New Intel = New Macs When?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Hey there everyone,

I've been considering buying a new Macbook Pro for awhile now, but I've held off in hopes that Apple would release one smaller than the 15". Lately rumors started to surface about the possibility of a 12" Macbook (with the rumors citing May/June '07 as a possible release date), and I've been waiting hopefully for a sign that they are more than just rumors.

Still, there is an upgrade coming from Intel before long. In April 2007 they are scheduled to release another wave of Merom processors, part of a platform code-named Santa Rosa, that should be a very nice addition to the next generation of laptops. I believe this information to be more than a rumor, and I'm sure many of you have heard it as well.

Since we can expect Apple to make use of the new technology, my question is... "If this new Intel technology is released in April 2007, when can we expect to see it appearing in Macs?"

I'd still like to have a small, portable Macbook Pro, but if one came out with the old processor then it would seem silly to buy it when the next generation of processors have already been released!

So folks, how does this work? Does Apple already have hardware from Intel (ahead of official release) to work with so that we could expect new Macs in May/June that incorporate the technology?

Cheers,

CT

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    The new Merom chips for Santa Rosa simply are made to work with its 800 MHz FSB. I'm sure Apple already has samples so the updated MBs should be ready to go in May. I have no idea about a 12" widescreen MBP but it makes sense. Apple already has patent drawings out there showing possibilities for optical access on a small MBP.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CheddarTrek View Post

Lately rumors started to surface

Don't believe rumors, don't rely on rumors, and buy what you know. That way you will not be disappointed.

Too many people go on rumor as an actual upcoming product and it's rarely the case. Then when the product does not appear they blame apple for not having the product they were waiting for. It's a ridiculous cycle of lunacy.

Your best off going on what is real, and what you need. Do you need a new notebook now, or not? If you need one, buy one, if not, don't.

No one in here knows for sure if apple has an updated or new notebook coming out in two weeks, or 20 weeks, or if they even have a new size. A rumor of a new size is dead give away not to rely on that info right there.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

Your best off going on what is real, and what you need. Do you need a new notebook now, or not? If you need one, buy one, if not, don't.

The laptop I have, a desktop replacement, is not completely out of date, but at around 4 years old it's getting there. I'll need a new computer this year for certain, but it's not so urgent that I have to get one right NOW.

I've decided to buy when the new processors are out, since I'm loathe to purchase a computer with a processors that's been out for a year with an upgrade on the immediate horizon, and I'll be getting a small laptop. If there isn't a Macbook Pro available (definately my first choice) then I will buy a PC.

My question isn't whether or not there will be a 12" MBP, it's if we will see the new processors in Macs in May/June of this year, or if it will be much later in 2007. Granted I'm intending to wait either way, but I'd like to have some idea of when the new technology will be implemented. I'd much rather have a new computer in May than November.

Thanks for your advice though, I do agree with it for the most part. I'm just trying to get a grasp on what might be available and when.

Cheers,

CT
  • Reply 4 of 15
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

My question isn't whether or not there will be a 12" MBP, it's if we will see the new processors in Macs in May/June of this year...

Most certainly yes I would say. That is if there are no delays from Intel's part. Apple just cannot afford to let its computer lines stagnant for more than 2-3 months after the release of a new technology that is going to be found fast in the machines from other manufacturers.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    If the chips are going to be available starting in May, I would make the guess that they won't be used in a MacBook Pro until June. And guess what big event is in June this year? That's right! The WWDC.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Cheddar, I can't blame you for waiting for Santa Rosa if you can. But you do know that the performance boost will be modest, right? Slightly faster clock speeds and faster FSB, that's all. If you are looking for some sort of 50% improvement, you'll be disappointed. As for the 12"MBP, I'm not against it, but I think Apple will release a 15" Macbook before a 12" MBP. And it's highly likely neither make it to market.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    o_rlyo_rly Posts: 27member
    Here is something interesting. Not only did LG Philips just announce a 15.4" (Macbook Pro size) LED backlit LCD, but they also announced a 12.1" model as well. Seeing as though a next gen screen would be available for a 12" model, it's not out of the realm of possibility. I think the biggest thing stopping Apple so far is finding a place in their lineup that wouldn't canibalize another model's sales...
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by O_rly View Post

Here is something interesting. Not only did LG Philips just announce a 15.4" (Macbook Pro size) LED backlit LCD, but they also announced a 12.1" model as well. Seeing as though a next gen screen would be available for a 12" model, it's not out of the realm of possibility. I think the biggest thing stopping Apple so far is finding a place in their lineup that wouldn't canibalize another model's sales...

Cannabalize -- very good term. That's been my point. Can anyone explain how a Macbook 15" wouldn't steal sales from the MBP market? I'm curious - from my point of view, the 15" MBP is the flagship, and I'm always excited to get on board.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CoolHandPete View Post

Cannabalize -- very good term. That's been my point. Can anyone explain how a Macbook 15" wouldn't steal sales from the MBP market? I'm curious - from my point of view, the 15" MBP is the flagship, and I'm always excited to get on board.

