Siti

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
I have been thinking about starting a new global project. You've all heard of SETI, and we can run programs on our computer to scour through the data looking for signs of alien intelligence.

I think this project is doomed.

Firstly, it assumes too much, Secondly we're looking in the wrong place.

Therefore I propose a new project. SITI.

Search (for) Intra-Terrestial Intelligence.

It needn't be an expensive project requiring billions of public money, tons of space age equipment and number crunching software running on millions of PC's. To start off, myself being the founder of this project, I propose that I/we simply scour public Internet Forums looking for the faint mumbling signs of Intelligent Life closer to home.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarcUK View Post

I have been thinking about starting a new global project. You've all heard of SETI, and we can run programs on our computer to scour through the data looking for signs of alien intelligence.

I think this project is doomed.

Firstly, it assumes too much, Secondly we're looking in the wrong place.

Therefore I propose a new project. SITI.

Search (for) Intra-Terrestial Intelligence.

It needn't be an expensive project requiring billions of public money, tons of space age equipment and number crunching software running on millions of PC's. To start off, myself being the founder of this project, I propose that I/we simply scour public Internet Forums looking for the faint mumbling signs of Intelligent Life closer to home.

Sod off, yer wanker!
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Nice idea.

Does this now mean that I am the first SITI positive confirmation? As someone intelligent enough to see the humor in this, and be the first open supporter, I believe I qualify.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    justinjustin Posts: 403member
    Oh I get it.

So where do we start looking?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Mmmm... ziti. I also like pancakes.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarcUK View Post

How will we know and recognize this 'Intelligent Life' if we were to find it? And does this not suppose that those who are searching possess at least some basic portion of intelligence to begin this endeavor? Is there a 'basic training' for these SEARCHERS that can be taken, and perhaps a badge and sash to wear while scouting so that we do not conclude we've achieved our goal, when only to find that one searcher has found, not "IL", but another searcher? It would seem wise to avoid the paradox of creating a self-fulfilling prophecy, would it not?

Paz
  • Reply 6 of 6
    justinjustin Posts: 403member
    Perhaps.

Self-authenticity searches beyond a mirror, and navel gazing SETI scientists fail to apprehend the existential emptiness - the inner elan and force of their own void projected into the heavens.

Ah well. False alarm.

Back to reading the weekend funnies then.