can i edit video on my mac like this...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
i wont do much video editiong so cant buy a new camera. my video camera wont hook up to the computer so can i hook it up to my pvr/dvd recorder and then put it on disk and edit it. should i finalize it like a dvd or leave it dvd recorder editable?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    wow. your video camera won't hook up to the video camera? cool.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    man i am smart... i mean it wont hook up to computer
  • Reply 3 of 14
    wircwirc Posts: 302member
    Why? What kind of connector do you use? This is pretty exceptional, unless you are using a non-digital camera.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    my video cam only has tv inputs...
  • Reply 5 of 14
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    Presume you must have an old Digi 8 camera or something of that ilk.

You need one of these

http://www.canopus.com/products/videoconversion.php a/d converter. Then fw into the Mac.

DataVideo make one also, Formac used to (don't know if they still do - but they were a bit flaky)

or rent a Sony DSR 11 deck for the day. do not be tempted by Pinnacle's Dazzle or any of those that are USB 2.0 - stick with the Canopus for use with a Mac.

Or you may be able hook up a friend's cam that has fw and do a/d conversion that way. Rca's or S in>fw out to your mac. That'd be the cheapest.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    thanks
  • Reply 7 of 14
    k ...that thing is bloody expensive for something i may use 5 times...ummm will burning my dvd work??? i cant find a cheaper one... i am just gonna use it once or twice
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by polarissucks View Post

k ...that thing is bloody expensive for something i may use 5 times...ummm will burning my dvd work??? i cant find a cheaper one... i am just gonna use it once or twice

Borrow a cam to do the conversion then and capture to dv ntsc or pal.

Don't do the dvd thing - coz what'll happen is your video will be compressed to mpeg2. You will then have to use Mpeg StreamClip (free) to demux the video and audio streams back into a QuickTime dv file for editing.

You may not be happy with the compression then reconversion. You're always best to start off with the least amount of compression or better still none and work in the native capture format - however good ol dv has turned itself into the format which most people are happy enough with.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    ok can i buy a pc version...transfer the video to my brothers computer. them put it on my computer...use quicktime pro to convert to apple file and then edit it and use in home movies???
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Pc version ? Of what ?

But yeah if - whatever that thing is works with a pc - and it's your most economic way out.

Sure. np.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    The problem with the cheaper analog to digital video converters, mac or pc, is that they convert to mpeg or some other compressed format, whereas the more expensive firewire converters convert video into standard uncompressed DV, which is really what you should be using to edit.

Quote:

ok can i buy a pc version...transfer the video to my brothers computer. them put it on my computer...use quicktime pro to convert to apple file and then edit it and use in home movies???

• Reply 12 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rminkler View Post

The problem with the cheaper analog to digital video converters, mac or pc, is that they convert to mpeg or some other compressed format, whereas the more expensive firewire converters convert video into standard uncompressed DV, which is really what you should be using to edit.

agreed.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

i wont do much video editiong so cant buy a new camera. my video camera wont hook up to the computer so can i hook it up to my pvr/dvd recorder and then put it on disk and edit it. should i finalize it like a dvd or leave it dvd recorder editable?

Worst case if you have no options, you should finalize it like a DVD. And then import that DVD into the Mac via MacTheRipper, FfmpegX, Handbrake, MpegStreamclip, or so on. Don't bother with using a PC for any part of the conversion.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    ok i think i will do that. i mean its not pro video its just for a first try. if i get good and like it more i will do something better and more perminent