12.1" Macbook Pro

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Does anyone have any information on when these are being released (or if they even will at all?)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 63
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    No. There's desire, and speculation, but absolutely no evidence that Apple is going to release a 12" MacBook Pro, beyond "there used to be a 12" PowerBook and I liked it and there's no technical reason they couldn't so they should and they will."
  • Reply 2 of 63
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    The speculation is rampant. Apple does need to do something with its $1,399 to $1,999 gap. Informed speculation here, however, is that Apple will release a 15.4-inch widescreen version of the MacBook to fill this void.
  • Reply 3 of 63
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    The 15" Macbook is way overdue.
  • Reply 4 of 63
    applepiapplepi Posts: 365member
    I don't think you can count on a 12". Does anyone even make a 12" widescreen LCD panel that is at least 1280x800? Because you know Apple isn't going to release a non-widescreen laptop. The days of 4:3 monitors are gone. I think the best you'll get is a 13.3 inch, same size as the macbook.
  • Reply 5 of 63
    Dell makes a widescreen in 12" screen size. It's the Latitude d420. I still doubt Apple will release one as it bumps against the 13" Macbook IMO. I think a 15" Macbook at $1599 would better fill in the gap in the product lineup. That would sell like hotcakes IMO.
  • Reply 6 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

The 15" Macbook is way overdue.

What would be the incentive for anyone to purchase a 15" MBP if there was a 15" Macbook?

Will the MBPs' "bells & whistles" be enough? I have always appreciated the sizeable discrepancy between the Consumer and Pro lines, enough that I've always felt the Pros are worth the premium.
  • Reply 7 of 63
    applepiapplepi Posts: 365member
    Size shouldn't be the only factor. We've seen from the rest of the PC industry that even 17" laptops can sell for under $1000. So I don't think you can really convince anyone that a bigger screen should mean more money. It really has to come down to a better build (aluminum body) and better internal components like video cards and stuff.

Personally though I think the macbook pros are overpriced to begin with. They really should come with a lot more then they do at the price they are at. They should just drop the 15" down to $1500 and the 17" down to $2000 and just give the stock macbook better graphics. I think that would make most people happy.
  • Reply 8 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CoolHandPete View Post

What would be the incentive for anyone to purchase a 15" MBP if there was a 15" Macbook?

The MBP is a 'pro' machine. Pros pay for graphics cards because they use them. It's rediculous that you can't get a 15" screen without buying a pro machine and paying a pro price. As other posters have mentioned, a pro machine should be determined by the internals not the screen size.
  • Reply 9 of 63
    One can buy a 15.4-inch Windows-based notebook for less than $1,500 with a graphics card. Time to pony up, Apple. Your line up is looking more and more pathetic.
  • Reply 10 of 63
    I agree that there is a market for a larger Macbook, but also that there is a market for a smaller Macbook Pro. People who honestly don't need and/or want the bells and whistles of the Pro line probably don't want to pay for them either, and so I can see the desire for a larger screen. I can also see why people who DO want those bells and whistles, like myself, might want them in a more portable package. The large size of the current Macbook Pros is the only thing that has kept me from buying one.

So yes, there is a market for both. The original question was if and when for the smaller Macbook Pro. I'd also like to know the opinions of people who have been playing in the Mac World for longer than I. Do you think it likely that a 12" Macbook Pro will be released?

Whether you think so or not, if it was to happen this year then when do you think we would hear of it? I've heard some people say Feb. 20th, but I'm not sure where that date came from.

Cheers,

CT
  • Reply 11 of 63
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CheddarTrek View Post

The large size of the current Macbook Pros is the only thing that has kept me from buying one.

Same here. Not only the Pros, even the Macbooks are too big for many people. I, for one, will not give up my 12" Powerbook G4 in favor of a 13" Macbook.

Come on, Steve! Where's that "one more thing" where you pull out a superslim, superlight notebook for people who want the ease of use of a Mac but without don't need to do everything on it?
  • Reply 12 of 63
    NEVER NEVER is when Apple will release a 12" MacBook Pro. The 12" PowerBook G4 was cool, but did not sell well enough. This was evidence enough for Apple.

Never is also when Apple will release a 15" non-Pro MacBook. It just won't happen.

It is FAR more likely that Apple will bump up the specs on the black Macbook and raise the price a little to fill in the gap between US$1399 and US$1999.
  • Reply 13 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by opnsource View Post

NEVER NEVER is when Apple will release a 12" MacBook Pro. The 12" PowerBook G4 was cool, but did not sell well enough. This was evidence enough for Apple.

Never is also when Apple will release a 15" non-Pro MacBook. It just won't happen.

It is FAR more likely that Apple will bump up the specs on the black Macbook and raise the price a little to fill in the gap between US$1399 and US$1999.

We're gonna hold you to that!
  • Reply 14 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

We're gonna hold you to that!

You bet!

Hey, by the way, I think the quote is to "put a dent in the universe, not a ding...
  • Reply 15 of 63
    Quote:

Hey, by the way, I think the quote is to "put a dent in the universe, not a ding...

Hmph, good thing you noticed. Time to change it up anyway, I forgot that was even there.
  • Reply 16 of 63
    Quote:

Actually the 12" PowerBook sold quite well. At least based on anecdotal evidence from everybody regarding what kind of Apple laptops they saw in public.

The 15" MacBook may or may not come. Most consumers no longer segregate screen size by price the way Apple does because WinTel laptop pricing doesn't.

