Gaming help...Please

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Is there a program i can get that will let me run windows games without buying windows and using bootcamp. i really want to play games on a mac.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I'm not sure if this will work for your needs, but it's probably your only hope.

/PS, do you mean the star Polaris sucks?
  • Reply 2 of 21
    thanks and no not the star...polaris snowmobiels
  • Reply 3 of 21
    Oh right. We don't get snow here.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    where you live? calafornia? in canada we get LOTS of snow
  • Reply 5 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by polarissucks View Post

where you live? calafornia? in canada we get LOTS of snow

Look under my name it says where I live.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    lol...thanks great help that was
  • Reply 7 of 21
    Quote:

lol...thanks great help that was

It's hard to determine by your wording if you were being sarcastic or not.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    Quote:

Is there a program i can get that will let me run windows games without buying windows and using bootcamp. i really want to play games on a mac.

What games do you want to play? What Mac do you have?
  • Reply 9 of 21
    i have 24 inch imac. i want to play like elder scrolls
  • Reply 10 of 21
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:

i have 24 inch imac. i want to play like elder scrolls

Nothing extreme then. You're going to need Bootcamp for that one I'm afraid. Oblivion is one of the most graphically intense games ever made so you should use it natively in Windows, not in any compatibility environment like Crossover.

Bootcamp isn't that bad and if you look in the right places, you can get genuine Windows CDs very cheap. Rebooting isn't as much of a problem as I thought it would be. It helps separate work from play.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    srsly
  • Reply 12 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Bootcamp isn't that bad and if you look in the right places, you can get genuine Windows CDs very cheap. Rebooting isn't as much of a problem as I thought it would be. It helps separate work from play.

Hmmm where would that very cheap Windows CD be? Hell I don't even need a CD-Keycode...I just need Windows SP2 (I have 1a)
  • Reply 13 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shadow Slayer 26 View Post

Hmmm where would that very cheap Windows CD be? Hell I don't even need a CD-Keycode...I just need Windows SP2 (I have 1a)

same question i have
  • Reply 14 of 21
    cato988cato988 Posts: 307member
    Quote:

same question i have

now that vista is out, prices should be dropping for xp
  • Reply 15 of 21
    i hope so... i want to play my elder scrolls boo hoo
  • Reply 16 of 21
    what kind of price drop do you guys expect..maybe only cost 100 for the xp soon?
  • Reply 17 of 21
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Maybe for the price of Vista or twice the price of XP, you can get a PC gaming rig which includes OEM WinXPro2. [???]
  • Reply 18 of 21
    i dont want that though... oh well i dunno
  • Reply 19 of 21
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shadow Slayer 26 View Post

I got a CD from someone at work who had some special deal possibly via ebay on a bunch of CDs. I didn't think they'd be legit but they are the real deal boxed CDs with holograms and all and the systems register as genuine. It cost me about £30.

The thing is, if you just need SP2, you should legally be able to download a torrent and use your SP1 activation code. Sometimes local libraries (especially university ones) have copies of operating systems too.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I got a CD from someone at work who had some special deal possibly via ebay on a bunch of CDs. I didn't think they'd be legit but they are the real deal boxed CDs with holograms and all and the systems register as genuine. It cost me about £30.

The thing is, if you just need SP2, you should legally be able to download a torrent and use your SP1 activation code. Sometimes local libraries (especially university ones) have copies of operating systems too.

Or you could slipstream your 1a CD with the SP2 update and create a new install disc that works with BootCamp. Google slipstream to find out how to do it (you may need a PC to create the disc though).