Switching to Mac

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hey,

I'm a long time Windows user, I've dabbled in some Ubuntu, Fedora Core, and Mandriva, but never in the Mac OS. Anyway, I'm planning on buying a Mac, but I need some input, what should I get (I'm planning on getting a laptop) a Macbook Pro or a Macbook? I'm using this for school and work mostly, and the smallness of the Macbook attracts me to it. I don't know what kind of software I should get or compatibility... I have a networked fileserver, and wifi, is everything sort of plug-and-play? I'm sorry I probably sound like such a noob. Also I want to get a large monitor for when I do work at home, I was hoping to get a 20-inch Cinema Display because they're just so damn sexy. But at 700 dollars, I don't know if its worth it, for an extra 180-ish dollars I can get a Acer 32 inch monitor. Anyway, I would just like some input, thanks.

-Sohail

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SRajabi View Post

I don't know what kind of software I should get or compatibility... I have a networked fileserver, and wifi, is everything sort of plug-and-play?

well.... what are you trying to DO

pretty much plug and play... or should be
  • Reply 2 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    The Macbook probably won't be powerful enough to drive a 32-inch display but it depends on what resolution you put it up to. The Apple site says it can only drive a 23-inch Cinema display at most.

If I didn't need the 3D graphics and had a 20-inch display or less, I'd go for the Macbook.

The good thing about the Macbook is that Ram and HD are easily changed unlike the MBP but you only get a glossy screen.

For portability, the weight difference between the MB and MBP is minimal but the form factor of the MB is easier to deal with. I think a lot of people are still waiting for a 12" MBP.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    get the black macbook. core duo 2 2.0 ghz , 2 gb ram, 120 gb hard drive.