Finally I think Apple will release a subnotebook. Looking at their line-up it's the only real hole (aside from the 15" MacBook, but that's much more arguable) and it is their only chance to increase laptop sales in Asia where tiny notebooks are hugely popular and even the 12" iBook/PB were on the big size (the toilet seat iBook, for example, was much too big).

Japan used to be their number 2 market and I no longer think that's the case (UK now, right?). However it's still big for them and there's a lot of residual Apple love. Bring back Macworld Tokyo, introduce subnotebooks, and bring out an iPhone that can compete with keitai[1] and I think Apple could do very well because Apple's sense of design fit in much better with Japanese culture. Heck Windows can't even render Kanji well.

[1] Japanese mobile phones. 3G is required along with maybe a TV tuner or something. Keitai are anywhere from 1 to 3 years ahead of us on the design and features curves.
  • Reply 17 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Electric Monk View Post

Actually the 12" PowerBook sold quite well. At least based on anecdotal evidence from everybody regarding what kind of Apple laptops they saw in public.

The 15" MacBook may or may not come. Most consumers no longer segregate screen size by price the way Apple does because WinTel laptop pricing doesn't.

Finally I think Apple will release a subnotebook. Looking at their line-up it's the only real hole (aside from the 15" MacBook, but that's much more arguable) and it is their only chance to increase laptop sales in Asia where tiny notebooks are hugely popular and even the 12" iBook/PB were on the big size (the toilet seat iBook, for example, was much too big).

The 12" PowerBooks were great machines, don't get me wrong. But the Black MacBook is supposed, from what I have been told by a friend who owns and opperaites my local Apple Resellers/Repair Center, to be aimed at that market. Higher specs than the regular MacBook, but not MBPro level. The only real hole in the line is between the Black MacBook and the 15" MBPro. They need to beef up the specs on the BlackBook so that it fills in that space.

Apple's portable sales have accounted for as much as 50% of thier sales in the past, you sound as if you think thier hurting and in need of some sort of fix.

Just because teeny-tiny notebooks are the thing to have in Aisia, does not mean that Apple "needs" to create a subnotebook. (For the record, how small of a screen can you go to before you sacrifice productivity?) Apple is not going to put a product into production just to please or appease one section of their global market. Japan is just going to have to embrace the 13.3" MacBook, because almost everywhere else in the world, people are trying to get their hands on the largest screen they can afford without sacrificing portability, and 5.2 pounds isn't going to break anyones back.
  • Reply 18 of 63
    lfe2211lfe2211 Posts: 507member
    Quote:

The 12" PowerBooks were great machines, don't get me wrong. But the Black MacBook is supposed, from what I have been told by a friend who owns and opperaites my local Apple Resellers/Repair Center, to be aimed at that market. Higher specs than the regular MacBook, but not MBPro level. The only real hole in the line is between the Black MacBook and the 15" MBPro. They need to beef up the specs on the BlackBook so that it fills in that space.

Apple's portable sales have accounted for as much as 50% of thier sales in the past, you sound as if you think thier hurting and in need of some sort of fix.

Just because teeny-tiny notebooks are the thing to have in Aisia, does not mean that Apple "needs" to create a subnotebook. (For the record, how small of a screen can you go to before you sacrifice productivity?) Apple is not going to put a product into production just to please or appease one section of their global market. Japan is just going to have to embrace the 13.3" MacBook, because almost everywhere else in the world, people are trying to get their hands on the largest screen they can afford without sacrificing portability, and 5.2 pounds isn't going to break anyones back.

With all due respect, I couldn't disagree more with your post. I think it's somewhat naive. There is a good US market for ~3lb, 11-12" screen notebooks for mobile professionals like myself. I travel frequently in the US and around the world to large Pharma/Biotech companies (FDA too) and in this community, this type of notebook has become commonplace. I have used a Sony T160 with a 10.6" screen for 3 years and it has made me more, not less, productive. I use complex relational database programs, large excel spreadsheets and analyze graphs & charts derived from both of these apps.

The biggest drawback for me is that the T160 can't run OSX.

There are many instances in all professions (e.g. engineering) where you don't need to take everything with you while on the road and you don't need a large screen to work effectively.

I'm hoping that Apple and SJ will fill this hole in the product line sooner rather later. BTW, there is a huge difference schlepping around a 5.2 lb compared to a 3 lb laptop.
  • Reply 19 of 63
    I just have to weigh in here. It isn't just Japan. Students who carry books around all day often consider the size/weight of laptops to be a primary factor in their purchase. Over half of my classmates - that's hundreds at just one school have sony or toshiba's because they are small. I personally know many who have said they'd have a mac except that they are too big, including the Macbooks.
  • Reply 20 of 63
    My 2 cents.

The 12" MBP doesn't target the two markets that Apple try to reach in their portable lineup. Macbooks are targeting consumers and MBPs are for creative pros. A 12" light weight portable would appeal to business users who travel frequently but Apple doesn't seem to aggressive in getting these buyers.

A 15" Macbook, IMO, would be appealing to consumers and therefore more likely to make into Apple's lineup. Concerns over canabalizing MBP sales are probably holding it back. However when Santa Rosa is released Merom is supposed to get a speed bump. This could allow MBPs to get a speed bump and make room for a 15" Macbook. It's a possibility anyway.

I can't see an enhanced blackbook filling the gap between MBPs and Macbooks. The blackbook is already overpriced and I don't know what Apple can do to improve value on this product while raising the price to fill in this gap. It only makes it look more overpriced.