IMO, a 15" Macbook wouldn't canabalize MBP sales as much as it would upsell Macbook buyers. I think a lot of Macbook buyers would get the 15" Macbook instead of the entry level 13" model. People buying MBPs probably aren't even looking at Macbooks.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Cheddar, I can't blame you for waiting for Santa Rosa if you can. But you do know that the performance boost will be modest, right? Slightly faster clock speeds and faster FSB, that's all. If you are looking for some sort of 50% improvement, you'll be disappointed. As for the 12"MBP, I'm not against it, but I think Apple will release a 15" Macbook before a 12" MBP. And it's highly likely neither make it to market.

Thanks for your advice backtomac, and everyone else as well. I do know that the performance boost will be modest, but I get the impression from...

http://www.intel.com/pressroom/archi...0307corp_b.htm

Which I consider to be an official source, that it will be more geared towards laptops and power savings, perhaps helping with the problems of running hot and low battery life as well. Perhaps not. Either way, like you said, it's hard to blame me for waiting if I can.

If anything, the faster FSB bothers me a bit. I'd always heard that for optimum performance it's best to have the FSB speed match that of the RAM (I.e. 667 or 533, or whatever). Somehow I doubt that any new computers will ship with 800 MHz RAM!

That aside, the only computer currently on the market that has what I want for an acceptable price is the Dell M1210. I configured one of those for $1800 and bought it a few months ago, but the screen had the worst glare of any screen I've EVER seen, so I promptly returned it. I'm hoping that the new era of processors will bring a new series of computers, including Macs. Hopefully one of them will meet my needs (preferably the Mac!).

As for the 15" MB Vs. 12" MBP debate... I can see where a 15" MB might steal some sales from both the 13" MBs and the 15" MBPs. I could maybe see the 12" MBP stealing a few from the 13" MBs (from those people who chose it primarly for it's size), but not as many. I'm not sure even we'll see either one, but it doesn't hurt too much to hope does it?

Cheers,

CT
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Cheddar,

Saw the link. All Mac portables come with core 2 processors. I'm guessing you already know that but that's what that link discusses. I've a core 2 MBP and it runs very cool. I've had no problems with it getting hot to the touch. The battery life could be better. That's the only criticism I can give it. I wouldn't hesitate to get one today. The only thing I would wait for would be improved screens, which are rumored to be coming. I'm content with the screen on my MBP but the new technology coming to this area is supposedly a big improvement.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    I know there's not much history there, but the Core 2 Duo was released on July 23rd by Intel and Apple had it integrated into the iMac by September 6th. Roughly 45 days. It later made it's way into their MB and MBP. I bet we see a similar timeline with Intel's new chipset.

Granted the "boost" by this new chip won't be amazing compared to the C2D, but I think the chip is not the only thing that will make the next line of computers worth waiting for. I think the new chips will compliment the total package of hardware changes required to take advantage of the upcoming OSX, iLife, etc... Given things like "time machine" - it may be necessary to have more HD space (or even a separate HD for backups). Maybe the new computers will be set up to run 64 bit??? I don't know at all; pure speculation on my part but I gotta believe the next round of Apple's entire computer lineup will be set up to be fully compliant for a bunch of stuff that's way out on Apple's drawing boards....
  • Reply 13 of 15
    hobbithobbit Posts: 532member
    The important bottleneck, especially with a 64bit OS is RAM.

What do you do if you have a cool dual core laptop that can even run Windows (through virtualisation) and several other apps at the same time - speedwise - but is suffocated with 3GB of RAM?

Nothing.

You're just suffocated.

Future apps will need more and more RAM, and RAM as usual will get cheaper.

But if your motherboard chipset doesn't support more than 3GB you're stuck.

I'd wait for a MBP that can support 4+ GB of RAM. Maybe not today, but in 2 years you want 4GB. Unless you're prepared to buy another laptop in 2 years, wait for the new chipset.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Quote:

Hey there everyone,

I've been considering buying a new Macbook Pro for awhile now, but I've held off in hopes that Apple would release one smaller than the 15". Lately rumors started to surface about the possibility of a 12" Macbook (with the rumors citing May/June '07 as a possible release date), and I've been waiting hopefully for a sign that they are more than just rumors.

Still, there is an upgrade coming from Intel before long. In April 2007 they are scheduled to release another wave of Merom processors, part of a platform code-named Santa Rosa, that should be a very nice addition to the next generation of laptops. I believe this information to be more than a rumor, and I'm sure many of you have heard it as well.

Since we can expect Apple to make use of the new technology, my question is... "If this new Intel technology is released in April 2007, when can we expect to see it appearing in Macs?"

I'd still like to have a small, portable Macbook Pro, but if one came out with the old processor then it would seem silly to buy it when the next generation of processors have already been released!

So folks, how does this work? Does Apple already have hardware from Intel (ahead of official release) to work with so that we could expect new Macs in May/June that incorporate the technology?

Cheers,

CT

Maybe in June...He Said in Spring

Quarters are often like this:

Jan-Mar - Winter

April-Jun - Spring

Jul-Sept - Summer

Oct-Dec - Fall
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Thanks everyone for your replies. I really appreciate the discussion thus far, and now I've got a good idea of what to expect.

I'll wait until Apple announces the next Mac to incorporate the new processors, which may or may not be a MB/MBP, and just see what my options are. If a 12" MBP is released, I'll almost certainly buy that. If the 13" Black MB is upgraded to specs, including a graphics card, that I could live with, then I might buy that. If neither of those things happen then I'll either get a PC or wait for Penryn, but I won't make that decision until I see what we get along with Leopard.

Thanks again,

CT