 80's and this is the last straw for me. When XP support is dropped in a couple of years (or sooner) I'm getting a Mac.

Rich 8)
  • Reply 17 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichardI View Post

Gates is a perfect example of the Peter principle. No thinking person will be fooled by this bloated, sickly version of Windows. I've had a PC since the mid 80's and this is the last straw for me. When XP support is dropped in a couple of years (or sooner) I'm getting a Mac.

Rich 8)

As far as I understand it Rich, support for XP ends as soon as you install Vista

Or do you mean support for XP being the only OS on your machine?
  • Reply 18 of 23
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichardI View Post

Rich 8)

Why wait?
  • Reply 19 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPeon View Post

Why wait?

Leopard...and then I'm gone from the WIndows camp. I agree that Vista is the final straw on the camel's back.

Too expensive.

Too late.

Too derivative.

And too onerous.

And I think that the most disastrous part of that interview was when he challenged anyone to hack Vista...what a stupid, arrogant thing to do! Now every hack will be celebrated as an "in your face, Bill Gates!"

• Reply 20 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

Not quite there, but they are making steps in that direction.

Did you see this new ad? Cancel or allow!?

http://images.apple.com/movies/us/ap...ty_480x376.mov

The only criticism is that I would have the mac say something like "Well, I'm secure without all that hassle, and with you're new expensive, uh pain, are, what?" PC: "Yeah, no need to rub it in"